Is there a good guide to grilling with charcoal?

Another suggestion, although I personally think it should be a required book of anyone who grills is Steven Raichlen's How To Grill. Its available on Amazon (use the amazon link through TVWBB).
This is the book that truly ignited my passion for smoking/grilling. My copy is sauce stained, dog-eared and beat up but I still reference it to this day !!

Mike,

I was in your spot about a year ago, and this place helped tremendously. If I could offer any suggestion, it would be to keep it simple and not over-think things too much. It will take you a cook or two to get settled, then you'll realize it's not THAT much different than cooking on your gas grill. You'll just have to get to know your grill. If you can cook on a grill, you can cook on a grill. Once you get comfortable doing everyday stuff, you'll want to start playing with all kinds of techniques, and the photo forum is a great place for inspiration.

In the year I've had my OTG, I've grilled countless times, I've smoked a few things, tried a lot of new techniques, and feel like I'm still just scratching the surface. I'm even thinking i may need to add a second kettle to the family.

I typically will spread my lit coals over about 2/3 of the grill, just to keep a safe cooler spot if things get hectic. Very rarely do I spread them over the entire grate. I also got the charcoal baskets, but I've found they don't offer a large enough hot zone when I use them, so I really only utilize them for strictly indirect cooks (chicken, large meat, etc.). I've also found the prep time for gas vs charcoal isn't much different, except I can't grill much under my covered patio due to the smoke when lighting the charcoal.

One other little bit of advice is to not use paper when lighting your chimney. Maybe it's just me, but the burned paper tends to flake up and fly all over the place, getting in my food and grill surface since I have to light it on the grill itself (charcoal grate). I use the weber wax squares to light, or some folks use a free side burner they may have on their gassers. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Have fun!

What Tony said, but if you want a good cookbook with recipes and ways to set up the charcoal etc. I recommend:
"Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire"

df-weber-charcoal-grill_300.jpg

Oh how it hurts to agree with him but the man is right. Great book! Please don't tell him I said that.

i feel like i'm getting better. The hardest part is making sure i don't drag out the cook. I feel like i took all this time to get the charcoal going that i end up cooking for 30 minutes when it should only take 15 minutes. I feel like i don't want to waste the charcoal. I have been reusing the charcoal as of late and using about half new charcoal. I'm getting my cooks time down a bit. with the introduction of my cast iron i think that will help make me feel like i'm getting the most out of my charcoal.

Also is it bad to do some of the cook without the lid on? When i'm trying to sear it i've been leaving the lid off so i can get a nice host fire.

Back