Is there something beside the Maverick ET-732

Craig Wallace

TVWBB Member
All:
I’m looking for a better alternative to the Maverick ET-732. After using one for a couple years I’m so done with it. I have a new one in the closet as a back-up and I’m not going to use it because I know I’m still going to be buying probes every six months after they fail without any warning. When it works, I love it.

Yes, I’ve read all the stuff, never get the probes wet, never submerse etc. It does not make any difference. I handle them like they’re expensive china and they still fail at the most inconvenient times. The input plugs are cheap and the probes are even cheaper.

I like the wireless option and being able to monitor pit and food temperature. I’m just tired of dealing with the company to keep a stock of probes. I am glad to see a few other vendors selling the probes but the fact is, the probes are too temperamental and can’t take any moisture. Unfortunately, smoking at low heat creates a lot of moisture even when there is no water in the pan. My digi que probes, two years have never failed, not once: The Maverick ET-732 probes fall apart just from using them. Okay, I’m done complaining.

What other more durable alternatives are out there with similar features? I trust my digi que 100%, but I like the peace of mind of a backup alarm while I’m sleeping. Money for a good durable pit and food probe with wireless features is not a problem: I just don’t see anything competing with the Maverick ET-732. Looking for some feedback from the community. Anyone using the iGrill for Android?

Thanks in advance,

CraigW

Thermoworks makes an excellent unit that monitors food and smoker temps, but it's not wireless. Good luck on your search to find a good unit that satisfies.

Looks like iGrill is compatible with Android. Bluetooth in a concrete house can be problematic. I'll check out Polder and Thermoworks too.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have a Maverick ET 7 that has worked great. Also have the 732 but use the 7 more. In fact I keep the 7 inside the frig where I age my briskets and the probe seems to be fine. I also have a Tayor remote and it has kept working also. These are less expensive than the 732 but seem to be better.

That's good to know. I like the Maverick when it works. It's just not durable. I'll check out the other models mentioned.

All:
I’m looking for a better alternative to the Maverick ET-732. After using one for a couple years I’m so done with it. I have a new one in the closet as a back-up and I’m not going to use it because I know I’m still going to be buying probes every six months after they fail without any warning. When it works, I love it.

Yes, I’ve read all the stuff, never get the probes wet, never submerse etc. It does not make any difference. I handle them like they’re expensive china and they still fail at the most inconvenient times. The input plugs are cheap and the probes are even cheaper.

I like the wireless option and being able to monitor pit and food temperature. I’m just tired of dealing with the company to keep a stock of probes. I am glad to see a few other vendors selling the probes but the fact is, the probes are too temperamental and can’t take any moisture. Unfortunately, smoking at low heat creates a lot of moisture even when there is no water in the pan. My digi que probes, two years have never failed, not once: The Maverick ET-732 probes fall apart just from using them. Okay, I’m done complaining.

What other more durable alternatives are out there with similar features? I trust my digi que 100%, but I like the peace of mind of a backup alarm while I’m sleeping. Money for a good durable pit and food probe with wireless features is not a problem: I just don’t see anything competing with the Maverick ET-732. Looking for some feedback from the community. Anyone using the iGrill for Android?

Thanks in advance,

CraigW

I'm right there with you, Craig. I've been disappointed with the ET-732 from the get-go. The wireless range is pretty minimal, and won't go through even the thinnest walls. I got my DigiQ DX2 soon after the ET-732 and haven't used the Maverick enough since then to have put any strain on it, so that may be why I haven't had the probe problems you've had. In the quality and durability department, the Maverick is a toy and the DigiQ is a tool - the good kind - as far I'm concerned. I'm glad to hear about the Polder. I'm going to check that out, because there's times I'd like a second pit and/or food probe, and I just don't have much faith in the ET-732.

I use an iGrill with an Android phone, Samsung galaxy to be more specific. It seems to work as well if not better than my wife's iPhone.
wWalls are a problem (or it may be range) and they are just normal studded walls. If I put my phone in a window on the side of the house that the smoker is on it works. I do like the adjustability of the alarms for the iGrill and it is very easy to change settings from your phone.
As for durability, I've not used the iGrill all that much but I suspect it is as good as any. The down side is, it seems to go through batteries pretty quickly.

Dave:

I'm in the same boat, sometimes it is nice to have a second device. I too love my DigiQ DX2: It's flawless. The only improvement I could see the Guru making is a transmitter and remote device to monitor like an Android or IOS app. Sometimes I even use the DigiQ on my Weber Performer. It's nice to put a food temp gage when cooking on a rotisserie, meaning the device has to be battery operated. One of my favorite meals is a whole rib roast, bring it up to 125 to 130 and it's perfect every time. The food temp gages help estimate finishing time etc. I agree, the ET 732 is a toy, built like a $30 RC car. I'm really surprised someone has not come out with durable version of the ET-732, maybe the iGrill is the answer. However, the iGrill has a lot of comments regarding the bluetooth feature, some good, some very bad.

Greg:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an iGrill. My butcher is remodeling so I have another week or so to think about it before my next smoke. Having a second probe is nice, my bottom shelf gets hotter than my top shelf because I cook with a DigiQ and do not use water. I find water can be annoying when doing a long cook, butts and brisket ranging 18 to 26 hours. I hope iGrill makes better probes as compared to Maverick.

My walls are concrete block, so I'm sure the window option will be the only option. I have other bluetooth devices in the house and the range is about 20' even though they advertise I should be getting more. Fortunately, my WSM sits just outside a large patio glass door by my living room. I measure the distance to my coffee table and it's less than 20'. I don't think the iGrill is going to work in my bedroom through a solid reinforced concrete wall, the reason I'm pondering the purchase.

CraigW

I have a Maverick ET-73 (not the 732) that I've had for years. I haven't had to replace the probes ever.

I have the same one and have also never changed probes. It does, however, lose signal when it's 6 feet away from the receiver in clear line of sight through a patio door...but that may be the batteries more than anything.

I have the same one and have also never changed probes. It does, however, lose signal when it's 6 feet away from the receiver in clear line of sight through a patio door...but that may be the batteries more than anything.

I rarely have signal issues within 100', inside or out.

I can carry my remote to the mailbox which is a good 300' and have never had an issue with the probes either on the 732.

I haven't had a problem with the probes yet, but my antenna is falling off. This is under a year old and i don't throw it around. i was disappointed when it came to the warranty. I too and looking for a replacement. I stayed away from the igrill because i wasn't sure about how the connection to my iphone would be in the house.

I have mentioned this before, but in case someone has not seen it, I'll mention it again...

I have a Maverick 732. I have a quad level and I can get the signal reliably from anywhere in the house. I did have a probe "fail" after I left it on the grill overnight and it rained. Apparently, it got watersoaked. Since I had nothing to lose, while I ordered a back up (only the long ones are available as a replacement), I put my failed probe in a toaster oven. I left the plastic connector sticking outside so it wasn't subjected to heat. I timed the oven for twenty minutes at 200 degrees. I did not remove the probe and cable until it was completely cool. It now works perfectly and I have used it several times since that issue. I still have a brand new hybrid (works as EITHER a food or grill probe) probe in it's original packaging. I WILL keep it for a back up, for sure.

You might try it - what have you to lose?

FWIW
Dale53

I have the ET-732. The original 3 foot cord length probes that came with it, lasted exactly 3 cooks. Yes, 3 cooks. I had already ordered two 6 foot replacement probes when I initially bought it, but wasn't going to start using them until I needed to. I had no idea it would be so soon. While I was setting everything up before my last cook, though, the probes would only read the temperatures for maybe 5-10 seconds until the unit began showing LLL or HHH. I would unplug them and plug them back in, and sometimes they would work for a few seconds, and then sometimes they would just show HHH again. I had to go break out the new probes. If these only last a few cooks, I am done using that thing. There is no way I am going to buy new probes every 3 or 4 cooks.

I will say, when my probes are working, though, I have zero issues with the wireless range. It works through 4 and 5 walls from my downstairs garage all the way to my upstairs bedroom.

I still use my old ET-73 (not 732) and, like Dan and others, have never once experienced a problem with it. I only use it for shorter cooks (ribs, mostly, or HH brisket). For overnighters I use my Stoker and it's Rock solid :). What I also did was put a short length of heat shrink tubing over the crimp point on the probe and I handle them very gently while washing up after a cook. Its range isn't great and it's lost comms with the transmitter for no reason on occasion, but for the most part it's very reliable.

But with all that said, I'm still thinking of an iGrill or something better. You'd think with BBQ getting national attention with the TV show, etc, someone would race in to fill the void of a $75 to $150 high quality thermometer with multiple inputs and reliable probes.

Back