Is a WSM right for me?

Andrew Gahagan

TVWBB Member
Thinking about buying one of these, and wanted some input from you guys.

1) I live alone, and don't really know anyone here. It's a small town, moved here about 7 months ago for a job. Basically, I will be cooking for myself, and no one else MOST of the time. Family comes occasionally but not often. Is a WSM overkill for a single guy?

2) As it will be just me, I'm set on the 18.5. One other main concern I have is the fact that I cannot store the smoker outside. I have no deck or patio, just a concrete walkway visible from a fairly well traveled road. I don't think there will be an issue with moving it back into the house after a cook, seems to be easy to maneuver around, even without wheels. I've been cooking on a Smokey Joe quite comfortably for years now, so I've gotten my portable grilling down to an art. I just received my Q-120 today as well. Is there any foreseeable problem with this plan of storing it inside and moving it out whenever I want to cook? I know it will be a PITA, but gotta do what I gotta do I guess.

I've looked at making a mini-WSM, but I don't have any of the tools necessary to convert the steamer pot.

Well thats a dilema. If you have no means to construct a mini WSM then I'd say go for the 18.5. For the money if you want to purchase a smoker of any brand you will be best served by buying a 18.5. You could go buy an el-cheapo smoker but will have to toss it in a few years after it rusts away. The 18.5 isn't so big that your cooks will be dwarfed on it and it won't take up that much space where ever you store it.

An 18.5 could work out for one person and plus if there are alot of leftovers you shouldnt have a hard time meeting new people. No easier way to break the ice than serving up some BBQ. Might even make you the most popular guy at the office too...

Keep in mind that a seasoned smoker is going to add a "wonderful smokey smell" if you bring it inside.

Andrew, I'm in a similar situation as you and have the 18.5, I think it was the perfect size for my needs! I store it inside my home after it cools down, its light enough that I can lift it without taking it apart, I have transported it many times to cook for family and friends, It was one of the best purchases I've made!

An 18.5 could work out for one person and plus if there are alot of leftovers you shouldnt have a hard time meeting new people. No easier way to break the ice than serving up some BBQ. Might even make you the most popular guy at the office too...

Yeah, once you fire that thing up a couple of times, you will likely have all kinds of friends "stopping by".

In case this helps my 18.5 WSM has been outside since I got it in June of 2004. No problem at all with the elements and trust me. This thing has been used!

As far as visiblity from the road you could always chain it to one of the legs I guess. Put a garbage can over it?

Andrew....if you want a long term purchase go for the WSM 18.5, I'm not sure where you will be storing it inside, but as Jeff points out you will get the smell coming from it. Go big and go for big cooks. Good luck buddy and welcome.

Andrew, I'm in the same situation as you and I have never regretted purchasing an 18.5" WSM. I have made many pounds of bacon, slab and Buckboard, and I use a Foodsaver to keep a steady supply for the cold months. I also invested in a chest freezer which I keep amply stocked. As others have said, you won't be sorry that you made the investment.

If purchased, it will be stored in a utility room where I store all my other grill stuff and my beer fridge. Smell won't really matter in there.

My thoughts exactly. I'd build a mini and be amazed at what it will do.

If not, an 18 would be an excellent second choice.

Looked for the 32 quart IMUSA pot today at Wal-Mart. My local one doesn't carry any IMUSA products (it's easily the worst Wal-Mart I've ever been in). I saw a few at Food Loin, but none in the 32 quart size.

I think the Mini WSM is actually doable with what I have, considering I can drill holes in the bottom instead of cutting it out completely. Even then, a jig saw can be had for 20-30 bucks, which isn't too much anyways. I think I'm gonna give the mini a go!

you could always get a OTS and a CB stacker. then you'd be able to grill and smoke w/a footprint similar to the 18.5 WSM

Back