Jealous devil?

I reported this in one of the thousands of charcoal threads a few months back.
I order mine online, apparently after speaking with the bbq joint they told me it was the exact same charcoal.
I found it hard to believe, same charcoal, all new bag and labelling ect........sound like not a cost saving exercise but there had to be a reason. The plastic bag did seem like a poor environmental option but that is all I could come up with between the 2 products.
I ordered a couple to make sure before I used all my " plastic bag JD " .
Basically The lower option in your pic is the old bag and does not exist anymore.....
It had a re sealable zipper on top that failed 50% of the time.
Both have XL labelled on the bag in different spots.
I opened the new bag which is a paper type bag to find the same goodies as I had previously in the plastic bags.
Nothing to consider or worry about here........
It is a must try, unless you are really close to the buck. It isn't cheap but I feel the benefits outweigh the high price.
At a cost per cook you may only be talking about a buck or two if you are doing a regular hour or 2 cook.
I have been using this steady for the last 6 months......the first time you use it and make it go super hot it will impress.....and the charcoal lasts a great amount of time too...... With long burn and re lighting it may get the same amount of cook or heat out of it compared to a lesser brand, but without a proper test I am just assuming on that one.
I pay basically 2 bucks per pound, I don't like that much but there isn't much choice in my area other than another brand.
The stuff that doesn't impress me when I use it cost me right around $1.25 per pound. I can see the value in it for sure.
Anyone considering it in this thread should just go get 1 bag and see for yourself.
Maybe not to use all the time but to try it out on a steak cook and then on a high heat cook like wings or something.
Picked up a couple bags , looking forward to my first cook with it.

I'm a bit late here and this might be a foolish question, but is $55 a competitive price for 30lbs of JD?? Never used it but I'm intrigued

I'm a bit late here and this might be a foolish question, but is $55 a competitive price for 30lbs of JD?? Never used it but I'm intrigued
last time i bought, it was $49.95 for a 35# bag of JDXL. love it and it has no waste, unlike KBB which is 19% filler. i think i am using less JDXL to cook with than KBB so i'm thinking my cost is a wash on price versus performance. JDXL burns a long time and i reuse my unburned fuel 100% of the time so I know i'm not generating waste.

Thanks Brett. Dig your cooks....skills, man.
thank you very much!

i've cooked with most of the products in the market. and just did a substantial clean of my E6. the KBB and other briqs residue in the lower bowl really build up over time. i scraped off a lot of solid junk from the briqs ash that eventually bakes on. the JDXL burns VERY clean, as in almost zero ash. and i've come to really like JDXL's flavor profile, a lot. i'd describe is as true, clean hardwood with no off flavors, no oils, no creosote, nothing. just clean wood nose. and you can add fruit woods to smoke with and their flavors come through as the JDXL doesn't compete with your fruit woods on flavor. again, giving a very clean profile.

Appreciate the feedback. I've been using flexible putty knives to clean out my Performer. Hoping the residue difference will mitigate this process

Appreciate the feedback. I've been using flexible putty knives to clean out my Performer. Hoping the residue difference will mitigate this process

these are cheap and super easy to move around and they form to the bowl's shape. and strong enough to loosen up the baked on crunk.

my goal is less cleaning, more cooking. i've got my next clean scheduled for 90 days to see the results. i'm 100% jdxl right now. i have some briqs and will probably burn through them in the summer on some longer cooks. i just won't be buying more briqs.

these are cheap and super easy to move around and they form to the bowl's shape. and strong enough to loosen up the baked on crunk.

my goal is less cleaning, more cooking. i've got my next clean scheduled for 90 days to see the results. i'm 100% jdxl right now. i have some briqs and will probably burn through them in the summer on some longer cooks. i just won't be buying more briqs.
Have some in the garage, looking forward to trying it. I thought the Briqs were ok, not amazing.

Care to give a description of your experiences? Curious how others like it and for why.

I think it worth says that I have tried 4 different types/brands of Lump Charcoal over the last few years and never really master cooking over the stuff and really identify as a briquette guy, but this experience has been very different.

The first reason I love the stuff is that it takes less time then any other charcoal I have ever used to get ripping hot and ready to pour from the chimney into the kettle. To add to that I am not uses as much charcoal because it does get so hot that I don't need a full chimney to grill up a couple chicken breast for a Wednesday night cook or for the first part of a reverse sear steak cook. The combo of those two factors has really cut down that wait/prep time for using charcoal. I have been ready to cook in like half the time then when using most other products. Once I light it through the whole process there is so little gray smoke and it smells so clean and with this "bright" "fresh" smell. Once it is hot it heats the kettle up evenly and I am ready to cook. The core reason I like it is the results of cooking on it. It is a superior experience cooking over this charcoal. I have posted both these shoots over in the photo section so I know that most of you guys have seen them, but just look at these results. The first is that Picanha that is perfectly red from end to end, the second is the Tri Tip we sear marks I have never been able to create before. For both these cooks I started with like a fourth of a chimney of hot new Jealous Devil Churx LX in the SnS and put the meat on the indirect side. When the steaks hit 110 I took them off and throw some more fresh JD XL in the SnS, just enough to cover the hot charcoal and again in 10 minutes the new charcoal was red hot and the thermometer on my kettle was pinned. Then I went to sear and get these results. I have never had such good results searing. The quality of the food I am pulling off the kettle using this charcoal has been really really good. Next, when I shut down the kettle I am blown away at how much of the charcoal is left over to reuse for the next cook. I will only use charcoal that is left over from last nights Tri Tip for the chicken thighs I am going to grill up tonight. I have gotten two meals out of every batch of JD XL I have used. Now I am only five cooks in (the two below, some chicken thighs, some chicken breast, and smash burgers using the CI skillet over the JD in the Smoky Joe) and all have been in the hot and fast category. I have not done anything long or low and I don't know how this would do in my little WSM 14 or my kettle with the Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System knowing how hot it can burn. After my first cook or two, I thought I am not going to use this for low and slow, I will keep using briquettes for that, but each cook I use JD XL I get more intrigued to try it low and slow. I have a low and slow planned for Sunday. Depending on how busy I am going to be I may or may not try JD XL for that cook. The one thing I am not sure of yet is I have some VERY large pieces (like won't even fit in the chimney) and I just have been moving those pieces around and using more manageable "normal" size pieces. What do I do with those massive pieces? How do I break them into more usable chunks? I told you above briquette guy here.

I know the sticker shock is there, I paid $25 for 20 lbs., but I know if I was using my favorite briquettes I would be getting ready to be almost through 2-16 lbs. bags after tonight's cook. I know I am not even half way through the bag of JD LX. I am very intrigued to see how long this bag last me. I know Brett and Darryl have post similar beliefs experience, but I really do think there is much more of a cost balance then I thought there would be when I bought it.

IMG_20220129_165646258.jpg

IMG_20220203_174928829.jpg

I’ll chime in a couple months later. Still using JD, that bag of Blues Hogs is sitting about half used. I continue to be not overly impressed with others I try. I need to try some B&B but my go to remains JD.

Just something about the flavor and smell that puts it on top. Very well could be less waste, I haven’t dumped my ashes in months, where it used to be weekly it seems.

I wish their pellets were as outstanding as their charcoal. Of course....no pellet is as good as charcoal...🤣

My local tractor supply company has jealous devil lump for 25$ a bag. and was on sale last time I was there for 20$ a bag.i got four this is the best lump burns for a long time. and great smell it is the best out there

Back