I've been on the look out for a 3 wheeler....

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
They don't seem to come up very often around here so I jumped on this one that someone posted on craigslist for $25. It sure is an older one - my guess is from the 70's. She's a bit rough; got some pretty good nicks, scratches and the like, but not dented at all. No rust through the bowl that I've found yet.

And, the bottom dampers are shot; they'll need replacing along with the front leg. The picture cut it off, but the front leg is really bent badly at its foot. I'll treat her to a new handle too in time. The top damper spins freely so I'll just clean that up. Glad to give this old girl a new home... and with a little bit of tlc, she'll look pretty darn good and get back in service!

ci86.jpg

0drh.jpg

Nice find, Pete! All my kettles are 3-wheelers and I've always felt they give better fire control than the One Touch models.

that's a beauty ! take good care of it. cut off all the vent bolts/screws and replace them with ss hardware. to make the nut tight on the bolt, just lightly smash the threads.
the wood handle looks good enough to rehabe, just to keep things original.

Nice find Pete. Your starting to build a nice collection...
You just got a genesis and now this... Good job!

Pete --- the wait was worth it. Given the info on the lid vent, that's a '71-'75 model year.
I've got one also, but yours is in better condition. Congrats...
And be sure to post-up your restoration photos. :D

Nice score Pete. A friend of mine has a couple of these he has rehabbed. I love the metal handles on the sides too. :)

Weber replaced the vent covers on one of my old 3-wheelers for free. It's worth a call. And that's not just an old 3-wheeler, that's an old REDHEAD! Highly coveted.

Thanks Lew and others. I did call Weber and they're sending out a leg kit and bottom dampers. I'll do the work myself and will do some prepping this week. Only one leg is shot and that's the front one, but it'll be nice to have a complete leg kit for spare parts for the other kettles I've got (now have 4 of the 22.5" including the one at my office). The legs are really frozen into the leg sockets so I want to be a bit careful in working them out. PB Blaster has been recommended to me so I'll try that and may add a little heat to the sockets themselves. I like George's idea and will go with SS fasteners.

If you get a complete leg kit, may as well change all three as they aren't in correctly anyway. Amazing how many people put the legs in the wrong holes.

Back