Jealous Devil lump

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
The price is high, people say good things.......
It’s basically all I use.....just for reference.
I just opened a new bag and this is what it looks like, mind you minimal waste is common at the bottom.
Yes I opened the bottom.....it had a rip there, only made sense.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 58
I have a bag in tha garage I’ll have to give a try.
I really like K-pro and it’s become my go to.

With the good old days of charcoal sales seemingly a thing of the past I don’t think the JD is crazy priced.

I use less JD when I cook so basically it lasts longer than K or KPro. Recycling the partially burnt coals are easy so I don’t think it’s costing me that much more, in addition to its better flavor profile that it imparts. Your steaks cost more per gram or pound. Just buy and use the best you can afford and enjoy life. It all moves too fast anyway to eat a bad meal.

Darryl have you ever used B&B lump? Just wondering how you think it compares. I am very fortunate to have academy nearby and use B&B pretty much exclusively as JD is about twice the price. But seems like I get a lot of smaller pieces. Seems like it might be worth a go. I'm not afraid of paying a little more for good stuff.

I’ve used B&B lump, and it’s nowhere close to Jealous Devil. Nor is Blues Hog. I’ve not found anything that compares to JD, it’s that good.

I don’t bother wasting my money on Kingsford anymore. Even if I’m out of charcoal and it’s all I can find...I’ll wait.

I’ve used B&B lump, and it’s nowhere close to Jealous Devil. Nor is Blues Hog. I’ve not found anything that compares to JD, it’s that good.

I don’t bother wasting my money on Kingsford anymore. Even if I’m out of charcoal and it’s all I can find...I’ll wait.
1653268818818.gif

Darryl have you ever used B&B lump? Just wondering how you think it compares. I am very fortunate to have academy nearby and use B&B pretty much exclusively as JD is about twice the price. But seems like I get a lot of smaller pieces. Seems like it might be worth a go. I'm not afraid of paying a little more for good stuff.
I have not used B&B at all.......I would say I am fairly unlucky but lucky also in a way.
My choice are very limited, probably because of where I live..... ( Not USA ). This is unlucky.
However I can get my order shipped form the city.....2 hours away and the have JD and others like green egg stuff, basically everything I need the stock. I can also ship 8 bags of charcoal plus spices n stuff for around $15....which is lucky.
Like Brett was sayin, there is always leftovers and they go on the bottom of the chimney, they light up real good and its topped off with fresh.
Smells good, tastes good, lasts a long time and the heat controls well, I can maintain any cook as if it were bricks and can burn insanely hot.
The bags are generally all the same, I would say more than 80% of the bag is a perfect medium size, a couple large ones that you can use either in an SNS or if smoking and waste...or sized small enough to fall through the chimney is minimal pretty much every bag.
For me to buy somethin that is " almost as good " it literally is about $8 - $10 less and the smell, taste ect doesn't compare.
this is why I use it, I just wanted to show people what the bag looks like as soon as you open it.
Hopefully more people would give it a go.

I could not agree more. JD is basically the only brand I buy now. This switch was truly a game-changer for me.

I don't turn my nose up at anything...what works for each person is a beautiful thing. Use what you like. But JD was absolutely a revelatory experience for me in the Performer, JJ, and smoker.

In the WSM last weekend, I went Minion method on 12lbs of pork butt for my baseball team: laid down some JD, then added a half-chimney of lit Kingsford. Held the temps around 230° for 13 hours. I added about 1/3 chimney of newly-lit pieces of JD about 9 hours in. Honestly, best pulled pork I've ever made.

A local HW store near me carries it for $60/35lb bag. This is admittedly pricey, but it also lasts much longer for me than other brands. In the end, for me, that's a price-wash between JD and anything else I've ever used.

Last edited:
I am going to get a bag of JD lump to try it out. So far, I like lump better than briquets, but there are some cooks that briquets are better, especially if the lump pieces are too small.

I have not used B&B at all.......I would say I am fairly unlucky but lucky also in a way.
My choice are very limited, probably because of where I live..... ( Not USA ). This is unlucky.
However I can get my order shipped form the city.....2 hours away and the have JD and others like green egg stuff, basically everything I need the stock. I can also ship 8 bags of charcoal plus spices n stuff for around $15....which is lucky.
Like Brett was sayin, there is always leftovers and they go on the bottom of the chimney, they light up real good and its topped off with fresh.
Smells good, tastes good, lasts a long time and the heat controls well, I can maintain any cook as if it were bricks and can burn insanely hot.
The bags are generally all the same, I would say more than 80% of the bag is a perfect medium size, a couple large ones that you can use either in an SNS or if smoking and waste...or sized small enough to fall through the chimney is minimal pretty much every bag.
For me to buy somethin that is " almost as good " it literally is about $8 - $10 less and the smell, taste ect doesn't compare.
this is why I use it, I just wanted to show people what the bag looks like as soon as you open it.
Hopefully more people would give it a go.
Well you have inspired me to give it a whirl. For a few extra dollars why not? When I do I'll report back.

HD does have it - 20 lbs for ~$25.

I’ll stick to KBB or Professional. Same contents in every single bag. Every single time. No picking through “sizes” or any other known or unknown junk that almost always makes it into bags of commercial lump.

HD does have it - 20 lbs for ~$25.

I’ll stick to KBB or Professional. Same contents in every single bag. Every single time. No picking through “sizes” or any other known or unknown junk that almost always makes it into bags of commercial lump.
JDXL, my 4 used bags, 35# each, has had zero foreign matter in any bag. The few super large pieces get whacked with my coal rake into normal sizes.

For a steak, like I did tonight, nothing, absolutely nothing, imparts better flavor than JD IMO. And the heat is usually at 1100°F on my CI grate.

I use Kxx for some low and slows until I finish what I’ve got. I’ve grown away from its flavor profile.

Last edited:
Thankfully, I’ve never had to experience coal rage with Kingsford anything. ;):LOL:

No knock, but if I have to pay ~$25 and hope I don’t get stones or insulation or pallet wood or any other thing besides what I believe to be in the bag, I’d go crazy. I’d much rather spend the extra money on good meat for the grill with the tried and true Kxxx than hope the bag I’m buying has zero foreign matter. It’s happened too many times with lump in my experience. It’s like wishing in one hand and....

Different strokes for different folks though and that’s what makes the world spin around, right? ;)

Back