Injector Suggestions

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Going to be smoking a turkey on my 26" Kettle the week of Thanksgiving. We are doing Thanksgiving day at the in-laws, but I've got that whole week off so figured I'd cook a turkey!

I was thinking of buying an injector system to add some flavor to the meat before cooking.

Thoughts on injectors?
Would you recommend a certain model or brand?

I've been using an injector very similar to this one

beast.jpg

https://chickadeesolutions.com/p/gr...term=4579809530736593&utm_content=Ad group #1

However, I just purchased this Butcher BBQ model

https://www.butcherbbq.com/product-page/gourmet-pistol-grip-injector

butcher.jpeg

Although, I've not used it yet, I think this pistol grip style will be much easier to use. The other type wears on the hand when doing large meats like butts. And the needles in the Butcher pistol grip are much smaller. I'm thinking that will help control the injection. With the beast, when I'm slowly pulling the needle out while injecting, I invariably end up spewing fluid all over the counter.

Thanks, someone else mentioned a SpitJack injector that is a similar pistol grip, but it's like $135 and I'm not trying to spend that much.

I'll read up on the Butcher BBQ one, remember to post after you've had a chance to use it. Would like to hear your thoughts.

That may be a while, I usually only inject pork butt, though I've been thinking about chicken or possibly a turkey.

I can tell right now, however, that the pistol grip will be much easier to control the flow, as opposed to using the thumb on that plunger version. It will be more exact.

If your only gonna use it once in awhile ( like me) go with an economical one.
I only inject turkeys that are gonna get fried. Smoked or grilled I'll use a flavor brine.
I probably have 10-15 different injectors scattered around and I usually use whatever comes with the injection I buy. ( Tony C's)
If you go large and use it for other things and make your own concoctions, then ya go with a quality one like Lynn suggested.:)

I definitely won't be a frequent user of the injections. Haven't done that in years. I didn't even remember that a lot of injection sauces come with the injector. Just looking get my knowledge up on the subject and buy any equipment needed.

Thought I'd give injector a try on a turkey I plan to smoke in a couple weeks. Sounds like I need to read up on this flavor brine you mention.

Wife has been nagging me lately about how it's too difficult to cook for people at our house for Thanksgiving since we don't have a double oven. Trying to pitch her the idea of me taking care of the turkey on the kettle to free up the oven for other dishes.

I have a Weston Model and really do not like it much - it is difficult to manage keeping the liquid in it. It was about $25 on Amazon. I mostly use a plastic injector that came with my Turkey frying stands from Bayou Classic - looks like something from a hospital. I now have 2 of those and would buy again (or something inexpensive and similar) since I really only do injections a few times a year. Depending on how often you use it YMMV.

Paul

I rarely inject so a big purchase was not needed.
I went with a TSC store brand, not sure if TSC is an American store too, maybe it's called Tractor Supple Company in the USA.
Went to the animal care or veterinary section. Picked up a large size syringe I guess it would be called, it has the thread on needle which you can use once and just throw away, I have to refill it maybe 3 or 4 times per roast size cook. Very cheap, uses rubber orings to seal most of the openings. $12 or so for the syringe and $5 or so for a 8 pack or 6 pack of needles. This is very cost efficient but when you are using it, it feels cheap too. But once a year or so I can deal with it. I bet it would cost under $10 American for the lot.

This is not the one I have but it is the same general idea.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SQV74FM/

IIRC, my injector set came with one of my turkey fryers.

What I would be looking for is a good metal barrel, maybe glass. I wouldn't expect plastic to hold up well. Good seals. Finger loops are fine, the pistol grip would certainly be more convenient (just watch a veterinarian with one....) but it's more to break and to clean.

Well formed threads. You really do not want to cross-thread one of these, it may never come apart again, or it' never seal again.

Large gauge needles. If you're injecting anything other than clear liquid, you risk a clog.

I do like @Darryl - swazies idea of a vet supply (yes, it's Tractor Supply here,) needle gauge might be an issue, get the biggest you can.

I have just been using mine for fluid only, the biggest gauge I could find, or largest needle I guess was pretty big
Just have to refill it a few times out of a bowl or whatever you use to mix the injection fluid in
I have never made a turkey on the smoker before but everything else I injected was questionable if it really changed the final outcome or not
Just my .02

I only inject turkeys that are gonna get fried. Smoked or grilled I'll use a flavor brine.
I probably have 10-15 different injectors scattered around and I usually use whatever comes with the injection I buy. ( Tony C's)
If you go large and use it for other things and make your own concoctions, then ya go with a quality one like Lynn suggested.:)
Picked up a few of Tony’s, for $3.49 you get a nice little injector and the creole butter, can’t beat it.

Is there a reason to inject a turkey that's getting fried over brining it? My bro in law usually fries it and does injecting but he was going to try brining it this year to compare. I smoke mine and brine them, I feel like the moisture and flavor gets more evenly distributed.

Back