Jealous devil briquettes

Mark Foreman

TVWBB Wizard
Found JD briquettes at my local HW store.
Anyone have any experience with these? The reason I ask is the local COSTCO doesn’t have Kpro in store but the JD is available. However, at $20 for 20 pounds, I thought I’d seek some of your experiences before purchasing.

I love them, haven’t done a long smoke yet.
I am really liking the clean burn on JD products. Food tastes better to me.

Amazon and Walmart sells JD lump and both deliver. I'd personally skip the briqs and buy the lump.

JD XL lump is on sale at Walmart (15# sack). And WM does free delivery. That's just $0.98 per# which is very good. Only beat that price once, maybe twice.

But if you want briqs, the price for JD seems quite expensive as the XL is the same price per #.

Call the Costcos near you to see if they have the KPro in stock. I kinda hate the ash that KPro leaves behind when done. JD lump is very clean burning with limited leftover residue.

Last edited:
As to the question asked JD briquettes are great and burn clean and long. They are large like the old Weber briquettes and I have used just them in a long pork butt cook and was happy with the smoke taste and ring- :)

Great for low and slow, not great for a hot and fast sear. I'm not sure why but they absolutely could not deliver a decent sear on some steaks I reverse seared a while back. It probably performed the worst of any charcoal I've tried. My guess is that it's because the briqs are so large that the lit surface area of charcoal in a chimney is less than what a lit chimney of smaller briquettes could produce.

Back