It's Winter Grilling Time....

Did you live here in 86?
Moved in in 92. But we had that crazy flood in 96 or 97. My old house had water running through the garage. And the bridge at CSUS had the American River (J Street?) maybe 5-7 feet below the bridge deck. I thought the levees were going to fail as they were so swollen. I’d never seen anything like it in my lifetime.

OK, I could have lived my whole life and not seen that!
Now, that said I’ve taken th trash to the curb in my boxers! NO, there are NO pictures!!!

December was very warm/good for Grilling in St. Louis this year. High temp was 75F with average temperature for the month at about 47F. 10 day forecast now shows several days < 32 F and a couple days in the 40s. I'll grill/smoke when it's cold outside, but I generally won't clear snow to get to my grills, or risk falling on ice.

St. Louis still hasn't had any snow accumulation, which is pretty strange. We normally get a little snow in December. I may have jinxed the whole town when I bought my new snow blower. ;)

It's 18 degrees here and it finally snowed for real yesterday. I'm not going out to grill at the moment, maybe in March.

December was very warm/good for Grilling in St. Louis this year. High temp was 75F with average temperature for the month at about 47F. 10 day forecast now shows several days < 32 F and a couple days in the 40s. I'll grill/smoke when it's cold outside, but I generally won't clear snow to get to my grills, or risk falling on ice.

St. Louis still hasn't had any snow accumulation, which is pretty strange. We normally get a little snow in December. I may have jinxed the whole town when I bought my new snow blower. ;)
The snow, all 17’, yes feet, of it is in Tahoe. And more expected shortly.

Last edited:
I visited Taho for the first and only time about 25 yrs ago. That was my first time snow skiing and seeing snow piled higher than my head. Saw how they use tall poles to mark the road sides.... hopefully they have enough equipment to dig out.

I visited Taho for the first and only time about 25 yrs ago. That was my first time snow skiing and seeing snow piled higher than my head. Saw how they use tall poles to mark the road sides.... hopefully they have enough equipment to dig out.
The poles only go to 10’ in height. They’re now buried in this recent storm. I’m pretty sure CalTrans uses GPS now to know where the roads are as they plow. Snow is a serious business up here. And respect Mother Nature. She always wins.

And Brett and I can drive to it if we want to, yet we don't have to shovel it.
Shovels are for amateurs and heart attack victims, a snowblower is the way to go here in the winter. I am seriously amazed at the range of climate you have in California. You get more of everything or nothing depending on what part of the state you're in.

Shovels are for amateurs and heart attack victims, a snowblower is the way to go here in the winter. I am seriously amazed at the range of climate you have in California. You get more of everything or nothing depending on what part of the state you're in.
Sierra Cement can not be cleared with a residential snow blower.

You mean really wet, heavy snow? If you know that from personal experience with a certain machine, then ok I believe you.
I dont recall the what neighbors had. I shoveled driveways (as a healthy teen) that neighbors could not blow because it just clogged their blower. It wasn't for money, it was my parents asking me (telling me?) to help shovel so they could get their cars out to get to work.

Sometimes sierra snow is light and sometimes it is so wet and heavy it will bend a snow shovel. We had steel scoop shovels and every scoop was heavy.

My Dad had a snow blower on a tractor when we lived in Connecticut, and he was out shoveling twice as much as I could.

Last edited:
I dont recall the what neighbors had. I shoveled driveways (as a healthy teen) that neighbors could not blow because it just clogged their blower. It wasn't for money, it was my parents asking me (telling me?) to help shovel so they could get their cars out to get to work.

Sometimes sierra snow is light and sometimes it is so wet and heavy it will bend a snow shovel. We had steel scoop shovels and every scoop was heavy.
Yep, that's heart attack snow for sure. I used to shovel driveways as a kid myself. I never asked for anything, but usually got some money or at least a hot chocolate out of it. There is a pretty big range of capabilities on a snowblower, so you have to have the right one for the job I guess.

Yep, that's heart attack snow for sure. I used to shovel driveways as a kid myself. I never asked for anything, but usually got some money or at least a hot chocolate out of it. There is a pretty big range of capabilities on a snowblower, so you have to have the right one for the job I guess.
Yeah, 6500 foot elevation didn't help. My dad was in great shape in his 50s and could easily kick my skinny butt. Neighbors were happy we helped out.

As a snowblower forum member too, I can confirm that winter is serious. Any long-term resident knows. Some rookies find out quick. Meanwhile over here, nor much snow. There are serious worries, that climate issues and pollution are coming home to roost. Dgmw, there will be lots of snow late in winter. All the moisture is there. Just wait. But in reality, we are on the slope

Back