It just looked so gooood at Costco

How did this compare to the batch you did a week or two ago over an open flame? Do you have a preference? Did you change anything else other than how you cooked them?

How did this compare to the batch you did a week or two ago over an open flame? Do you have a preference? Did you change anything else other than how you cooked them?
Good questions. The ones cooked over JD on the WSK had a gentle nose of lump charcoal. This one was missing that layer.

I could go either way again in the future but that light charcoal nose was very pleasing.

We’re in the midst of a heavy winter storm, thus I did this cook on the inside CI grate.

I enjoyed both, but with a nod to the open flame cook as slightly better. Smoke adds another dimension.

This cook had a splash of mirin on the ahi as it marinated. Small and maybe not noticeable flavor perception. I did this so the sugars in the mirin would char a little thus lending a little caramel flavor. Kind of esoteric for flavor experiment but I’d still do it again.

The base marinade was seasoned rice vinegar which helps dry the ahi. I then patted the steaks dry and rubbed on some avocado oil. And then added the cracked black pepper layer. Flavor was great. Very neutral whereas you can taste the tuna and it’s not adulterated.

My sauce was warmed water, dissolved unbleached sugar, Japanese brand Yamasa soy sauce and a splash of sesame oil. Served over steamed jasmine rice with some sliced green onions, and English cucumber. And then I added black and regular sesame seeds atop the dressed ahi.

I liked both versions. With a slight advantage to the charcoal seared version due to the added nose flavor. But I’d cook both versions either way depending on outdoor weather.

If you enjoy ahi, I’d say give this a go. I think any key component of this cook is not using a solid surface, like a flat CI pan. Having the ahi on a grate allows the fish to warm through without overcooking it which will dry it out. And using a grate allows the avo oil to drip off the steak and create those contrasting bits of some char and rare protein. This is a texture issue for me. It’s how I like this steak to taste.

These two pieces were around $50 total. And the meal was dinner for 3. We have a few leftover slices, maybe 5, which will be breakfast or lunch today.

Paired with a beer, lager style, this makes a really nice meal. Hopefully you have access to fresh ahi like this. Its a nice change to substitute out red meat for ahi.

I’m trying to cook and eat more seafood this year. Not that we’re health nuts, but trying to lean up our diets and just less heavy, long digesting foods.

Let me know if you have more questions. I’ll do my best to answer.

Gave it a try tonight. Got two small ahi steaks, and tried them two different ways. One was a quick marinade of soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, salt, and pepper. Before I put it on the grill, I sprinkled some sesame seeds on it. The other was just oil, salt, & pepper.
1000003519.jpg
Put it on my pellet grill over the sear station. It is my best option for a super hot sear.
1000003524.jpg
Here's the final product. The Asian style one was cooked pretty well, just a smidge too long. The S&P one got overcooked and was closer to medium. :(
1000003526.jpg

The family liked it better than they thought they would, so that means I get to try it again sometime.

@Brett-EDH - thanks for the detailed explanation above of your different methods.

And this is going to sound stupid, but I learned something new today. Never realized that ahi & yellowfin are the same fish. LOL.

Gave it a try tonight. Got two small ahi steaks, and tried them two different ways. One was a quick marinade of soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, salt, and pepper. Before I put it on the grill, I sprinkled some sesame seeds on it. The other was just oil, salt, & pepper.
View attachment 87219
Put it on my pellet grill over the sear station. It is my best option for a super hot sear.
View attachment 87220
Here's the final product. The Asian style one was cooked pretty well, just a smidge too long. The S&P one got overcooked and was closer to medium. :(
View attachment 87221

The family liked it better than they thought they would, so that means I get to try it again sometime.

@Brett-EDH - thanks for the detailed explanation above of your different methods.

And this is going to sound stupid, but I learned something new today. Never realized that ahi & yellowfin are the same fish. LOL.
You did well for your first go. I’d call that a win! A suggestion, you might try to cook the ahi barely marinated and use a sauce as a drizzle to finish it once served. This way you’ll get the tuna taste with the sauce enhancing the tuna.

Use 1 minute per side as a starter for experimenting with cook through.

And salmon works well with this method too!

You’re very welcome! Enjoy!

You did well for your first go. I’d call that a win! A suggestion, you might try to cook the ahi barely marinated and use a sauce as a drizzle to finish it once served. This way you’ll get the tuna taste with the sauce enhancing the tuna.

Use 1 minute per side as a starter for experimenting with cook through.

And salmon works well with this method too!

You’re very welcome! Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions. I only marinated it for about 20 minutes before throwing it on, so no issue there. But yes, I could have used a little something to drizzle over it at the end.

Thanks again!

Back