Jalapeno Poppers

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
What is the best way to cook jalapeno poppers (jalapeno peppers split, stuffed with cheese, and wrapped in bacon) on the Weber? I usually use my smoker, but would like to use the Weber while I am doing burgers this weekend. Kind of thinking it may be a little messy with the cheese on the grates even if I lower the temp. Maybe do them on the top grates?

I usually do them basic indirect and use “regular” sliced bacon not, “thick” but, one day when I was truly trying to get a bunch off and another batch on it dawned on me to use a second rack! So, for any of these kind of things that want to go on and come off at the same time, I use a sheet pan rackIMG_0618.jpeg
then they go on and off in one opening of the lid and I’m less likely to “feed the fire” with something I don’t want to share!
IMG_0616.jpeg
we did the same for poppers, I don’t like the vertical cooker, not sure why, halved “Twinkies” are easier to clean and fill.
The bigger rack fits pretty nicely between baskets, the small one is really good for the shotgun shells! The big one was for tots.
IMG_0615.jpeg

Best ones I ever made were on the WSM. I cut the bacon in smaller strips to get one full wrap where the ends are both on top. Didn't overfill them with the cheese mix. and did a light glaze of BBQ sauce near the end.

IMG_20200525_163517013.jpg

IMG_20200525_171143012.jpg

IMG_20200525_173712769.jpg

I've also done them where I cut the bacon into small strips that just laid on top of the cheese mix filling. I like those because the pepper on the bottom wasn't covered in bacon and got a little more cooked and the bacon on top still got crispy. Seemed to be a more full flavor profile and not just completely covered in bacon. Just another idea.

Back