It sure has been awhile, questions about a party for 60

Richard Diaz

TVWBB Pro
I'm doing my annual tailgate this weekend. I'm doing a party for 60 people mostly adults, I would say 10-15 kids. I have already prepared 19 lb pre-cooked butts that are sitting the freezer, I guessing I have 11.4 lbs cooked pulled pork(40% reduction). I plan on doing some spares as well. I'm thinking 16-18 racks. I'm thinking 3-4 oz of pulled pork per person and 4 ribs per person or 3-4 servings to a rack or 3-4 to 4 ribs per person. Do you guys think this is enough food? One of my buddies is doing the sides baked beans, mashed potato bar, appetizers etc. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Only issue I see is whether or not you want to suggest only one pork slider per guest. It sounds like you'll have plenty of ribs and other eats though, so all should be happy.

I would like to see coleslaw added to the sides, I like coleslaw on my pp sammy.
How about dessert? I'm all about dessert.
Strawberry shortcake maybe?

Have a great time!

Difficult to judge meat at the best of times. I had (adult) kids over one time with what I thought was enough ribs (actually, 2x what I thought). Both boys ate 95% meat and little to none beans, slaw, buns.

Ran out of meat and who wants sides by themselves. Just my experience but maybe reconsider meat quantities per person.

I have done several large butt cooks in the past couple months with pre cook weights of 100 lbs, 75 lbs, 48, and 83lbs. Every single one was right at 50% yield from the precooked weight. The 83 lb cook was exactly 50% down to the ounce. I do not trim any fat prior to cooking, but we do remove the fat while pulling. We do 4 oz sandwiches so we get 4 sandwiches per lb of cooked or 2 lb uncooked.

If you are going to have ribs I would do slider buns instead so your pulled pork portion is smaller, around 2-3 oz per person rather than a full sandwich at 4 oz.

A slider, 4 ribs, and some sides is a good meal.

Back