Is It Safe to Use Corningware French White Bakeware (Casserole Dish) on our Gas Grill?

EmoryG

TVWBB Fan
We made Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans yesterday.
Recipe: https://tvwbb.com/threads/keris-hog-apple-baked-beans.21966/
Our Experience: https://tvwbb.com/threads/what-you-cooking-for-the-fourth-of-july-weekend.91743/post-1048485
Our Review: https://tvwbb.com/threads/keris-hog-apple-baked-beans.21966/post-1048511

The recipe makes a lot, enough for a large family gathering. I wanted to put the beans in one of our large Corningware "French White" casserole dishes ("bakeware") and cover it with its glass lid. My partner was afraid the dish would crack. I pointed out that Corningware cookware is designed to go in hot ovens, but she was still concerned. She pushed me to use an enamel cast iron dutch oven instead. It worked out fine. The dutch oven was probably the right choice anyway due to the size of the batch; the yield was huge.

Corningware French White Examples:
https://www.corningware.com/product/french-white-12-piece-bakeware-set
https://www.corningware.com/product/french-white-4-quart-baking-dish-lid

-> My question is:
Is it safe to use Corningware cookware and bakeware on a gas grill? Glass lids, too? Will it crack or break? Does anyone else do it?

I would not hesitate. I remember my gramma back in the day using corning cookware on her gas stove all the time. I love corning ware.

Indirect or a very low flame. I cracked a few bumping up the temps on reheating Thanskiving leftovers.
Just like you wouldn't put it directly over the burner of a stove.
Oh and wrap the outside with aluminum foil, that will keep it white and not get brown from smoke and grease for easier cleanup.
I used one on my WSM as is and had a very hard tin
me cleaning it.. Wife was not happy with me ruing her mothers casserole.

Last edited:
Indirect or a very low flame. I cracked a few bumping up the temps on reheating Thanskiving leftovers.
Just like you wouldn't put it directly over the burner of a stove.
Oh and wrap the outside with aluminum foil, that will keep it white and not get brown from smoke and grease for easier cleanup.
I used one on my WSM as is and had a very hard tin
me cleaning it.. Wife was not happy with me ruing her mothers casserole.
The only thing I found (the hard way) that will destroy Corningware is if it's really hot and you put (even room temp) water in it. I was doing a chicky on the "spinner" one day. Had my Corning baking dish under it on the flavo bars. Noted the drippings were getting a little "dry" so since I wanted to make gravy I figgered I'd just add some water. It didn't just crack or even simply break, it exploded. It was so loud my wife heard it in the house. Came out to see what the loud bang was. It was our gravy :( So just don't add liquid to it while hot

No. Just no.

Pyrex/Corningware may (or may not) be heat safe for the oven or microwave. But only if you follow the directions. And the instructions on all my stuff specifically says NO STOVETOP.

Older manufactured stuff might have been safe for this. But not the currently made stuff.

Because an open flame will turn your dish into a bomb of glass shards and food. We had a turkey gravy bomb explode at our house last Thanksgiving. Literally a miracle no one was scalded or lost an eye.

If you want to run the experiment, make sure you do it outside and stay far away.

No. Just no.

To others who feel differently: please accept this as my personal approach for info when I lack understanding; I'm not sharing this to be critical of others' feedback. I'm not smart enough to know detail like this on my own, so I typically go directly to the manufacturer's website for knowledge, which in this case warns against use in a BBQ grill, direct heat source, and a variety of other heat sources.

Last edited:
we use a pyrex load pan for meatloaf all the time on the Genesis E-320. Center burner off for the duration using the grill like an oven. Never had an issue with any of our Corningware either, but no direct flame or temp extremes. Yes it does shatter on impact especially our 40 year old stuff.

The only Pyrex or corning dish I've broken outside since 1998 was due to setting it on the lid of my silver B, at night to take the chill off of the serving dish.

It did not survive me forgetting about it and when I opened the lid it slid off and hit the concrete.

Ive used glass, corning white and the white oblong dishes. I'm not overly cautious, but also not stupid. I've used them on gas grills, BGE, pellet and my WSK E6.

Some times I'll put ad hoc heat shields so I can use my gas grill like an oven and protect the food from direct heat

I don't put it over direct high heat.

YMMV

Here's one example of using my gasser as an oven. Extra grate CI griddle, aluminum perforated cooking sheet and Pyrex. Cook temp 400F.

20210613_192644.jpg

Last edited:
Pyrex and corningware don't like sudden temperature changes or large temperature differentials. I wouldnt use it on a grill under direct heat because it can cause a large temperature differential between the bottom and sides. Indirect heat is probably ok at moderate temperatures.

When these things shatter, they can go out with a bang. A couple months ago, the wife forgot to put down a trivet before placing a baking dish on the quartz counter. When the dish touched the quartz, it exploded almost instantly and glass shrapnel was thrown all over the kitchen.

Back