Is a stainless steel grate worth the money?

Floris Vande Walle

TVWBB Member
I'll probably buy a master touch this afternoon. But i'm not sure if it's worth the money to buy a set with stainless grate?
What's your opinion?

Im a bit on the fence as well. I just bought a used performer and am thinking i'm going to treat myself to a new grate rather than try and clean up the existing.

I'm leaning towards getting the SS grate for the cooking grate and a regular grate for the charcoal.

I'm not sure how $$ is it in your country, here its around $41 USD vs around $20 USD for the regular one.

The first thing I do is replace the cooking grates when I buy used. I have SS on my Performer and am very happy with it. I used plated steel grates on all the used kettles I bought over the years. Floris, if it's a new Master Touch, are they giving you an option? If it's an even swap, I would go stainless. If there's an up-charge, I would keep the Gourmet BBQ System grates that come with it until they need to be replaced. Weber plated steel grates last a long time if you take care of them.

I have the stainless grate from quality grill parts and they are awesome. The price is fair in my opinion and I would buy again.

I really like the gourmet system. I wish they made a stainless version. Mine is still usable but has some rust.

I really like the gourmet system. I wish they made a stainless version. Mine is still usable but has some rust.

Agreed Dustin... I just bought a chrome gourmet system version for my new CL Performer purchase , but whoever makes a SS gourmet system version will make bank.$$$$.

SS is the only way to go, if you can afford it.

I keep my grates cleaned and oiled so they last forever. I have 6 or 7 new flip up grates that I have had for a loooong time that I got on sale very cheap. Still laying there. So at least for me an ss grate would be overkill. But if you go through grates every year or so then ss grates are the cheaper way to go.

Hmm... after digging a little it looks like they do have a stainless grate.....in Europe? ***, Weber? The one we get is PN: 8835. 8843 appears to be stainless. If you google it, you only get foreign links.

Last edited:
Hmm... after digging a little it looks like they do have a stainless grate.....in Europe? ***, Weber? The one we get is PN: 8835. 8843 appears to be stainless. If you google it, you only get foreign links.
My girlfriend bought me a Weber MasterTouch special/system edition. And that comes with ss gbs system. She paid 295 euro's while on sale. Original price was 349. I'm not sure if its a EU only version?

Back