It's ALIVE!

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Has not worked (consistently) since Superbowl Weekend. Weber replaced under warranty (in order)

1) Fan Assembly
2) Auger & Motor Assembly
3) Glow Plug Assembly and Glow Plug
4) Motherboard

A lot of troubleshooting but other than the downtime, no problem. I did learn that you don't need a working glow plug to make the SmokeFire work, the glob plug is a convenience not a necessity (I figured that out on my own, not from Weber) Greatly appreciative of Weber's standing behind their products

Yeah Baby
a7UDp2u.jpg

What it looks like after running it at 600 degrees (Chuck approved test & sanitary cycle)
ARAHKIh.jpg

Can you guess the first cook? That's right BURGERS!!!

Definitely happy for you. The SmokeFire is so hard to place. I love the creative, non-me-too design, the fabulous results we have seen here, and its Weber style. It is just so disappointing then to read so many accounts of what I consider excessive component failures and other operating issues. I still would love to have one of my own to experiment with, but if I ever jump in, it will be with both eyes wide open.

Has not worked (consistently) since Superbowl Weekend. Weber replaced under warranty (in order)

1) Fan Assembly
2) Auger & Motor Assembly
3) Glow Plug Assembly and Glow Plug
4) Motherboard

A lot of troubleshooting but other than the downtime, no problem. I did learn that you don't need a working glow plug to make the SmokeFire work, the glob plug is a convenience not a necessity (I figured that out on my own, not from Weber) Greatly appreciative of Weber's standing behind their products

Yeah Baby
a7UDp2u.jpg

What it looks like after running it at 600 degrees (Chuck approved test & sanitary cycle)
ARAHKIh.jpg

Can you guess the first cook? That's right BURGERS!!!
You put foil on the bottom?

Definitely happy for you. The SmokeFire is so hard to place. I love the creative, non-me-too design, the fabulous results we have seen here, and its Weber style. It is just so disappointing then to read so many accounts of what I consider excessive component failures and other operating issues. I still would love to have one of my own to experiment with, but if I ever jump in, it will be with both eyes wide open.
It's hard to say what would be best in your case. If you bought one used, you're more than capable of fixing anything that goes wrong. However, if you bought one new, you get warrantee that Weber clearly stands behind. In the case of the motherboard, I pulled it out when Weber said they were sending a replacement. I left it on the counter, my son saw it (he builds high end gaming computers as a side hustle) he fixed something on the motherboard and it's working. I'm going to keep the motherboard Weber sent, after all it was defective, but it's nice knowing I have a spare since I don't know when my son will be moving out, but it will be sooner than later, he's saved up some big bucks to buy his own place.

I have to admit, it is fun to work on, just not fun when you were hoping to use it and it doesn't work, LOL

Just got mine up and running today as well. Happy to have it at the temporary rental for the spring and summer, while the house is rebuilt.

Bought Cabellas pellets and damn if they aren’t dead on for Webers.

Updated the SmokeFire, piece of cake this time.

I’m still on my original glow plug and it works.

Had to order some parts from Weber as I’m out of warranty, I have a large flavorizer bar and pellet slide on the way.

She’s running like a champ right now.

For $9.99 a bag these Cabellas pellets are amazing. I got the competition blend and a few others to try.

I'll bet what your son saw is likely the same thing I fixed on the m/board with my Member's Mark. Cheap Chinese solder that crystalized and cracked on one or more of the switching or power transistors (or whatever they call them now adays. If like mine it made everything "wonky" threw errors and so on. My buddy sucked out all that junk solder and resoldered with good ol' Merican lead solder. That grill's working like an absolute champ.

I'll bet what your son saw is likely the same thing I fixed on the m/board with my Member's Mark. Cheap Chinese solder that crystalized and cracked on one or more of the switching or power transistors (or whatever they call them now adays. If like mine it made everything "wonky" threw errors and so on. My buddy sucked out all that junk solder and resoldered with good ol' Merican lead solder. That grill's working like an absolute champ.
I know he did some soldering, because I had to put it away 😂

He also had to replace something on the board, he has all kinds of computer bits. Some of it is too tiny for my fat fingers to pick up. He did say it was junk and the difference between what he pull up and put in is about 50 cents 😂

Interesting, I was able to google the assembly instructions and found that blow up

Several users on another site claim Weber has told them it’s supposed to be installed under the bar.

Hmmmm🤔

Here are a couple screen shots from Weber produced videos.

IMG_6644.pngIMG_6643.png

Last edited:
Interesting, I was able to google the assembly instructions and found that blow up

Several users on another site claim Weber has told them it’s supposed to be installed under the bar.

Hmmmm🤔

Here are a couple screen shots from Weber produced videos.

View attachment 87919View attachment 87921

Who knows…but even the newest Sear+ instructions show it on top.

IMG_2237.png

Back