Is there a "best way" to smoke a Butt and Full Packer simultaneously on a 22" WSM?

Myk McCormick

TVWBB Member
Is there a "best way" to smoke a Butt and Full Packer simultaneously on a 22" WSM?

I've been tasked with the Easter dinner and told Brisket and Pulled Pork is the main entree for the early afternoon dinner.

Sounds like an untrimmed 14lbs Packer and a 10lbs Boston Butt is on it's way over Saturday morning. My plan was to use my modified Memphis Dust on the Butt with a smoked S&P blend on the Packer. Trying to get things ready for a 3pm serving, I'm figuring on a 16+ hr cook with a 2+ hour rest. What I'm struggling on, are the logistics of getting there.

My plan:
- Being the Butt is so forgiving, I thought I'd put the Butt rubbed in Dust on the bottom rack at the same time I put the Packer on the top. (as I'm not sure I want Butt with Memphis Dust dripping down on my brisket? Or do I?)
- Being the Butt will be on the slower cooking bottom rack. I can hold to the "Lookin' aint Cookin'" mind-frame for the Brisket and not have to pull the Butt out till after the Brisket's bark is well set.(or even while it's in the stall)
- Once the Packers done set my sights on the Point for the Burnt ends

Any experience anyone can offer that I'm missing?

I did a quick search and looked around the first two pages and didn't see a similar post. Apologies if this has been rehashed more than once.

My gut reaction is why do you feel like they must both be cooked simultaneously? Why not cook the BB Friday night and the Brisket Saturday night? You could pull the butt and leave it overnight in a ziplock and then reheat it on Sunday.

Seems simpler to me, but that's just my first thought. YMMV.

I think you've got a good plan. I'd put the butt on the bottom, brisket on top for the reasons you said. However, I don't think it'd matter much the other way. Personally I'd wanna fuss around with the brisket more and I'd put it on top. I don't bother wrapping butts normally. Be prepared for one to unpredictably cook fast or slow. I personally think its a great challenge even though I haven't done it.

My gut reaction is why do you feel like they must both be cooked simultaneously? Why not cook the BB Friday night and the Brisket Saturday night? You could pull the butt and leave it overnight in a ziplock and then reheat it on Sunday.

This could very well be the best course of action. But I might not get my hands on the meat till Saturday morning.

You might be able to get them both on the top rack, if your lucky. Then you put bean on the bottom rack.

Since I've already got this thread going....let me ask a related question.

Since I'm pushing past a half-day smoke, I'm debating on going water-less to eliminate the need to refill. But I would like to retain some form of heat-retention, and w/o shopping for pizza stones or playsand - I was curious if anyone has had experience with cast iron?

I was thinking of putting my massive cast iron skillit in the water pan, then foiling over. I'm figuring it'll have more mass then a pizza stone, and certainly has heat-retention. Just curious if I'm missing a reason why I shouldn't use it?

That seems like a great idea, but I know i usually cant spare 2 full days of meat smoking. When i get the chance, much like MYK, I try to get as many different kinds of meats on the fire as I can.

I also agree with Brisket over Butt since you will be cocking around with the Brisket more. Good Luck

rb

I was thinking of putting my massive cast iron skillit in the water pan, then foiling over. I'm figuring it'll have more mass then a pizza stone, and certainly has heat-retention. Just curious if I'm missing a reason why I shouldn't use it?

Sure, but more mass can also add more heat if you don't keep your temps below 250~ 275 max.

Tim

Since I've already got this thread going....let me ask a related question.

Since I'm pushing past a half-day smoke, I'm debating on going water-less to eliminate the need to refill. But I would like to retain some form of heat-retention, and w/o shopping for pizza stones or playsand - I was curious if anyone has had experience with cast iron?

Which WSM do you have and how much experience do you have with it? They're pretty stable and easier to adjust without the extra heat sink or water countering the natural reaction.

I say just go with a foiled pan. Cast iron is as good as any other heat sink, the heat sink will only briefly slow the cooker's natural temp swings by just a few minutes from my understanding, no real benefit that I can see.

I'm on the 22" WSM, and have had it for just over a year with heavy use. So I'm still green, but getting a pretty good handle on it. Second Brisket cook though, so even "greener" there. First one turned out great, just had to hold it a little longer then planed and it was a shade dry in the flat. I didn't like refilling the water pan twice in the 14+ hour 1st brisket cook, so I was playing with alternatives.

The cook got delayed a week due to an illness, so I'll update with how it went then. But I appreciate the help to this point.

Back