Jalapeno Popper Sausage.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I made some Jalapeno Popper Sausage and cooked some up this past weekend. I used Chud's recipe. If you haven't already go check out his youtube channel.

Cooking up some bacon for the sausage.

IcCivY4l.jpg

Seasoned meat. This was a ancient deep freeze tri-tip and some rib trimmings and some brisket fat.

I broke out my brand spanking new #8 LEM big bite grinder.

It made quick work of the 7 pounds of meat.

uTAv8HUl.jpg

Got the stuffer out.

Some links.

Jalapeno cheese links I made last time and Jalapeno Popper on the right.

FHOvwpFl.jpg

Cooked them indirect on the kettle at 225.

Cooked links.

Cross section.

Looks awesome, Dustin! I've watched a bunch of Chud's videos, but not sure I caught the jalapeno popper one, so I'll have to watch it!

What are your thoughts on your new grinder, and the new stuffer? Looks like you got through the batch on your stuffer, so maybe the one I got from Academy was just a lemon after all!

I've got some sheep casing on the way for a batch of Kabanosy this weekend. Can't wait! :)

R

I've had this stuffer for a long time. It's a LEM model. I just happened to catch that Game Winner one on sale and posted it for everyone. Game Winner is Academy's house brand so I suspect LEM made those. I went back to reviews of the older LEM model I had and I saw the same complaint that you had on the Game winner so maybe you got a lemon, maybe I got lucky, who knows. The new grinder is great! It seems to get a much better cut with less fat smearing than the Kitchenaid attachement. With the kitchenaid I'd get some silverskin wrapped around the cutting blade no matter what I did. But in all honesty I had sausage I made using both grinders side by side, and while the LEM one looked better, they tasted more or less the same. So I guess what I'm getting at, is you can definitely get by with that kitchenaid and make a good product. The LEM big bite grinder is just better and way more convenient.

I've had this stuffer for a long time. It's a LEM model. I just happened to catch that Game Winner one on sale and posted it for everyone. Game Winner is Academy's house brand so I suspect LEM made those. I went back to reviews of the older LEM model I had and I saw the same complaint that you had on the Game winner so maybe you got a lemon, maybe I got lucky, who knows. The new grinder is great! It seems to get a much better cut with less fat smearing than the Kitchenaid attachement. With the kitchenaid I'd get some silverskin wrapped around the cutting blade no matter what I did. But in all honesty I had sausage I made using both grinders side by side, and while the LEM one looked better, they tasted more or less the same. So I guess what I'm getting at, is you can definitely get by with that kitchenaid and make a good product. The LEM big bite grinder is just better and way more convenient.
I think I got confused on the stuffer! :) Not sure the one I got was made by LEM (or by whomever makes them for LEM), as it was really crap.

I'm in total agreement on the grinder.....you don't need the bigger grinder to make good sausage, but it sure is faster, and really nice to have if the batches get bigger! :) I also think I get a much cleaner cut from the knife and die on my bigger grinder, but that only makes sense if you compare the KA knife/die to the LEM knife/die.

R

Back