INTRODUCING: the "Roto Damper"

last night i had the setpoint at 350 and startup max at 50%. had the top vent just a hair past the dimples during startup. i didn't save the graph, but i think it was about 8-10 minutes.

chicken thighs didn't care. they were just as good as usual.

That is a fast stoke for sure... Do you get overshoot and choke with mid to high temps as well or just low and slow (225-250) range?

BTW, I build my fire differently for low and slow vs mid/high heat... I use a much bigger pile of coals over the starter fuel for higher temps (volcano style) and a shorter/wider pile for low and slow. Low and slow requires a very small amount of coal to burn, so a shallow pile over the fuel helps limit the amount of coals that light up initially, the fire will spread out sideways and light more coals throughout the cook. It basically works out like an easy minion setup...

Last edited:
I haven't tried it over 350. for a 250 setpoint it overshot and snuffed, but that was before i lowered the startup max. the next time, i had a setpoint of 350 and a startup max of 50%. it overshot, came back down, overshot again (even higher on the second peak), then i lowered the fan max some more and it came back down, but by then the chicken was done.

I haven't tried it over 350. for a 250 setpoint it overshot and snuffed, but that was before i lowered the startup max. the next time, i had a setpoint of 350 and a startup max of 50%. it overshot, came back down, overshot again (even higher on the second peak), then i lowered the fan max some more and it came back down, but by then the chicken was done.

I got a chance to experiment with PID settings today and re-read the PID tuning info. In general, with the scenario your system presents I would suggest you lower I and raise D and keep P low. When you raise I and lower D the blower will start ramping down at a lower temperature and you will have less overshoot.

Rocker switch

Ralph would you please post where you found the rocker switch and the part number for it. I dread the idea of ordering a rocker switch that will not fit in the HM.

I got the switch from Mouser or Digikey, can't remember which. I looked through some order history but couldn't find the part number, it was a long time ago when I ordered them. I'm kinda doubting that you would be able to modify a standard case to fit the switch anyway, there is a very small space between the opening for the switch and the opening for the LCD. You might be better off using a mini toggle switch so you can just drill a small round hole in your case, that's what I did on my first attempt at adding the switch. I got the toggle switch(s) I used on the case pictured below at Radio Shack...

Case+ToggleSwitch.jpg

Ralph - just wanted to offer some additional kudos on the RD3 and the HM you helped me build a while back. Recently moved to Michigan and everything survived the move. I had only done some steaks since moving, and did not use the RD3/HM until yesterday. I smoked some chuck roast for about 6 hours and the RD3/HM still worked like a charm. Meat wasn't as great as I would have liked, but that was more on me than the tech.

I no longer have my HM in the house, although I may drill through some brick just on the backside of my pit to get the Cat-6 inside right where my modem/router sits. I have an outlet on the outside in the same spot, so it's not really a big deal either way, I just may need to get the wifi dongle if I decide to leave it outside so I can monitor remotely.

So, thanks again!

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can find a copy of the 3D print files? I've IM'ed numerous times with no response. Thank you!

Scott

Anyone know where I can find a copy of the 3D print files? I've IM'ed numerous times with no response. Thank you!

Scott

Hey Scott, usually Ralph is pretty quick with replies, but not seemingly so in your case. Ralph doesn't post his files for anybody to just use. If you contact him he might share the files with you after you agree to his nonbinding conditions. Stuff like don't share the files, don't sell the files, don't use the files to sell the prints, etc. If you agree he might give you the files, but he's been known to still deny people access them. May I suggest checking out Thingiverse? Try searching for "Heatermeter", you'll find quite a few things. I just found someone was sharing a sliding back case that nobody knew about until just recently. There are a couple damper designs there that work as well or better, and you can download them with zero hastle, just click and BAM, you've got them. I don't think Tom Kole has his files on Thingiverse just yet, but he has some great designs too. I've seen tons of rock solid graphs from people using his Barrel Servo V2. Def worth checking that one out too!

Thank you Steve. I'll wait and see if Ralph can help me out. I'll also look back at the Thingiverse files and determine if any of them fit my fan. I don't remember which one i get. It was one of them recommended in the kit documentation from about a year ago.

I had the very old school offset rotary damper printed up and it works great. Downloads easily available. Not sure how big of a pit it can push

My grill is the Akorn fauxmodo. I hear people have good results with a controller on them. But my ping pong design doesn't work very well due to a ton of chattering. I would like use a servo and be done with it. Unfortunately i have the 60mm fan and don't see any printable designs for that size.

The rotary damper is a servo design (http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?45296-3D-Printed-Barrel-Servo-Fan) but does, indeed, take the 50mm fan, so you would need a new one, but they can be easily ordered from digikey if you don't mind wasting a fan. I run my primo at 475 with it, no problem, so I think it should run an Akorn pretty easily. It seems pretty easy to print; I just used 3D hub, and things came out great. Just a consideration, I have no dog in this fight.

Scott, I have no PM or emails from you? I just checked to be sure I didn't miss anything and there was nothing. Shoot me an email or PM, I may be able to help you cure the chattering on your ping pong ball valve, mine worked great on my fauxmado. Or if you want to build a better damper I can share some files with you. Steve your comments are uncalled for and inaccurate. I would comment further but I do not wish to solicit a response from you, I don't have the time to waste....

I am going to say this just once. In all of my dealings with Ralph, I have found him to be a class act. He has gone out of his way to be helpful to me and is timely in his responses. Since I do not have a 3d printer, I don't make my own cases or other parts. When I have gotten cases and RD's from Ralph, the price's have always been more than fair.

I do not understand why some of you insist that any designer should release to you their designs. It is their work and effort and therefore their decision if they want to.

I have noticed that some involved in 3D printers seem to have a "get Ralph" agenda. If you are not happy with Ralph's approach to his designs, then just don't say anything. What is the old adage, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. I have watched this "get Ralph" mentality for some time and am sick of it. I have seen many threads on the HeaterMeter area where Ralph has spent a lot of time to help others with there problems. He has posted long and time consuming responses to help those that need it. He is not asking for anyone to acknowledge these things, he just does it to help others. That is a class act and some on these threads should try and emulate his attitude. To quote the late Rodney King, "why can't we just all get along".

Knowing Ralph, I figure he will not be thrilled with my taking up his defense, but I think someone has to and needs to say, IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING. I know that Ralph is more than capable to take up his own defense, but I am a third party who does not have a horse in the race. This is pointed at only a few people, and I am sure they know who they are. To all the others who are not involved in the situation, I am sorry for taking the space for my comments but I just felt that this needs to be said.

If there are those that take offense at my comments, I have broad shoulders and can take the heat, but I would hope that all involved would take a breath and think, "what can we all do to stop all of the back biting". The HeaterMeter forum was started for the purpose of helping all of us in our pursuit of great BBQ. To often I have stopped reading the HeaterMeter forum because the tenor of a few make for an unpleasant experience. You are not being fair to everyone else who watches this forum. Everyone involved needs to realize that this destructive behavior is bad for the HeaterMeter forum and everything that Bryan started. If not for any other reason than to honor Bryan's efforts, STOP THIS FIGHTING!!

Thanks Bob, one of the things I remember my grandmother teaching me as a child is "if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all". This concerted effort to attack me has been apparent for quite some time and is responsible in part for my low level of participation here over the past months. For a while now it seems every time I post a handful of characters chime in to attack me. As you so kindly pointed out, I have helped many people work through problems with their HM builds and contributed lots of ideas, designs, troubleshooting guides etc here. This had been an outstanding forum where good respectful people would gather to up their BBQ game utilizing the HM, and I was very into it for a while and eager to help others, but this new contentious posture here has taken the feel-good away for me and made me less likely to participate.
As an example, the recent posts about me not replying to request for my RD3 files, I never got an email or PM from this guy, still haven't. Yet right away there are the replies "see, he don't share", that is suspicious to me. Perhaps this guy that wants the files somehow sent the request to the wrong email, or has been too busy to follow up here... or perhaps it's all bogus and just an orchestrated excuse to post these attacks on me, with the nature of the internet you never really know. What I do know is this thread has been nearly idle for some time, then I get a post asking about the switch I use in my case, then "someone" go's on a campaign posting links to my case design "someone" shared on Thingiverse. Next comes the non-existing request for my RD3 files followed by attacks on me.... Working on the HM and participating here is a hobby for me, a hobby is supposed to be something that enhances your life, a pleasant way to pass your free time. Unfortunately participating here has become unpleasant for me due to this sort of thing and I don't need an unpleasant hobby....
The funniest thing about it is if you look at those claiming I don't share my designs, these guys are all printing my designs! Odd how they are printing them when I never shared them.... LOL The truth is I share my designs with people that I have good interaction with, people who are BBQ enthusiasts, but sometimes I don't share my designs with people that are rude and condescending to me when requesting them and people I sense want to start up a "HM stuff" store using my work. The RD3 is my design and so is the sliding back case, look who is printing them and look who is attacking me. It's more than ironic, I guess that's a kind way of putting it, that someone would take your work and then give you a hard time about it...

Last edited:
Scott, I have no PM or emails from you? I just checked to be sure I didn't miss anything and there was nothing. Shoot me an email or PM, I may be able to help you cure the chattering on your ping pong ball valve, mine worked great on my fauxmado. Or if you want to build a better damper I can share some files with you.

Thanks Ralph. I've tried the PM feature and not sure why it's not working. As you can see I am a relatively new user here and wonder if I need to get to a certain post cost to be able to communicate with everyone.

Anyway, yes, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on eliminating ping pong ball chatter. My experiments have not worked. I have had the Heatermeter for about a year and a half and just revisiting the damper as I don't have a good working one for the Akorn yet. I'm thinking I will still create a servo operated one also.

Can you please send me an email to : szastoupil "at" yahoo "dot" com? Thanks.

Scott

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to this forum so my opinion probably doesn't mean much BUT Ralph has been incredibly supportive and helpful with me during this process. I don't have a background in electronics but I've never been afraid to challenge myself with something new. There's no doubt I've asked some pretty basic questions and Ralph (and Bryan) have answered promptly and courteously.

Knowing the number of hours I have in to just building my HM and RD3, I can only imagine the amount of time they've invested since the original prototype phase. I appreciate their efforts and I'm glad they're sharing their creation with the public.

Back