Interesting Discovery on my E320

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Thought I would share this.

This time of the year we go through all the grills and give them a thorough cleaning getting them ready for what will be for some of them their pre hibernation cleaning.

We did the NG E320 gasser and when I went to use it the other night it wouldn’t light. The electric Ignitor was clicking away as usual but no fire. Had to light it manually.

I figured that we got some junk in the burner tube by the igniter so today I cleaned it. Still would not light. I could see the igniter sparking but nothing. If I took the FB that’s over the igniter box out it would light, put the FB back and nothing.

Just for giggles I replaced the battery, bingo works great again.

So if you have an ignition problem with an electric igniter and you see the spark and it still won’t light it might just be a weak battery.

New technology need new batteries the older weber grill ignitor never failed me, plus
you had the easy ability to ignite through a hole in front of the grill. Not like the newer
grills. Just received a new cook box from weber for a 02 silver b grill, hope to get another
10 years. Who knows what we will have then. Just stay off my lawn. haha.

I agree with Mike. I would never replace an electronic igniter with another electronic one unless I couldn't figure out a way to adapt a Piezo igniter.

Larry, they are great as long as you keep the grill in the garage. But if a grill is not covered in some way, eventually the elements will make their way into the inner workings of the push button and destroy an electronic system ten time sooner than a piezo.

New technology need new batteries the older weber grill ignitor never failed me, plus
you had the easy ability to ignite through a hole in front of the grill. Not like the newer
grills. Just received a new cook box from weber for a 02 silver b grill, hope to get another
10 years. Who knows what we will have then. Just stay off my lawn. haha.
My E320 is a 2009 and this is the first time I've had an issue with the electronic igniter. Due to no charcoal fire restrictions during the summer it's our go to grill and it gets used at least five times a week. I replace the battery every spring, but don't remember doing that this year, so that may be the issue,
Oh and I used the hole in the burner box to light it just like the kick starter models have.;)

I just finished re-assembling an E-320 from 2013 that I picked up for free and refurbished (one of 3 Webers I've picked up this year!). I swear the igniter worked when I first tried, but now it doesn't. Tried 2 different batteries from different boxes just to be sure it wasn't that. I can hear a very slight high pitched sound from the igniter box when I hold down the switch, but no clicking, no sparks from either the main or side-burner igniters.

Looks like a replacement from Weber costs quite a bit. Any tips on either after-market electric ones or a piezo I could use for this grill? Even if it only lit the main grill burners I could use a lighter for the side burner. Sad to discover these newer Webers don't have the hole in the firebox for a grill lighter to fit in.

I think I figured out the best cheap fix for my igniter is buying a 3rd party 210/310 replacement igniter and just using it for the main grill. Found one from onlyfire on Amazon for $16. Then for the side burner I'll just light it manually which isn't a big deal. I found the 220/320 replacement that supports a side burner, but it will end up costing me around $40 with shipping and that doesn't seem worth it just to have the side burner igniter.

I think I figured out the best cheap fix for my igniter is buying a 3rd party 210/310 replacement igniter and just using it for the main grill. Found one from onlyfire on Amazon for $16. Then for the side burner I'll just light it manually which isn't a big deal. I found the 220/320 replacement that supports a side burner, but it will end up costing me around $40 with shipping and that doesn't seem worth it just to have the side burner igniter.
That's funny Josh I've had my 2009 E320 for 7 years and when I bought it I checked to make sure the side burner worked. I haven't lifted the lid since. But it does have a piezo lighter for the side burner, don't know what your side burner looks like but you might be able to adapt one from a sidewinder E320 to yours.

Back