Insulated Brining Bucket?

Jim_Hineline

Typically I will use a cooler for larger batches of bringing and curing howver when just doing a turkey, turkey breast or a couple chickens I am stuck using a large stock pot. If I don't have fridge room I will keep icing it but had an idea to look for an insulated bucket. Long story short did a quick search and nobody seems to really make a truly insulated bucket. Now I thought maybe I will grab an igloo drink cooler but Ill have to check out the dimensions in a store to make sure it could house a 20 lb turkey. For those that brine what do you use?

Cheers!

Any decent insulated cooler should do. It doesn't need to be round, it just needs to hold the brine and the food.

Typically I will use a cooler for larger batches of bringing and curing howver when just doing a turkey, turkey breast or a couple chickens I am stuck using a large stock pot. If I don't have fridge room I will keep icing it but had an idea to look for an insulated bucket. Long story short did a quick search and nobody seems to really make a truly insulated bucket. Now I thought maybe I will grab an igloo drink cooler but Ill have to check out the dimensions in a store to make sure it could house a 20 lb turkey. For those that brine what do you use?

Cheers!
I use a 5 gallon water cooler to brine a 24 lb turkey. It's a square Coleman like this one.

20240309_195400.jpg

I would want to brine turkey in something that turned into pork shoulder or brisket. When someone find that Let me know :D

I use a Harbor Freight bucket, 20 gallon I think? I put ice in it and leave it outside overnight. Lowe's has the same size bucket also.

Any decent insulated cooler should do. It doesn't need to be round, it just needs to hold the brine and the food.
I have several coolers, but I am looking for something more the shape of a bucket for smaller batches. If im bringing a few briskets sure the coolers work great but for a turkey breast or a whole turkey I like something cylindrical.

I have several coolers, but I am looking for something more the shape of a bucket for smaller batches. If im bringing a few briskets sure the coolers work great but for a turkey breast or a whole turkey I like something cylindrical.
Get a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler.

1710112115726.png

You can also get smaller ones.

5 gallon buckets work great for whole turkey but pieces will float and then you need weights or plates to hold them down.
Or a Ziploc bag filled with ice and water.
For the water cooler I used brining bags. First because I didn't want to contaminate and wash it out and second because you can cinch it up tight so barely any air and less brine to use.

Back