It’s the most wonderful time of the year

Love Hatch chilis. Did not get exposed to them until we moved to Texas. Do you grow your own?
No, my buddy has the Texas route (I have Idaho) he bought back a box of them. I was polite, I didn’t take the whole box, but I plan to visit the box again 😂

Being honest here.......
These chili's are not something we can get up here and if we could fresh wouldn't be an option I am afraid.....
So what's all the hype about?.......How good are they and what do they taste like?......What do you do with them most often????
I see these being made in massive batches and being inhaled in fairly large amounts......the spice level is my next question.
They do look good Chuck, that's a pretty big pile for just snacking.

Being honest here.......
These chili's are not something we can get up here and if we could fresh wouldn't be an option I am afraid.....
So what's all the hype about?.......How good are they and what do they taste like?......What do you do with them most often????
I see these being made in massive batches and being inhaled in fairly large amounts......the spice level is my next question.
They do look good Chuck, that's a pretty big pile for just snacking.

Do you have a Sprouts up there? Sprouts here carry them, not yet but soon. I mostly make them into a Guacamole for dippin' but as you would imagine, they bring any salsa to a whole new life. What you can do with them (like almost any pepper) is unlimited. Many people dry them out making them into various spices, I've not done that because I don't have the patience for it, but I have been given dried Hatch Chilis, and it's pure gold. I got up extra early this morning, and added some chopped to my eggs. Wonderful

Hatch chiles vary in heat level, but somewhere between 1,000-8,000 on the Scoville scale. Jalapenos are 2,500-8,000 as a reference.

The taste unique; like a green bell pepper and a jalapeno had a baby but earthier and buttery when roasted. Like wine, chile peppers are representative of the soil/air/water area they are grown in.

You can always scrape out the veins and seeds to lower the heat level - and you can order some direct from Hatch to try out

Several years ago, our local Vons market took the left over Hatch chiles and made a batch of pork sausages. They were really really good!

But, they haven't had them the last couple of seasons. I keep asking though and if they show up again, I'm buying the display case lot! :giggle:
Try making your own sometime, here is a link to some seasoning:

Thanks for the tips!
Being north of the border limits me to a bunch of things.....
I wanted to order a certain type of beef one time and there was no way I was getting it.
I would imagine they could be grown around here like other chilis but if there is no wants for them then there is none available I suppose.

I read about the Hatch chiles many times - right here at the TVWBB. Once on a trip south to Idaho, we came across some at a grocery store. They were great on tortillas with scrambled eggs & cheese for breakfast. On a burger too. I was hooked. Not too hot - ours started off pretty zesty and then mellowed out nicely. Good flavour.

Several years ago I saw some at the grocery store here in Alberta, but had never seen them here before or since.

I don't think many people up here are familiar with them at all.

Hatch peppers are really good, they are available in my area now. If you never had them, they come canned but not as good as fresh but better than the Ortega green peppers in a can. :) They usually come labeled to the heat level. I’m weak so I get the mild.:LOL:

Another option to just give Hatch green chile a try is get a jar - the real deal, made in New Mexico.

I buy these at my Von's, but you can get a jar off of Amazon
View attachment 76706

And if you like the jar, you'll love fresh roasted on your own. (y)

Seems like an awful tempting way to try it out.....then I took a look.....you thought sriracha sauce now a days was expensive...
I might take an alternate route.

1691684628507.png

$93, yikes. That's 86 cents an OZ. Next thing you know, fentanyl dealers are going to start selling Hatch Chilis :)

:LOL:
That's pretty funny........yah they are pretty large jars for sure and you get 2....Metric would call that about 2.2 Liters which is a ton of chilis.
But the price is insane......
I will keep my eyes open at the different ethnic food stores that I travel.
I just want to see what all the hype is, every year around now a few of you guys get all excited.

Back