It's 4 AM, Do you know where your butt is?

John Horton

TVWBB Member
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Just put mine on to the sweet sounds of Funk #49 (thank you Sirius!). 8 lb. bone-in rubbed yesterday afternoon around 4 with the sucor rub (I reduce the pepper in the rub by half) and re-rub before putting on the WSM. I use the MM with chunks of oak and cherry. I add some apple about 2-3 hours in. I baste with a mixture of Martinelli's apple juice, fresh honey and turbinado. Can't wait....

John

John, I'm watching my butts cook ,smoking a cigar with a great cup of coffee. Nothing better then getting up early and watching the WSM do it's thing. Good luck with your cook

icon_smile.gif
Were cruising along at 225 and the sun's been up for about a half hour. Your right it doesn't get much better then this!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I'm jealous! It doesn't get much better than the flow of smoke and the sunrise!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. About the only thing I like about winter is a cool crisp morning with the smoker going. Spring, Summer and Fall have other virtues but the smell of smoke in the morning is still right up there as one of the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I'm jealous! It doesn't get much better than the flow of smoke and the sunrise!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. About the only thing I like about winter is a cool crisp morning with the smoker going. Spring, Summer and Fall have other virtues but the smell of smoke in the morning is still right up there as one of the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*nod* You almost had me wishing for winter for a second there
icon_wink.gif
It'll be here soon enough Jerry.

Well I can not comment about the smoke in the morning, but so far the first butt smoke for me is going well. Got up this morning and my wife and I took our 2 year old to the Please Touch Museum in Philly. Came home and took the Butts out of the fridge. They weren't totally defrosted so i put them in a warmish water bath. Around three put them on the WSM and am just sitting back, drinking a beer or three (Miller Lite), and watching the Phils. So I gotta say the I do know where my butts are and its been a good smoke so far.

Mine just plateaued and is finally cruising to 190. Should be done in about an hour then rest for another. Then it's Qtime! Paul and Kevin, Hope your smokes go well! Enjoy!
Go Phils and Iron Pigs!

Well she was a big one 8lbs, went on at 4 AM pulled her off at 8:30 PM. MMMMMM MMMMM Good!!! By the way thanks Bryan for the recipe for the finishing sauce, what a difference it made. Thanks again.

John
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Just picked up a clay saucer (14 inch) at the hardware store. Perfect fit right inside the water pan. Gonna smoke a couple of Butts(just finished rubbing mine) tonight and have some friends over tomorrow. Slaw, Beans, and Pulled Pork. Then, fresh homemade raspberry ice cream. Excellent!

I just gotta say that Real Pulled Pork, where have you been all my life. WOW. I have done a few smokes that have turned out great, but when I opened up my foiled packs to pull the meat, it was better than expected. The bark held up, the smoke smell filled the room, and it pulled almost perfectly. Only problem was at 11:00 at night i was all alone in my kitchen and no one to enjoy with since my wife was in bed. So, I sampled a lot and just enjoyed the experience. Now all I need to do is to start making some sauces from this site.
Tonight I am taking it over to a friends house for dinner. I am excited because he went to college in the carolinas and always gripes that there is no real BBQ up here, so he will be a good judge of the finished product.
I hope everyone had a good smokin weekend like i did.

Kevin, sounds like everything went great. I don't bother even defrosting my butts anymore. I put them right on after coating with rub. Nice deep smokering.

Back