Interesting article on charcoal

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
Visit BBQ Backyard - The BBQ Social Network

I Copied and pasted this article from an email I receive from BBQ backyard. Thought it might be of interest to you all.

How Different Charcoal Brands Effect Your BBQ...

When I first started smoking meat over coals, I didn't realize or think about there being a difference in the brand of charcoal I was using.

I simply bought what was available and in most cases… I bought the cheapest. Most of the time, it was Wal-Mart’s line of Sam’s Choice charcoal or the Kingsford brand. It wasn't until later on in my bbq research and experience with competitions that I learned that there is a big difference in Charcoal.

Different coals impact the flavor in your BBQ in different ways. To understand the difference in Charcoal you have to first know what it is used to make it.

Charcoal is the byproduct of plant matter burned in a low oxygen environment which removes moisture and other substances leaving behind pure carbon. Since I choose to cook with Charcoal Briquettes and that's what I'll discuss here.

Briquettes are made by taking left over pieces of wood and paper, cooking them at high temps in low oxygen, and using binders and often other materials to form a uniform size of charcoal. And it's the other materials that are added to the carbon to make charcoal that make most of the national brands undesirable when preparing competition quality meat.

The majority of commercially sold charcoal briquettes are made from trees such as: cedar, fir, & alder. These trees are used because they are commonly found in the regions where the companies are located. I don't know about you but I wouldn't smoke my meat with this type of wood, and I don't want it in my charcoal either.

With most commercially sold charcoals, you'll find other materials such as: Limestone, Sawdust, Sodium Nitrate, and even Borax. They add Limestone to create an Ash on the coals because most inexperienced cook needs to SEE this ash to know that coals are ready to cook over. The Sawdust & Sodium Nitrate help the coals light faster, and the Borax is used in the manufacturing process to help the coals fall out of the molds easier.

Of course, not ALL brands of charcoal use these extra added ingredients… and these more “natural” brands are the only ones I want to use when smoking and cooking good quality BBQ.

I found a charcoal that is produced with Oak & Hickory Hardwoods only and then held together with a starch binder. That’s all that’s in it… oak, hickory and starch. It produces very little ash, excellent heat, and gives your meat a nice flavor when grilling or smoking.

The brand of charcoal that I personally use is Chef's Delight Oak & Hickory Charcoal. It's sold locally in Memphis at a charcoal store, but it may be available in your area as well. Several of the top Barbeque restaurants in Memphis use the very same charcoal.

If you are spending money on expensive cuts of meat and putting in the hard work it takes to turn out competition quality meat, you want to use the best grade of charcoal you can find.

I suggest searching locally for a charcoal store or a restaurant supply store. You can either give them a call or just stop by and ask about the different kinds of charcoal they have to offer.

If they don’t have the Chef's Delight Oak & Hickory Charcoal, they probably have a brand is comparable. Believe me, it’s worth spending a little extra time to find out what is in the charcoal that you use… and find a brand that you can trust.

And be careful… just because some national brand labels their charcoal as “all natural” doesn’t mean it’s a perfect fit for smoking and grilling. Just because they remove the added chemicals doesn’t mean they use oak and hickory woods to produce this charcoal. So take the time and read the labels.

And, as always, if you have any more questions just email me!

Email me at Malcom@killerhogs.com

KCBS Timeline and Schedule
Several people have asked me to share my KCBS timeline and schedule, so I finally turned it into a file I could post on my website.

This is the schedule I take with me to every KCBS cook so that I keep myself on-track and have my meat ready for turn-ins. This schedule takes me from friday afternoon all the way to turn-in times.

My KCBS Cooking Time Line

It’s important to stick to a schedule at a bbq cook-off, but it’s not always easy. There are all kinds of factors that can get you in to trouble.

The biggest problem I have is socializing. It’s my own fault, but I enjoy moving around, shooting the breeze with old friends and making new friends at every contest. Of course a cold beverage always finds its’ way into my hand and before you know it, I’ve forgot to do something critical. This will put you behind the 8 ball in a hurry.

I’m not saying that it’s best to not socialize or have a tasty beverage, but it is important to have a guide to keep you on track.

Believe me anyone you are talking to will not mind if you have to run away to rotate racks or apply baste.

HowtoBBQright.com| killerhogs.com| My BBQ Blog

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The majority of commercially sold charcoal briquettes are made from trees such as: cedar, fir, & alder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting enough article, but can't say that I agree with the above quote.
And paper is used too?

Like to see some proof on these statements.

"I don't know about you but I wouldn't smoke my meat with this type of wood"

Well alder is used alot here in sweden to smoke fish.

But i dont use any of these brands couse i cant get em here. Natural briq´s/lump is what i use.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with alder. I like it. I am not a big fan of hickory "lump". Even though it's carbonized it still seems strong to me. Stubbs/Cowboy is still my go to. As far as what's in Kingsford that's old news. I will still use it now and then for backyard use. Let's not forget, Harry Soo has been winning comps with BK. The judges seem to like it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

In a ideal world I would cook over coals from burned down wood. But, that takes time and would be expensive for me living in a desert region. That said, I'm still experimenting to find which charcoal or lump is best for me.

I had a small "travel size"(?) bag of blue K in my garage for a while and used it the other night after running out of my regular stash. I'm not sure if the formula has changed over time, or if this happens when you let it sit for a while, but there was a HUGE amount of ash on each briquette. I'm sure it affected the heat of the coals and also drifted up onto my orange siracha chicken. The bag was copyrighted 2006.

G'day

I did a little search of Cowboy and it's made from oak, hickory and maple. I suppose the briquettes like Stubbs are the same. Great stuff!

Rancher is made from South American wood. Quebracho blanco, itin, and guayacan.

Frontier lump and briquettes are pretty good too and it's made from the same woods as Rancher from South America. They also make some stuff from the US (you have to check the bag) that's regular hardwoods like maple, oak and hickory. Hope this helps.

I'm not completely sold on the affect of flavor on food based on different brands of briquettes especially when grilling. Some do produce more ash than others and thus are more efficient than others. The type of wood used to make briquettes obviously varies from brand to brand, but in the manufacturing process, all wood is basically converted to carbon. Not 100% carbon, but in the 80-90% range. That's what lump is. At that point the volitiles that yield the unique smell/taste of wood has been burned off. The other ingredients such as starch for binding, additional coal for heat, borax (if used) for release from the molds is a very small part of the finished product. I know of no studies that have shown cooking with briquettes is a health hazard. As far as flavor, I think that the wood chunks that most of us add directly affect the flavor of the food much more than the brand or type of charcoal used.

Paul

It's true that Kingsford recycles woods like cedar, ash, and alder to make their product. I don't think it does much in terms of flavor positive or negative by the time they chop it up real fine and burn it in their retort ovens to produce the char that goes into the briquets.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know about you but I wouldn't smoke my meat with this type of wood, and I don't want it in my charcoal either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This particular statement is exemplary of what I don't like about the article. The author is basing his arguments on nonexistent facts and fallacious assumptions.

Just because something is a component in the manufacture of a product does not mean that product carries that thing's properties. For example, manure is a common fertilizer. That doesn't mean there is poop going into the plants that are growing in it. Instead, the plants are chemically altering the fertilizer to extract nutrients.

Similarly, charcoal does not carry the properties of its component woods. Rather, there is a chemical process that extracts the carbon from the rest of the wood, and that carbon is what goes into the briquette, not the rest of the wood (well, not in any significant manner).

The only times I've noticed any difference in flavor being imparted on my food is when I haven't ignited the coals enough. Anytime when that has been the case, I've had some less desirable flavors in my food. However, it should be noted that that has been independent of the type of charcoal I was using. I've had it happen with coals ranging from Blue K briqs to Cowboy lump.

I do find the writeup to be interesting, but I just don't put much stock in it. I went through a phase where I was trying different types of charcoals, and my conclusion has been that aside from ash content and heat/time, it just doesn't make much of a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CliffCarter:
Sounds like he's trying to sell Chef's Delight Oak and Hickory Charcoal to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I second that Cliff!

I have tried numerous off brand charcoals instead of the normal standard kingsford. The only difference I have noticed is that the others might take longer to get going. Them blue bags are almost twice the price of my cheaper charcoal. I go thru like a bag a week in the summer. If I am cooking for friends I usually have a bag or two of kings on hand just to be safe thou..

Hey, Dean. I'm not questioning your charcoal choices, but you might want to look at the comparisons by brand and type at Wicked Good. There is really some eye opening information about performance.

Also, I really haven't found ANY brand that can beat the sale price of Kingsford at Lowe's when they have their Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day sales (basically less than $4 a 16.6 lb bag). I'm not a great fan of K, but other than the ash and burn time, I agree that there's not a lot of difference in flavor or performance between K and other quality brands (or off-brands). With the amount that I cook, K will continue to be my staple unless I can find Stubbs or Royal Oak at a good sale price. (I just bought my first bag of Rancher -- based on what I've read, it may join that list.)

Rich

I looked at wicked good charcoal on that site. By the time you pay shipping fees and all. I don't know where you all live but around here in Michigan them blue bags of kings are over 10 dollars for the ever shrinking bag! That is fine for folks that have a gas grill for there main cooking but all I use is charcoal. I did pick up the double pack at Sams club the other day only because I got a free 60 day membership in the mail! That was a great deal. I will stock up! I usually use a store brand called kindle. I buy it at a discount grocier near the house. Never any broken pieces like others and good flavor. Best of all is under 5 dollars every day! I can also use royal oak which is like 6 or 7 dollars. Happy smoking! Oh and what is "rancher"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George L:
I happy with my stash of Kingsford I pick up on sale at Home Depot twice yearly...
icon_smile.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here... I ran out of my stash from Labor Day in January. I literally didn't see that coming. It had been so long since I ran out... Can't wait for the Memorial day deal...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The brand of charcoal that I personally use is Chef's Delight Oak & Hickory Charcoal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember, not only am I the president of Chef's Delight Oak & Hickory Charcoal Company, I'm also a client.

Back