Is it ok to add unlit charcoal while cooking?

Jeremy Cook

TVWBB Member
Does anyone else add unlit charcoal as the first batch starts to burn down? I do the minion method and seems that it's the same as not all are lit in the beginning anyway? I think if I added lot coals it would spike temps. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone else add unlit charcoal as the first batch starts to burn down? I do the minion method and seems that it's the same as not all are lit in the beginning anyway? I think if I added lot coals it would spike temps. Any help would be appreciated.

I have done it only when my food is wrapped in foil. Otherwise I start a chimney and add what ever I need and adjust my vents to maintain my bbq temp.

Many times I've added unburnt coals mid cook. Never noticed any off flavors or other detrimental issues. Like the OP, I look at adding unburnt coals as an extension of the Minion method.

It is wise to monitor the temperatures for a half hour or more after adding a bunch of coals, for sure.

You can. If you add them directly over the burning coals it might lower your temp. If you're just extending the snake then it's not a problem.

If you do need to add and only have the option of putting them on top of the burning coals, I would light them first.

I have done this many times and I haven't seen any negative effects. I always push the remaining lit coals into a pile at one side and add the unlit coals beside and partially over them, the same way I started the fire originally. Note: I remove the top and center sections to do this. I have never tried to add charcoal through the door.

Jumping in here with a related question--my last load of ribs used a bit of the coals. Other times, it used about half, on average. I think I had them going for between 5-6 hours. If doing a large pork shoulder (>9 lbs.), allowing for 1.5 to 2 hours, I don't think my 18.5" WSM could last on a full load of coals, could it? I had planned on having to add coals and like mentioned above, I've always used the Minion method and never really noticed an acrid smell with the unlit coals eventually lighting off.

I've added unlit many times. It will take your temps down for 15-20mins. On my 18.5"wsm I did the upside down mod on my door (can be found in the mods section on virtualweberbullet.com)
Gives it better air flow to help startthe unlit. If your temps are dropping cuz your running out of coals add lit.

Jumping in here with a related question--my last load of ribs used a bit of the coals. Other times, it used about half, on average. I think I had them going for between 5-6 hours. If doing a large pork shoulder (>9 lbs.), allowing for 1.5 to 2 hours, I don't think my 18.5" WSM could last on a full load of coals, could it? I had planned on having to add coals and like mentioned above, I've always used the Minion method and never really noticed an acrid smell with the unlit coals eventually lighting off.

I cook my butts 250-275° a 9lb'er should take 12-14hrs. Might have to add some coals, but the 18.5"wsm can run for a long time on a full ring of fresh coals.

I've not as yet needed to add charcoal. I load the chamber heavy so I feel confident it won't run out. Any unsed charcoal I set aside and use for high heat cooks like chicken or wings.

I started the shoulder last night around 10:15pm, 9 pounds. 8am, the shoulder is at 180° (so it appears we made it through the stall). Grill surface temp was about 220° when I last checked at 2am (it held nicely there for four hours) but was at 270° when I checked it a few minutes ago. Started with a well packed ring of coals, three apple wood chunks, and a nearly full bowl of water. Hope there wasn't a huge flare-up, but I doubt it. No wind to speak of. The coals still have some life in them, so if the temp keeps climbing in the shoulder, we'll be good to go. I was expecting a much longer smoke, though, at least 1.5 hours per pound.

The bark on this thing is a beauty right now. :D

Back