Is this Acurite thermometer any good?

Last year, around this time, Amazon had the Maverick 733 for $49 on sale. I would hold out for a few weeks, and see if it happens again.

The clock on my bench at work is an AcuRite It's had the same batteries in it for at least 4 years. It also displays Day, Date and Temperature.
When my outdoor weather station stopped working a couple of months ago I replaced it with an AcuRite mostly because of the quality and accuracy of the clock.
I don't have the cooking probe thermometer but I am satisfied with 2 of their products.

My Apologies to StanSulli ... Quick Off Topic Question

Brian Dahl... What brand weather station ?
Skywarn member here so I'm keeping my eyes out for a full station ala Davis type / quality.

Bob

it's similar to this, Bob: Link Mine is an older one, I don't have text alerts, my display isn't in color. The anemometer doesn't spin, the wind direction isn't much better. I've been meaning to contact Acurite to see about repairs - this discussion has now kicked my a** into gear!

Well, when you get it and test it; let us know!

I haven't had Dan's good fortune w/ my weather station: all I'm getting is precipitation and temp readings now.

The thermometer came in today and since there are no reviews on it here I thought I might as well provide one.

I got it on ebay. $17 and change, free shipping. I used it tonight and it did fine.

It's nothing too fancy which is okay with me. I wanted something to register the internal temp. of what what I'm smoking. It does that.

I have a $3.99 stand up oven thermometer I sit on a grate to tell me the temp. in the smoke chamber. It's very accurate.

I don't need a $50 - $99 turbo, dual probe, tactical bluetooth device to smoke with. Looks like I'm all set for around $20.

I did the ice water and boiling water tests and it registered +1/+2 degrees over in both tests. I don't see that as a problem.

The first 1.5" of the probe is tapered making for easy insertion. I've always found probe insertion in fish a pain. The probes tend to come lose, not enough to bite into.

I used it on a salmon filet tonight and inserted it ito the thickest part, which was none too thick, set it for 145 deg. and it did fine.

It has a bunch of pre-sets for beef, chicken, lamb etc. that will supposedly give you rare, med. rare, medium and so on but I intend to use the "custom" setting and just set it for what I want.

There is a plastic? handle between the probe and cord that Acurite says can handle temps. up to 700 deg. Hard to believe but I bet it can handle 500 easily.

The cord is that braided metal stuff you have to be careful with.

There are two well placed magnets on the back. I placed the thermometer on the refrigerator. The magnets are pretty powerful.

All in all, I like it a lot. Now we'll see if it stands the test of time.

If you have any questions, ask away and I'll try to answer.

Correction and additions;

This is an Acurite model # 00277. It was $19.25 with free shipping on eBay. Amazon has it for $17.27 but shipping is $6.72. No thanks on this one, Amazon.

I forgot to mention it has both Celsius and Farenheight settings and registers temps. from 14F - 450F and 10C - 232C.

Again, if you have any questions about it, just ask.

Thanks for the review, Stan. I'm with you in preferring simplicity over too many options.

Are you able to set your own temps or is it just the presets from the manufacturer? I had an Oregon Scientific probe thermometer that just worked with presets; for pork it was 160*. It would count up, but wouldn't register above the 160*. I figured this out when I making pulled pork, when I was aiming more for like 195*.

Back to my saga with my weather station: I have an e-mail in to CS about the repair; poking around on their site, they sell replacement parts. So, one way or another I should be able to get it functioning again!

Back