JBO Bacon and some other stuff

Tim McCann

TVWBB Honor Circle
A couple of weeks ago I posed a question on JBO belly. If anybody heard of or knew what it was. Well I had access to some and I pulled the trigger and got it and some regular pork belly. JBO stands for Japanese Break Operation. It is a thicker cut with all the rib meat attached. The bones have been carefully hand trimmed out. So the slab I have is about 4-5"s thick! Lots of meat! This is the piece I have, about 14lbs., sliced it in half for curing.

Seasoned up with Morton's Tender Quick for 5 days. The soaked in water for 4 hours, changing the water every hour. Then half got honey and brown sugar and the other half got pepper, garlic powder, salt.
Onto the WSM with KBB and Hickory.

Brown Sugar and Honey

Pepper

Made some ATBs some of my last bacon batch. Thick cut, doesn't roll very well!

While I had the smoker fired up did some CSRs also. Seasoned with Angelo's Pork & Rib rub.

Did this cook on higher heat than normal for bacon (250s) to see if I can't taste a difference. After about 2 hours off they came.

Meanwhile, everything else was spreading out and getting happy!

After about 3 hours pulled the CSRs and put them in foil and bathed them in Sticky Fingers and back on the WSM for another hour.
Plated with sprouts and squash.

CSRs turned out perfect! Moist and tender, but not falling apart. Bacon went in the freezer for slicing.

Thanks guys!

Very well done Tim, I am very curious about that bacon meat, JBO and how it turns out. Where did you find it?
Bill, my neighbor's sister gets it from Farmland packing plant in Neb. It's supposed to run around $2.85lb. and there regular belly is $1.25 for 14lbs and under. And $1.00 for 14lb. plus slabs. I ordered 1 piece of regular bacon which weighed 16lbs. and 1 piece of JBO which was at least 16lbs. She only charged me $25 for all of it! Got about 30lbs of bacon now!

Last edited:

Back