INTRODUCING: the "Roto Damper"

I don't recall them ever being on sale, but you might run into a few places looking to sell some of the "older" models at a discount. The only difference in the older ones is they dont have the plastic HDPE side tables and handle, they'll be bamboo or something, which I think is nicer anyways. Also, they don't come with the new divide and conquer system, which I don't have yet, and have maybe only wished I had it a couple of time, but not enough to actually spend the money on it!

Well, I made the rounds trying to find a deal on another Akorn today...

Target Nadda
Menards 3 boxes 1 display with a broken grate, priced $250, no sale
Home Depot Nadda They dont seem to be selling it any more, neither of the two stores near me had any all summer
Lowes Priced at $299, guy there says they keep the grills on the floor all year round, and wont be closing them out, best bet is the Labor Day sale coming up he said.

So it looks like Menards is my best bet, the guy said they do close out the floor models when the boxed items are off the shelf. Having the grill grate busted into several pieces should be a good bargaining point if I can get there right after the last boxed unit sells. I guess timing is everything, and it looks like I only have one shot in my immediate area to get a deal.

I just joined the forum and am amazed at the HeaterMeter and your RD. I just ordered the HM kit and sent you an email about buying a RD3.

I don't recall them ever being on sale, but you might run into a few places looking to sell some of the "older" models at a discount. The only difference in the older ones is they dont have the plastic HDPE side tables and handle, they'll be bamboo or something, which I think is nicer anyways. Also, they don't come with the new divide and conquer system, which I don't have yet, and have maybe only wished I had it a couple of time, but not enough to actually spend the money on it!

I've not seen KJs go "on sale", however, you can find discounted KJs at the Costo Road Shows. That's how I bought mine.

Unfortunately, the most recent shows ended yesterday, but the new list should be posted soon here: http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

They tend to stick to the south east more than the other regions, but they seem to be spreading out a bit. I live in the south east and ended up driving 3.5 hours to get mine. About 3 months later, there was a show at my local Costo which is about an hour drive.

You need a Costco membership to buy one, but the discounted price of the grill is worth doing so.

The Classic is currently going for $779 at the show (normally $999)

and the Big Joe is $1199 (normally $1599)

With both of those, if purchased at the show, you get a cover and a pack of KJ starters included.

If you time things right, you can try to buy the display model. They usually throw in a few more accessories (I've seen 2 people who say they got a free KJ Jr when they bought the display Big Joe!). Word is, you have to get there first thing on the first day of the show. You'd pay for it then and have to come pick it up the day the show ends.

ETA: I've also seen reports of people going to their local KJ dealer and getting them to match the Costco price. The closer a current Road Show is to you and your dealer, the more likely the chances, I'd think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I live in Mississippi. We do not have a Costco yet (supposed to be getting one soon, though). But, I see there's a Kamado Joe event in Baton Rouge. I might be able to make that one.

Taking the RD3 on maiden UDS voyage. Will report back tomorrow on settings. Going low and slow so seeing how 'on at max only' behaves. PID settings are up in the air right now, trying an old set I had to see what happens :)

Edit: I'm terrible at PID tuning, I have determined :/ someday I'll get this damn UDS tuned in. Akorn was so easy.

Last edited:
Ramp/Hold....
I'm using the *NEW* Ramp and Hold mode alarm tonight from the latest snapshot firmware and it is working great!
RampHold.jpg

I set the ramp to trigger when the meat is 175F and ramp down to 200F for a done temp and it seems to be working out well... This is going to be a longer than usual cook, having the temp drop as the meat finishes cooking... but I think it might be a perfect way to start a shoulder or a brisket before you go to bed and have it ready and waiting for you at the perfect temperature the next afternoon for a picnic...

Last edited:
Looks nice, I've never worked with PET+, glad it worked out for you....
BTW, since you mentioned getting the files a while ago, does your case have the little locking bump on the end? (near the probe jacks) Although the back fit pretty tightly on the case without it, depending on the tolerance in the printed parts, I added a locking bump for the back to make it hold more solid in case you want to mount it by the back using a magnet or something... If you don't have it and want to try it let me know and I will send you the files.

one without bump, so its acctually a little loose. The revised version would be nice! :)

Looks nice, I've never worked with PET+, glad it worked out for you....
BTW, since you mentioned getting the files a while ago, does your case have the little locking bump on the end? (near the probe jacks) Although the back fit pretty tightly on the case without it, depending on the tolerance in the printed parts, I added a locking bump for the back to make it hold more solid in case you want to mount it by the back using a magnet or something... If you don't have it and want to try it let me know and I will send you the files.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats another project, a playstation button. Going to make a jog device for a cnc router with it :)

Looks nice! What's the little device to the left of it in the picture with the 4 wires coming out of it? Plastic smoother?

I have been following this thread for a bit now. However, is there an actual github repo for the Roto Damper? I tried to sort through the 50 pages of post, but actually finding the latest and greatest appears elusive. Thanks Ryan O'Hara

I have been following this thread for a bit now. However, is there an actual github repo for the Roto Damper? I tried to sort through the 50 pages of post, but actually finding the latest and greatest appears elusive. Thanks Ryan O'Hara

It's not open source. Ralph Trimble spent a lot of time (blood/sweat/tears) developing it. If you want to purchase one, you should send him an email. rotodamper@hotmail.com

I do have a set of RD3 files that I share but I like to have a little chat before I send them out, so please shoot me an email so we can discuss how you plan on using them.... I can also print the parts for you as well...

Ralph,

Thanks for the great job on the RD3 and your special 1 inch threaded adapter you made for me.
I will finish assembly this week and put it to test on Saturday.
With the new adapter I will mount it with a 1 inch conduit street elbow and a pull bushing.
I will post a picture of it mounted this weekend.

Thanks again Ralph, I like this better than the original RD it cool no wire showing and the fan hidden away.
6wdOfRw.jpg

Glad the threaded output worked out for you, 3D printed threads cab be a crap shoot...
Is that a Tower Pro MG90s servo there? First I have seen of the white horns if that is the case...

Back