Is The Smokefire a Failure or Success and What Proves It?

So to clarify, you own and still cook on original Gen 1 with NO upgrades?
I guess that’s a stupid question because software upgrades alone take you out of Gen 1.
Aside from the software updates I haven't changed a single part on my Gen 1, including the glow plug, and it's still running just fine. I've had a couple of flame outs, but typically it's been my fault from not cleaning out my burn pot. I personally recommend checking and cleaning out the burn pot before starting a cook. Every time I've had a flame out it's been because I didn't check and clean the burn pot out first.

Lew
I think in a round about way, most of us agree that the Smokefire, after multiple updates in hardware and software, is a very good pellet grill. But I truly believe the the Gen 1, as originally rolled out, was a dead horse being pulled down the hill by the wagon. I saw earlier post by Weber employee claiming to be happy with his Gen 1 but I doubt it is stock Gen 1 with no hardware or software updates. Is the current model, that in my opinion is a very good grill, worth the sticker price? I’m not completely sold. But I do have faith in Weber customer servic, that they will do their best to help with upcoming issues.
Cheers Lew. I appreciate your time and all the past info you have provided to help me and others.
My Gen 1 is actually more like a Gen 0.5 if you want to be specific. I received it as a beta test unit in the fall of 2019 before we even launched the product. No hardware updates, but I have downloaded all the software updates. As you said though, our Consumer Care team will work hard to solve any issues SmokeFire owners may encounter. #IworkforWeber

Last edited:
I might consider doing this :)
You can, but I'm thinking about putting it back in just to clear up cabinet space in the garage. After I posted the Gen2 post, I got to thinking about how long it's been since I needed 22 lbs. Sept 2020. It just depends on how you run your grill.

I didn’t look at the question as is the SmokeFire good or bad, I viewed it as has it been successful business venture for Weber? The SmokeFire is awesome when it works well and I believe from what I see it is more consistent all the time. However, from a business point of view it gets little hype. Also, maybe even bigger, Weber is still the biggest brick and mortar grill brand in my mind, but it’s hard to find a SmokeFire in store…at least around here. The area Lowes have quit carrying the grill and the pellets. Most Ace stores don’t have them. I also rarely see ads for them and I get a lot of BBQ ads. Outside of Weber die hards, I wonder how many people still know they’re made after the negative launch publicity?

I think there is definitely a sharp dichotomy between how well a working SmokeFire turns out excellent food vs. it’s lack of sales success for Weber. I see the same low penetration now apparent in brick and mortar venues and the seemingly low level of advertising that Shane noted.

I have no idea where things go from here, but I still feel that, like it or not, the pellet grill arena is one where Weber has to have a strong presence.

I still think a new pellet kettle would be an easy way for Weber to get back in.

As Lew said at this point there should be no difference between a Gen 1 and 2. The welded auger was the game changer, I put the pellet ramp in and removed it pretty quickly. I like 22 pound capacity, allows you to put in a full bag once your low.

Back