Ingredient question

I bought webers book "new american bbq" and i want to make the sweet and sticky bbq beans recipe so i have 2 questions about ingredients. Here goes..

1. Molasses. What does (not blackstrap) mean?
2. What would ketchup style chili sauce be?

Thanks in advance

Unsulphured molasses is the finest quality. It is made from the juice of sun-ripened cane and the juice is clarified and concentrated. Molasses from the first boiling is the finest grade because only a small amount of sugar has been removed.
Sulphured molasses is made from green sugar cane that has not matured long enough and is treated with sulphur fumes during the sugar extracting process. The second boil molasses takes on a darker color, is less sweet and has a more pronounced flavor.
Blackstrap molasses is from the third boil.

Keptchup style chili sauce is like the stuff in bottle from Hines.

Brian, for the sweet and sticky bean recipe look for a brand of molasses called Grandma's Original Molasses in the stores. Blackstrap molasses tends to be bitter tasting and very strong, that's why the recipe states (not blackstrap).

Following Chris's lead, here's a pic of the molasses to help you id it http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0005XP1E2/tvwb-20 If you have a hard time finding it in the store ask a store clerk where they keep it stocked. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I picked up the molasses yesterday but kept the receipt just in case i needed to return it. The beans look delicious, im going to put them under my brisket this weekend to catch the savory drippings. I've never done beans from scratch so i hope their good

Back