INTRODUCING: the "Roto Damper"

I would like to wish all the good Heater Meter forum members a happy holiday season, may your celebrations be surrounded by sweet blue smoke! It's been a great year for the HM project, HMv4.2.4 is by far the best Heater Meter to date! Hat's off to Bryan for all his hard work and everyone who has contributed here, and to the administrators of TVWBB for kindly hosting the Heater Meter forum for us all.

I am proud to have been a part of this project for a couple years now and have seen the HM make great strides since I have been on board. When I built my first HM there was no damper support and overshoot was more of a problem in those days. Then came the flap damper experiment, thanks to D Peart I believe, a simple flap in a tube with a servo piggy back soldered directly to the ATMega to control it. Bryan graciously provided the code and means to control the servo damper and we were off to the races, a brand new feature and big one at that!

I was intrigued with the idea of controlling the grill by a valve rather than a fan so I jumped in and built a 3D printer, the first object I attempted to print was the flap. I chuckle as I recall my confusion watching my 3D printer make loops in thin air printing the flap without support material, "How the hell is that gonna work out?" I was thinking... Well, it's not! That was the beginning of my adventure learning to fine tune my 3D printer and create 3D models and slice them properly to build quality objects. I came up to speed pretty fast and got the flap implemented in a PVC tube first, soon thereafter I created my first damper which was a 3D printed version of a flap damper.

Here's a pic of the my first flap damper design:

ServoDamper.jpg

and a pic of my first all 3D printed flap damper connected to my "fauxmado" with my double barrel copper adapter freshly made and all shiny! Though this flap damper looks remarkably similar to the original roto damper it's actually quite a different beast.

DoubleBarrel.jpg

I was thrilled with having the ability to close the flap and arrest overshoot, but the flap damper was essentially just an ON/OFF valve because tons of air could slip through when it is open just slightly. This immediately got me thinking, "there's gotta be a better way"... So I drew up at least three or four designs, float valves, barrel valves etc. I printed them only to end up frustrated, each being critically flawed in one way or another. Then it came to me, a rotary valve... Bingo! I made my first prototype rotary valve and the results were outstanding. That was a simple two piece barrel design, but all the principles were there, it was a quick evolution and the original Roto Damper was born!

Here is a picture of the first two working prototypes of my rotary valve and the original roto damper:

RotoDamper+HM.jpg

Having servo wires and an RCA cable for the blower in addition to power and probe leads connected to the HM things were becoming a bit of a rats nest for me, so I decided to use a CAT5 jack in my roto damper to clean up the mess a bit. Next I hacked my HM to add the CAT5 jack rather than having different plugs and jumpers, and immediately started experimenting with wiring options.

Here is a pic of my hacked HM with the CAT5 jack added:

CAT5_Mount.jpg

After quite a bit of experimentation I came up with a scheme that would allow connecting not only the servo and blower through the CAT5 cable, but up to three probes as well. I was (am) thrilled with this option, while others were (and remain) sceptical of its usefulness. From my point of view I reduced the congestion at the HM down to only the CAT5 and power cables and added the ability to have the HM and Power Supply far away from the pit. WINNING! LOL I had been accustomed to putting a bowl over my HM to protect it from rain, so having the ability to move it away from the pit out of the rain was a big plus to me. So I lobbied Bryan to adopt the CAT5 jack on the HM which he eventually (perhaps reluctantly) added on HMv4.1. I had begun to experiment with running the pit on the damper alone, using the fan just to aid in the initial startup of the fire and was getting great results. I was doing this manually by removing the fan at first and had started to put together a mechanical switch to do this for me, but Bryan saved me all the trouble and added the "on at Max Only" feature for the blower to the HM config which works great for me.

After running the unit a while I began testing the limits of the cabling and resulting servo response and probe noise levels, which were at the time on the high side even when you plugged probes directly into the HM. The probes would fluctuate quite a bit and some would drop off even at room temperatures on pre HMv4.2 boards, when sent through a long CAT5 cable they were worse and the servo would occasionally erupt into spasms which in turn added even more noise to the probes. So I built up a servo booster circuit that I inserted inline that fixed up the servo real good, after a quick video demonstration of the effectiveness Bryan decided to add the servo booster to the HMv4.2 release.

Meanwhile Bryan had taken on a complete overhaul of the HM board design, focusing on eliminating noise, reorienting components, rerouting traces and adding RC filters to remove noise on the probes. The result was the HMv4.2.4 board, Bryan did an outstanding job, my probe readings and servo are now rock solid on an extremely long (~50Ft) cable. Finally all the items required for a full featured connection via CAT5 cable were in place right out of the box (except the solder pads next to the extra pins on the CAT5 jack I requested, still waiting for those ;) ) . Servo, blower and up to 3 probes all running through one very long CAT5 cable, rock solid... Freakin' Awesome!

Along with the HMv4.2 release finally came fully integrated thermocouple support, bringing the ability to control high heat cooks within the realm of possibilities for the HM. I jumped into the TC pool feet first, unfortunately to find that the TC didn't play nice with the CAT5 cable. I tried but the readings were way off, and not in a predictable way from day to day, so there was no way to compensate for it with offset settings. So I built up some hard wired TC amp circuits and started to experiment with having the TC amp in the damper so I could run the output of the amp through the CAT5 cable rather than the raw TC "signal", thinking the amp could overcome the cable issue... I was right, the TC worked great over the CAT5 cable as long as the amp was on the grill end of the cable.

I had been in communication with John Bostwick talking about the possibility of creating a small circuit board that could handle the TC and I/O in a Roto Damper, since he was already learning EAGLE board design software and I had already drawn up the circuits we decided to colaborate on the project and the "Aux Thermocouple" (RDTC) board was the result. It feels like we made a couple dozen revisions to get it right, but I'm sure its a lot less than that, in the end we got a great board put together. We are on V6.3 currently, it features the TC amp, voltage regulator circuit (to free on an extra wire for a food probe), optional REF Offset circuit I designed as well as the CAT5 jack, TC jack, two Food Probe jacks and a Servo/Blower header. We also added a Standard Pit Probe to the board which gives you the option to use the board with standard probes without installing any of the SMD components. (or gives you the option to revert to standard pit probe if your SMD soldering work on the TC amp is a total fail)

Meanwhile, high heat cooking is all the rage (at least in my back yard), I'm cooking pizza's, searing steaks and lovin' it! So I set out to redesign the RD to maximize air flow and minimize moving parts. I put together a version of what is now the RD3 built around the stock HM blower at the time, but that blower was larger and the damper was pretty darn big, so I went looking for a blower that might be a bit smaller. I found a blower that had similar specs (slightly better actually) that was smaller and I built the RD3 around that instead.... It's great blower, smaller size, better specs, wider availability, so Bryan decided it was a better choice and changed over to using it for the HM, which works out nice for the RD3 I must say. I decided to integrate the same removable control box in the orRD and RD3 so things could be somewhat universal and interchangeable, both having the hand wired or RDTC wiring options available. I also made the output on the RD3 removable, though it was not as straightforward to design this as it was with the orRD (due to the physics of 3D printing/design), I thought it was important to have the ability to interface with a wide variety of output styles to suit different rigs. Experience paid off and my initial designs were pretty spot on, just a few minor tweaks and the RD3 was alive and on the scene!

That's it in a (rather wordy) nutshell, the evolution of damper support on the HM, and the story of the creation of the RD3, my latest and greatest:

RDv3.jpg

Since then I have made the RD25, which is a much larger RD3 that uses a 25CFM blower, and I have in the works an RD15 to provide something in between (I frankly believer 25CFM is way to big for anything other than a HUGE commercial pit) I also have started drawing up some designs to integrate the majority of the HM hardware right into the damper, utilizing either the new Pi Zero or the CHIP computer, I'm still not sure what direction that project is going to take at this point.

Last edited:
Happy holidays to you too Ralph! Thanks so much for all the work you've put into the RotoDamper and Heatermeter in general. I'll no doubt be using my RD3 to smoke several things between now and the end of the year.

Happy holidays Ralph and thank you so much for letting me be an early tester of the RD3 it has been working magnificently. The regulation and the remote access to both thermocouple and inexpensive thermometers has been a huge help. The only trouble I have had on hot cooks is that the steel tube gets hot enough with a 750 degree grill to soften the exit assembly of the RD3 so it droops. I think I need to find a ceramic flange and tube that won't conduct the heat from the green egg to the RD3. I plan a 4 rib roast for xmas eve. Wish me luck!

Happy holidays Ralph and thank you so much for letting me be an early tester of the RD3 it has been working magnificently. The regulation and the remote access to both thermocouple and inexpensive thermometers has been a huge help. The only trouble I have had on hot cooks is that the steel tube gets hot enough with a 750 degree grill to soften the exit assembly of the RD3 so it droops. I think I need to find a ceramic flange and tube that won't conduct the heat from the green egg to the RD3. I plan a 4 rib roast for xmas eve. Wish me luck!

I've never run into an issue with high heat cooking on my fauxmado, though different grills present different scenarios....
If you're getting the RD3 too hot during high heat cooks then I would suggest a longer piece of metal on the inlet, the heat drops off rapidly as you move away from the grill.

Hello all,

Is there a seperate thread on shows the best way to attach a RD3 to different BBQs? Or a FAQ for that? Would be nice to have those suggestions all in one place vs. having new users needing to figure that out or have to go through this thread to dig everything up. In particular, I have a WSM 18.5" and a Visions grill as well (BGE style ceramic grill).

I saw earlier in on the thread the idea of using a sink drain connected to a piece of chrome drain pipe and it looks like it clips into the WSM vent. I had a Heatermeter built for me along with the RD3 and have since used it for monitoring temps but I haven't hooked up the fan/damper to either BBQ yet. I saw a suggestion to make an adapter for BGE with a piece of sheet metal and electric connectors into the sliding door. I think my ceramic grill has a similar setup so will try that on there.

Any recent suggestions or prefered methods for both connections?

The most common way to connect the RD3 to the grill is using the 1" conduit connector from Home Depot which is referenced in the first post in this thread. The compression end of the conduit connector will press fit into the RD output cap. Then for the other end, with a kamado you cut a piece of sheet metal so it fits in your vent and make a hole in it to put the other end of the conduit connector through, then secure it with the conduit ring nut like you would in a conduit box. If you have a WSM you would do the same, except you would use the dog bowl method to cover over one of the vents and secure the conduit connector to the dog bowl. The RD3 output cap will also fit any of the pre-made BBQ Guru adapter plates if you don't want to DIY the adapter.
For other setups like a UDS or someone that doesn't want to use the dog dish on a WSM or whatever, the output cap on the RD3 can be customized to fit pretty much whatever kind of pipe you are working with.

Thanks Ralph. That confirms more or less what I understood. Will look into what is available locally. Still curious to hear people's most recent experiences or if they changed methods of connecting it after learning what works better as it seems that discussion about connecting to a WSM was early in on this thread. Thanks for your design, really cool!

I've seen some people pipe through one hole of the WSM vent but I don't think that is the best method because it makes for a fairly small hole for the air to pass through, which may cause it to blow in as more of a concentrated stream... it would seem more likely for the air to bypass the fire and go up into the pit if rigged that way. With the dog bowl over the whole vent air can pass through all four holes in the vent and will diffuse better, and it also allows an overall much larger opening for air to pass through.
I've also seen people drill a larger hole in their WSM and attach a fitting to that, but not many people want to alter their grill like that.

Thanks Ralph. That confirms more or less what I understood. Will look into what is available locally. Still curious to hear people's most recent experiences or if they changed methods of connecting it after learning what works better as it seems that discussion about connecting to a WSM was early in on this thread. Thanks for your design, really cool!

Jerry - check out this thread. You'll see a bunch of different examples. I recently posted how I hooked mine up to my Vision model using black foil tape and an adapater plate. The foil tape has held up pretty well. Although a recent low/slow cook in the rain required me to slap on another strip, so I don't think it will be as permanent as some other options out there. It was a quick/easy solution for me. I'm sure you'll find something that works best for your setup too.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?41158-so-how-are-you-attaching-your-blower-to-the-smoker/page13

Hi Ralph,

I'm interested in a RD3, I have pinged you an email but no response yet. Are you able to make any at the moment?

Regards,

SimonP

I ended up picking up a drain at Home Depot but looking for a way to adapt down the 1.25" down to 1" connector on the RD3. Going to go by an electric supplier (Home Depot didn't have that size reducer) to see if I can get one from 1.25" down to 1". Darren C, in case you are still reading this thread, how did you connect the drain pipe into your RD3?

I would prefer to have at least the length of the pipe between the WSM and RD3 to keep any potential heat away from the RD3

Thanks Dominick A for the link to that other thread.

Got my RD3 from Ralph and everything looks good and is working well. I also have the parts for the TC AUX board but my soldering skills are subpar and I could not get the SMD stuff done so I have to enlist some help of a friend to get it set up. For now I just have it wired into a CAT5 desktop outlet.

Thanks Ralph.

I have not actually used it on a cook yet...been very cold outside.

RD31.jpg

RD32.jpg

RD33.jpg

Last edited:
Ralph I'm loving the RD3 that you printed for me. I can hold 225F steady without anything in the Akorn. In the past I had to have something to act as a heatsink ( food, pan of water, etc) to do that.

Any recommendations on servo grease for frigid temps? Did a cook last weekend ( 10F or so) and it was going great for several hours. I noticed the HM was really trying to dial up the output but temp was dropping. Walked outside and could hear the servo really buzzing. I had to move the wheel by hand and it felt like I was working against tar. RC plane forums mention using lithium grease in their servos but even then they don't fly much below freezing.

I didn't cook in the extreme cold the past couple days, cold is really hard on the servo's, they can get really stiff.
I happened to pull my RD3 in from the cold the other day and made note of how stiff the servo was, an hour later after it warmed up it moved much easier. I'm running snapshot firmware that has the servo power down between movements, in the past I had noted that the current from the servo holding it's position (with older firmware) warmed the servo a bit and was helpful to keep it moving during cold spells. What firmware are you running? (release or snapshot?)
At any rate, cheap electro-mechanical devices like the servo are gonna struggle in extremely cold conditions unless you keep it warm somehow....

I was running my snapshot. To be succinct the servo was being controlled by the original firmware that delivers full power. I corrected the servo jitter at the ISR level in my code.
This weekend I plan to try the latest mainline snapshot with the servo controlled movement code.

Unless I get told differently by my brother-in-law ( 30 year mechanical engineer and 25 year RC airplane hobbyist) I'm just going to remove 99% of the grease. Like you side the servo's are cheap and come summer I can just replace it with a lubed one.

Unless the plastic RD3 parts are freezing together I would say the problem is the servo getting stiff not the RD parts. Unless you've got the RD too tight there should be little to no friction from the RD, back out the servo screw a tad if the RD is tight. In my experience cold grease between the parts just makes them more stiff rather than move smoother.
The new servo motion on the snapshot is worse for cold weather, because it only tries to move for a short window of time and then powers down. If the servo is cold and stiff it may not move into position before it powers down, thus leaving the damper open when it should be closed. With the old firmware the servo stayed powered and so it would continue to try to move into position no matter how long it takes, and being powered constantly kept the servo a little bit warm, which helps. I much preferred this scheme over the move and rest scheme, and had hoped there could be a "servo always powered" option in the HM firmware for those of us who battle extreme cold but so far that hasn't been on the table. I've found some servo's jitter but others don't, IMHO I'd rather have a servo be in the proper position and jitter than have it power down in the wrong position and lose control of the pit.

Theoretically thinking here.....What would it take to use the same carbon fiber wire that is inside a heated blanket and wrap it around the servo control unit a few times? I think for a blanket, most use 12V, but if the contact area was smaller and more direct, I wonder if you could get away with using the same 5V that runs the servo. So in theory, in Rob's case, if you have a servo sticking in the cold, instead of remaining stuck and experience his temp dropping with an active output and having to run out there, the wire would warm the servo allowing it to move and then turn off when the servo gets in place. Might take a few minutes. You could leave it on all year round since in warmer temps the servo would move freely and would not get enough power to heat the wire. Am I way off here? Ralph - you know my level of wiring expertise so I won't be offended if you call me crazy.

Back