Is there a good guide to grilling with charcoal?

So this fathers day i have asked for a 22.5" OTG weber grill. I have always been a Gas griller. Never used a charcoal start until i got my WSM. I have fell in love with cooking with it. I see all the posts with the Weber grills and i am ready to jump in.

I was thinking i don't know how to really place the coals in the grill. I have grilled with my WSM but that is different. Do you place the coals in the middle and leave the outside for more of a indirect heat? Or do you just throw the coals evenly coating the bowl?

I know its not rocket science but my wife is already complaining that it will take longer to cook food on the charcoal grill instead of the gas grill where you just turn it on wait 10 minutes and start cooking.

Any insight you have will be helpful or any links you know that would help as well.

Thanks.

We are your guide TVWBB.. We can help just ask. :)
With us on your side your wife will not complain and you will be grill like a pro on your first cook..

Depending on what your cooking your coal will be set up different.

I think you will find that the Weber kettle is probably the easiest charoal grill to use in existence (maybe a slight exaggeration?). What with the combined knowledge here and the myriad of websites devoted to outdoor cooking, you will probably be able to start your own show on the Food Channel in a couple of weeks.

What Tony said, but if you want a good cookbook with recipes and ways to set up the charcoal etc. I recommend:
"Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire"

df-weber-charcoal-grill_300.jpg

I do most of my meats (chicken breasts, pork chops, and steaks) indirect with a reverse sear. I have those charcoal baskets and use them off to one side, but you can do the same thing by just dumping your coals to one side of the kettle and putting your meat on the other.

However you do it, remember that you cook with the grill CLOSED. This prevents flare-ups and gets the meat cooked more evenly and much more quickly.

I also like to toss a chunk of hickory on the coals when the meat goes on to get a nice smoky flavor.

Grilling with charcoal is fun and easy.

I think there are two basics to get you started.

First off, get a charcoal chimney starter to light your charcoal. Just search for charcoal chimney and you will find it. Weber makes a good one. This is the best way to light charcoal.

Second off, there are two primary ways of grilling over charcoal. 1) Direct, where you grill directly over the charcoal and 2) Indirect, where you have the charcoal on the side(s) and you grill on the part that is not over the charcoal.

Generally, Direct is great for steaks/burgers/boneless skinless chicken breast since they are quick cooks. You will get a nice sear on them but the meat will cook quick enough so the outside wont burn. Indirect is good for thicker pieces of chicken with skin and larger pieces of meat (roasts, whole chickens (beer can chicken for example) since they will require longer cook times. Indirect is also helpful to avoid flareups that may occur when the fat from the skin drips on the coals or you use oil based marinade and it drips on the coals. If indirect, it wont drip on coals so no flare ups.

You can use both in the same cook as well. for example, if you are cooking chicken thighs you might want to start indirect to avoid flareups and burning, but then move over the coals (direct) toward the end of the cook to crisp the skin or caramelize the sauce. Many times it is good to have a direct zone and an indirect zone which is also helpful when you are cooking direct and getting some flareups you can simply move the meats to the indirect zone.

There is tons of info out there and any rated grilling book will give you all the basics/instructions/recipes. This site also rocks in answering any questions and as you can see has a grilling forum.

A great start would be ribeye steaks. Just season a little with salt and pepper. Fill the chimney full of charcoal and light. When ashed over and glowing (20-25 minutes) dump the chimney into the grill and spread an even single layer of coals. Cooks the steaks 3 minutes and turn and cook another 3 minutes and bingo you've grilled some great steaks. You can also throw some mushrooms on as well as some slice potatoes (rubbed with just a little bit of oil). Of course there are millions of ways to grill over charcoal and I am sure you will be passionate very quickly.

Charcoal Grilling is FUN and VERY TASTY!!! Go for it and have FUN being primal!!!!!

Dave brings up a good point. Especially with indirect cooks, keep the lid closed most of the time since you are cooking the meat like an oven.

+1 on the book Bob shows in his post above. Like everything else, practice makes perfect. View some videos on charcoal grilling on YouTube. Among others, check out The Wolfe Pit. Larry Wolfe doesn't always grill, but when he does you can learn lots.
Also, check here http://www.weber.com/recipes
One tip: Stay away from lighter fluid and Matchlight charcoal or your food will taste like Texaco

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want. I usually pick one side and place a layer over one half. If I want high heat the layer will be at least two briquettes high and the layer will cover less space.

If I really need high heat over the entire grill I light two chimneys.

As said, get a chimney starter. Weber brand is best in my opinion.

Buy a couple of fire bricks so you can bank the coals behind them and cook indirect on the cool side. I cooked a chuck roast like this yesterday for over 6 hours. I always do chicken and lamb indirect, then put it over the coals to crisp at the end. So easy. No flares, and meat stays tender and juicy. Add a hunk or two of smoke wood for good flavor. I sawed off one of my bricks so they fit better.

Next Christmas or birthday ask for a rotisserie. You can make the best chicken and anything else you strap on it.

Use a Sharpie to mark the spots where the bottom vent is 1/4, 1/2, and full open. Once you are cooking, you often can't see the vent, and it's hard to tell how open it is.

If trying to cook low and slow, foil the side of the charcoal grate under the meat. Can also place a water pan there.

Use of fire bricks

Rabbit on rotisserie

Leg of lamb

I use firebricks like Chris does to separate my hot and cool zones. They were like $3. Not sure what size Chris purchased but mine dont fit quite a well and need to overlap them.

Great info here guys thanks. Another question. I noticed a lot of pictures lately of people soaking wood chips when grilling. Do i have to do that or can i still just use the wood chunks that i use for my WSM?

you can do either, I like wood chunks but have used chips also.

I use just wood sometimes for steaks, just try stuff and keep track of what works good for you

Jim;
Most of us are part time grillers. If that applies to you, you might want to keep a log on each cook. That'll considerably shorten your learning curve. The best thing you can learn, is indirect on the Weber grills. It opens the whole world of grilling up to you.

I, too, use firebricks but it is worth your while to find the thin ones (I got mine from a masonry supply for less than $2.00 each). The thin ones take up less space and when doing complex cooks (lots of different items) the extra space is welcomed.

Here is a reference to a cooking log on this site:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html

Welcome to the home of happy eaters:cool:..
Dale53

Back