Interesting Grill Brush

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
If you have a Menards nearby, $2 might be worth a try. No bristles, plus, it looks like you can really get some good pressure on it when cleaning grates.

They have something very much like this one at Menards. But WITH a handle. Think about it......................Who wants to make a grill screaming hot, then put your hands that close to the fire?
At Menards a couple days ago. Found my old standby fav. Libman. Bought 2 of them. IIRC about $8 ea

I had a similar " coil " brush. It lasted about one year and then started to de- coil.
I had high hopes that it would last longer.

Not sure why people still just don't use this......this particular one is great.
The wires never come out, I am on my 3rd or 4rth one.....and I have 2 more in the storage for future use.
Being able to use the corner of the brush takes care of all problems.....after a while it can spread grease around but I just give it a bit of a bbq and it's good again.....

1717775426689.png

Not sure why people still just don't use this......this particular one is great.
The wires never come out, I am on my 3rd or 4rth one.....and I have 2 more in the storage for future use.
Being able to use the corner of the brush takes care of all problems.....after a while it can spread grease around but I just give it a bit of a bbq and it's good again.....

View attachment 92759
Tried these no matter the brand the long thin wire stem simply bends under pressure and nothing gets accomplished

View attachment 92759
I'm with you on these. I've got the weber version along with the longer thin version --- they work just fine on my CIs and I've got a cheapo one for the kettle too. They work great for getting between the CI slots --- the 'long-thin' one is now bent perfectly to fit in there easily now.

I don't get the bending under pressure part....... why do you need so much pressure???? I heat my grills up to ~350ish to soften the goo and then brush it off -- it comes off easily. If there are areas that don't come off, then I grab a scraper. You've only got yourself to blame if you are letting the grill heat up past 500 and burning everything MAKING it stick to the grill....

Bonus --- easiest way to clean all the goop off the bristles is to let it soak in a pail of water and dish soap! I've tried burning it off in the past, but I think thats just shortening their life.

Tried these no matter the brand the long thin wire stem simply bends under pressure and nothing gets accomplished
If you haven't tried the Weber brand as I pictured above.....you might want to....
They offer a 12 inch and an 18.....I only buy the 18.
Sure they seem a bit expensive but they are the only ones I found to work well.
The corners as I put it earlier really get everything off without much work...

I give it a quick brush while the grill is still hot after cooking, right after the food comes off.....
Then when getting ready to grill next time I give them another swipe and then finish cleaning them after the grill is hot again and ready to go.
Generally I have to wipe clean the grill every 3 or 4 cooks...the grease really starts to build on the cold side and the brush does nothing for this except collet grease and spread it around more.

Basically nothing I have tried works as good.
But like mentioned above, maybe you have harder things to deal with than I do on the performer and such.

Yeah --- I'm pretty good at cleaning the kettles grate right after a cook -- learned that one the hard way -- but I never bother scraping the gassers after a cook.... I just scrape them during heat up when the lid temp hits ~300ish..... Its been working for me for many years now.

I actually went so far as to make a wooden V out of plywood that matches the angle/spacing of the CI grate --- it works okay, but collects gunk at the crossbars of the grates... I've been meaning to cut one out of an old spatula for quite some time now, but I've never gotten around to it....

View attachment 92759
Well, if you try to put a lot of pressure on the brush, it will BEND. The other brush allows you to put more pressure directly on the brush part. Plus, those style of brushes with the bristles tend to start dropping bristles fairly soon which wind up in the food you are cooking. I don't relish the thought of swallowing one.

Well, if you try to put a lot of pressure on the brush, it will BEND. The other brush allows you to put more pressure directly on the brush part. Plus, those style of brushes with the bristles tend to start dropping bristles fairly soon which wind up in the food you are cooking. I don't relish the thought of swallowing one.
I am on at least number 4 of these brushes....never seen a bristle come off yet and even if it did I could see it and also my food isn't on the grill yet.
I understand about swallowing one but it's like living in fear.....I have never heard of it happening to anyone. Your chances of being in a car accident this year probably outnumber the chance of a bristle coming off the brush........just guessing of course.
The brush also seems to be made better than others from other cheaper made countries......I won't make guesses right now......
I also put a considerable amount of pressure in the brush....it doesn't bend.......I can get it aggressive enough where the frame of the brush is against the grate and it still doesn't bend or loose bristles....
It's fine honestly.....I have spoke good words about this same brush before and people always have the same comments back......
Like I said, it might not be the brush for everyone but cooking with an indirect heat zone almost all the time makes this the brush for me.

How about this one ... I got it free with a grill I bought. Almost threw it out but then decided to polish and stain it. Does it work good ? Who knows !

Attachments

• 20240607_133141.jpg
    20240607_133141.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240607_133054.jpg
    20240607_133054.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240607_133127.jpg
    20240607_133127.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240607_133148.jpg
    20240607_133148.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240607_133225.jpg
    20240607_133225.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240607_133101.jpg
    20240607_133101.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 7
I have used the Weber brand the Charbroil brand no names and so on. All a waste of time and $$$ IMO. One I almost bought the other day is this one https://www.costco.com/oxo-softwork...with-replaceable-head.product.4000234251.html otherwise I've never found anything better than my old standby Libman brass brushes. They never leave bristles behind, when they are dirty I toss them and go to Menards and buy more. Everyone trying to reinvent the wheel

I'm not so sure about any bristle brush.
At my house, I had been using a Weber three-sided brush. I also wipe the grates with a paper towel wet with veg oil prior to cooking to ensure no small bristles are on the grates, because when I (deep) cleaned the grill, I found many small brush bristles in the gunk at the bottom. The Weber brush was relegated to the trash.
Since tossing the Weber brush, I've been grate cleaning with one of those wire coil type brushes- it does an OK job, but it struggles a little with the nooks and crannies of the round insert of the SS Weber Gourmet grates.

If you have a Menards nearby, $2 might be worth a try. No bristles, plus, it looks like you can really get some good pressure on it when cleaning grates.

That Flashpoint 2-Way Brush looks like it would be good on a Griddle. So inexpensive too.

I am on at least number 4 of these brushes....never seen a bristle come off yet and even if it did I could see it and also my food isn't on the grill yet.
I understand about swallowing one but it's like living in fear.....I have never heard of it happening to anyone. Your chances of being in a car accident this year probably outnumber the chance of a bristle coming off the brush........just guessing of course.
The brush also seems to be made better than others from other cheaper made countries......I won't make guesses right now......
I also put a considerable amount of pressure in the brush....it doesn't bend.......I can get it aggressive enough where the frame of the brush is against the grate and it still doesn't bend or loose bristles....
It's fine honestly.....I have spoke good words about this same brush before and people always have the same comments back......
Like I said, it might not be the brush for everyone but cooking with an indirect heat zone almost all the time makes this the brush for me.
I would bet that the majority (if not all) cases of 'eating a brush bristle' came from those super cheap 'hair brush style' brushes that are pushed into a block..... I'm not living in fear of the 'twisted wire' brushes myself.

I actually DO use a “Billy Bar” which was recommended by a member, it really works well, especially on a hot grill.
Wife got me one of the “Brillo pad” kind. If I’m doing a “soak and scrape” that gets into joints pretty well too.
But, I tend to use high heat burn off more than anything else.

Back