Increase WSM Height?

Ed Cleveland

I am an older retired firefighter with a bad back. Let's just say bending isn't what I do best or for very long. I was thinking of trying to increase the height of my WSM by, as a trial, setting it on a couple of cement blocks. Or, maybe someone on here has some experience making an adjustment / mod that would like to share their experiences.

I am an older retired firefighter with a bad back. Let's just say bending isn't what I do best or for very long. I was thinking of trying to increase the height of my WSM by, as a trial, setting it on a couple of cement blocks. Or, maybe someone on here has some experience making an adjustment / mod that would like to share their experiences.
The cement block is a good start, is that enough height for you? I might suggest making a bit of a base, 3x3 blocks (that might be a bit larger than necessary) or three in front and two behind. The block would be a good stable base, bolting some angle iron legs to the existing legs would work too, the block is cheap and easy. The leg extension would require more fussing but, might be worth it. A cart would be nice but, how much work do you want to go through?
Bolt some 1”square tubing to the stock legs and insert Weber casters? Then you could roll it a bit more easily. Just blue skying.

Ed, I’m not in the same boat as you but, I look at these projects as prolonging the enjoyment for as long as possible. Making the stress on our backs lower is simply wise planning! I’m doing a couple of upgrades after it’s warm enough and I gather some hardware. The “elevation” might be one more step to consider!!!

I used the Chris Allingham angle bracket base with casters, cut a piece of plywood to fit the triangle and have an excellent rolling 18.5 WSM that is about 5" higher. It's much nicer to use now, IMO.

I used these casters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087CWMGVQ/?tag=tvwb-20

I suppose you could make Chris' and add more wood to make it taller, but I would worry about it falling off and getting tippy.

I think that a ballast is a good idea.
Yesterday I was smoking bacon, I had my lid hinged back, my stainless table folded out to the side and my wsm 18 about fell over when I tried to rest a 5 lb piece of belly on the side table.
This was a bad situation to say the least.
My hinge was properly placed over one of the legs too.
This piece of bacon was probably a bit less than 5 lbs due to brining and 8 hrs of cold smoking.
It would have been a big mess if I didn’t have the three sections locked together.
Being that I was on my front deck with bad bottom access and probably leaves down there this situation could have been much worse.

Ed, go with the blocks. Cheap solution as a test. Not high enough, add the bricks and go from there. Just make sure your level when starting. I've got the 22.5" and it sits on a level 36" round concrete well cover. Great base. Very stable.

If it's a 14WSM and you can find a Weber table you are in business. For my 18WSM I have put it on cinder blocks a time or two.

20201227_111824.jpg

I used to have one of these.
Bought it to wash the grates for my 18.5" WSM and OTG.
Found out if you flip it over it also makes a nice base for staging the mid-section pre or post cook and something to put the lid on.
I used it for tailgating to set my SJP on, could also set the WSM on.

Tomorrow we'll smoke a port butt but today I went ahead and am trying the cement block riser method. We'll see how this goes, but prepping it for the morning smoke was much easier. Here's a couple of pics right after we got it set up. Thanks for all of your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7633.jpeg
    IMG_7633.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 14
I used to have one of these.
Bought it to wash the grates for my 18.5" WSM and OTG.
Found out if you flip it over it also makes a nice base for staging the mid-section pre or post cook and something to put the lid on.
I used it for tailgating to set my SJP on, could also set the WSM on.
Way to multi purpose Timothy! Extra points!

Back