Jay Thomas Died

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/article169148042.html

Many folks remember him for his TV appearances, but he was very popular at an old Charlotte AM radio station called (Big) WAYS back in the late 60s and early 70s.

I remember him very well back in my grammar school days and on into jr. high school before he left town for LA. FM radio was just getting started good back then, but AM ruled the roost. Still wished we had that old tube radio.

Last edited:
Never heard Jay, not in my area, but those old tube radios STILL sound great. They are not expensive, now you have something to search for.....

That's sad, I remember him from Cheers, never heard him on the radio but that bit with Letterman is a classic!

Tim

I listened to Big WAYS all through high school (especially the Jack Gale Radio Program) but I didn't know that Jay Thomas was on the station, too.

I listened to Big WAYS all through high school (especially the Jack Gale Radio Program) but I didn't know that Jay Thomas was on the station, too.

Big WAYS spun off an FM station called WROQ (if I remember correctly), and Jay's daily show aired simulcast on both stations. A guy named Larry Sprinkle worked on the show, too, as comic relief. Larry went on to work for WCNC 36 as a weather man, but many would remember him for his Tidy Bowl commercial.

Channel 36 aired a tribute to Sprinkle about 10 years ago, which included a visit from Thomas. That was the last time I saw the two together.

Last edited:
Rusty, Larry Sprinkle had a small speaking part in "Fire Starter". He was one of the police men that chased the soldier with his boots on fire at the airport. He still gets checks from that bit! Usually only a penny, but he still gets them!
He has done several memories about his days with Jay. Wouldn't be surprised if he did something at the funeral.

Rusty, Larry Sprinkle had a small speaking part in "Fire Starter". He was one of the police men that chased the soldier with his boots on fire at the airport. He still gets checks from that bit! Usually only a penny, but he still gets them!
He has done several memories about his days with Jay. Wouldn't be surprised if he did something at the funeral.

Thanks, Phil! I'll have to check that out.

Back