Instant read Thermometers

I've got a cheapie Pyrex that I bought several years ago for probably $6 or $8.
It works great and don't really think it's to slow.
Dip it into boiling water a couple times a year and it's always been accurate.

There are times when you want to have as much speed as possible. For example if you have a load of chicken thighs on and you want to make sure all have reached safe temps. It is much faster to temp these with a Thermapen than anything else I know of. Just a sec or two to get a read and just a few secs to temp all thighs on a rack.

Last Sunday I did 4 racks of chicken thighs on a 22 WSM (49 total thighs) and the Thermapen made it very easy to make sure all reached safe temps.

In a work environment, other cooks only have the slower ones and they always look to me to temp a product because of the Thermapen speed.

btw there is a sale-$69 for open box Thermapens going on now.

Thermopen is having an open box sale - "only" $69. Same warranty as new.

Still not cheap could get some folks off the fence and into the fire
icon_biggrin.gif

Got this in an email from them yesterday, supposedly not assessable via their public website:

$69 Closeout

Love mine. Have it for several years along with an infra red therm. Never missed the $$. I cook a lot indoors/outdoors and for others indoors/outdoors. I also get called into the kitchen to "help" a lot. I pretty much have them with me all the time.

Wouldn't be without them. Recently bought one of the cheaper Thermoworks units for a Christmas gift "pool" my SIL loves it:

$20

I think the specs, quality, speed, display size make a very nice unit for the $.

Anyone in the Brampton/Mississauga/Georgetown/Oakville area want to go in on group buy?

Singly, the shipping cost kills this deal for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Thermopen is having an open box sale - "only" $69. Same warranty as new.

Still not cheap could get some folks off the fence and into the fire
icon_biggrin.gif

Got this in an email from them yesterday, supposedly not assessable via their public website:

$69 Closeout

Love mine. Have it for several years along with an infra red therm. Never missed the $$. I cook a lot indoors/outdoors and for others indoors/outdoors. I also get called into the kitchen to "help" a lot. I pretty much have them with me all the time.

Wouldn't be without them. Recently bought one of the cheaper Thermoworks units for a Christmas gift "pool" my SIL loves it:

$20

I think the specs, quality, speed, display size make a very nice unit for the $. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you kindly for this sir! I was literally moments away from purchasing one for $89.00 before doing a bit more research. Now I'm getting one for $69
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Hey Richard - glad it helped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sure did. Thanks again.

'Get the best, cry once'

"Thermopen is having an open box sale - "only" $69. Same warranty as new."

Well, heck, that just cost me 69 bucks, it's on the way!

And orange is the fastest, Right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Marquez:
does the color really make a difference (not the first time I've read that)? I got black so I hope not
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it does. Black is for beef and Red is for pork. They work differently since the difference in meats cook differently.

Just messin with you
icon_smile.gif

Somewhere I did read that the colors were originally desgined for chefs and they would use them specificly for a product to avoid cross contamination. Not sure where I read that or if it is even true.

I just got a red one for Christmas and LOVE it. Non cooks just don't understand !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Marquez:
does the color really make a difference (not the first time I've read that)? I got black so I hope not
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it does. Black is for beef and Red is for pork. They work differently since the difference in meats cook differently.

Just messin with you
icon_smile.gif

Somewhere I did read that the colors were originally desgined for chefs and they would use them specificly for a product to avoid cross contamination. Not sure where I read that or if it is even true.

I just got a red one for Christmas and LOVE it. Non cooks just don't understand ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

I actually read a quote earlier straight from Thermoworks that confirmed this rumor was FALSE. But I can't tell you how many times I've read that "this" color or "that" color works the fastest (and apparently the folks at Thermowrks got the memo). It didn't make sense to me but you read enough times and it starts to grow on you
icon_smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to using it this weekend.

FWIW, I did see the color coding idea from their website. It was to avoid cross contamination with chefs. This is what they listed.

Standard Color Code:
Red = raw meat, raw beef and pork.
Blue = raw seafood
Yellow = raw poultry
Brown = cooked meats
Green = produce
White = dairy or bakery items

Then state that nowadays, people buy based on preference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R:
FWIW, I did see the color coding idea from their website. It was to avoid cross contamination with chefs. This is what they listed.

Standard Color Code:
Blue = raw seafood
Yellow = raw poultry
Brown = cooked meats
Green = produce

Then state that nowadays, people buy based on preference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So black is faster?
icon_wink.gif

Standard Color Code:
Blue = raw seafood
Yellow = raw poultry
Brown = cooked meats
Green = produce

So black is faster?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only when taking temp west of the Missisippi so I think you are good!

Standard Color Code:
Blue = raw seafood
Yellow = raw poultry
Brown = cooked meats
Green = produce

So black is faster?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only when taking temp west of the Missisippi so I think you are good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touche!
icon_biggrin.gif

My wife just put my CDN in the dishwasher. Now it reads 200 F. I'm looking for another one to replace it until I can afford a Thermapen.

This is a really old thread you've added to, but check out the Thermopop or DOT. They're fairly inexpensive and very good, IMO.

Back