Is a BBQ cover worth using

Graham Timson

I do wonder whether it is worth using BBQ covers every-time I take one off my WSM or Kettle I find the BBQ lids and sides covered in moisture. Surely it would be better to let the air dry things out and dispense with the covers through the winter months. What do you guys do?

I own a cover for both my WSM and Performer. However, they live under my covered patio, so they don't get *that* funky from being outside.

The covers, on the other hand, collect dirt and spiders sitting on the patio all the time instead of covering what they're supposed to cover.

I think I'm going to retire the covers and switch to an annual scrub of the Webers.

I do wonder whether it is worth using BBQ covers every-time I take one off my WSM or Kettle I find the BBQ lids and sides covered in moisture. Surely it would be better to let the air dry things out and dispense with the covers through the winter months. What do you guys do?

Hmm... I don't have that problem here. But with the WSM you'll find that you get a lot of moisture and water inside it if you don't cover it. The lid is recessed inside the body on the WSM. I find that covering the kettles and smoker extends the life much longer than if left uncovered. YMMV.

I cover mine after they cool. Sometimes that's the next day. I figure it came with a cover why not use it. However, some weekends they stay uncovered and used all weekend and don't get covered until Monday AM.

I cover mine because it sits out in the open on the deck. But, I do have a followup question about covers......

My WSM cover has elastic strips at the bottom to keep it tight, I suppose. However, I can't think of a reason not to cut those strips to make it easier to cover the smoker. It becomes annoying having to walk down the cover over the vents and such. If a wind blew up hard enough to make it fly off, I'd just go out in the woods to gather it. Anyone else with the same conundrum?

I use covers on all my webers. I crack oven the vents a little. Last time I left the vent oven on my wsm there was a lizard inside.

I cut them off mine. Much easier now to remove and replace the cover.

I cover mine because it sits out in the open on the deck. But, I do have a followup question about covers......

My WSM cover has elastic strips at the bottom to keep it tight, I suppose. However, I can't think of a reason not to cut those strips to make it easier to cover the smoker. It becomes annoying having to walk down the cover over the vents and such. If a wind blew up hard enough to make it fly off, I'd just go out in the woods to gather it. Anyone else with the same conundrum?

I keep all my Weber's covered.

I only cover the WSM to keep the rain out. The grills seem to do much better with no covers.

I also found that every time I took the cover off one of the grills there was a ton of moisture underneath. Seemed kinda dumb to put a cover on the grill to keep the moisture out, only to have the cover trap a bunch of moisture.

Russ

I have had my kettle now for 11 years. It has sat out in the elements here in Kansas. I use it year round and have never covered it. I really do not see the need to

My WSM cover has elastic strips at the bottom to keep it tight, I suppose. However, I can't think of a reason not to cut those strips to make it easier to cover the smoker.

The cover on my 22 WSM has a lot more room than my 18 WSM does. I still have the elastic on the 22, but the 18 got snipped after the first time I put the cover on/off. Even snipped, I still 'fight' with the 18" cover way more than the 22" cover

I cover most of my Webers even though the majority live under shelter.

I cover mine and it collects moisture and grows mold inside, so I have to burn it off before using it. I guess this means I should be smoking more, or cleaning my WSM more often, or something.

i want mine to last forever, like the classics some of yall find out there that are in good shape (i.e. cared for). plus its damp here at nites. so yes I keep mine covered. and I give them a quick wipe down with a hand towel each time when my coals are firing up in the chimney.

dont touch the lid-

Not me...... I cut the elastic. :)

I am a big fan of covers. I always cover all my cooking equipment as well as outdoor furniture. The only exception is if I finish a cook one the mini late at night and it’s still hot, I’ll let it go until the morning.

I always use the coal baskets on my performer, so if I’m done cooking and the coals are still hot I just lift the baskets out with pliers an lay them on bricks, then the grill cools off quickly and I can cover it.

The genesis same thing it’s always gets covered, it will cool off quickly if you leave the hood open.

Back