In progress restoration of '92 Genesis 2

Was finally able to get this old Genny to breathe fire tonight. Can't tell you how excited I am that it works flawlessly. Now I can narrow my focus on making it look nice. Any direct tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bknKGe5.jpg

I need this for my project. With the exception of the lid being painted, it looks to be in great shape. And bonus, comes with the a full tank.

DoapPfR.jpg

Looks like a good find if you need it. Don't sweat the lid. I just redid a Blue lid that was painted flat black and it came out beautiful. I hope those black knobs are original. I like them.

My grill is missing the flip up table, the wood is all in pretty bad shape and the cookbox has a rusty corner, which led to another problem for the drip tray. The back right thread that holds the horizontal bar has corroded off. So the right bar is only supported by a single screw.

That is a very nice, pretty early Genesis 2 as verified by the old style wheels and metal tank gauge piece (and the black knobs). If it were me, I would restore THAT grill rather than parting out a classic, increasingly hard to find, golden oldie.

If you look back at my original pictures you'll see I am also working on a Genesis 2. It would be really cool to restore a second one, but I have no need for a second gasser and my wife would kill me. I could maybe adapt parts from on to the other then sell off the extra. I'm not sure. I just need parts which are increasingly difficult to find.

Douglas,

Yeah, the first one is a 2 and certainly a cool grill, but it is not an "early" model. It has the later style wheels & knobs and doesn't have the metal gauge. None of that really matters, of course, from a practical perspective, but those early production Genesis grills have begun to have a bit of cult following with some of us here. It's kind of cool to save a piece of Weber history.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74159-1985-Weber-Genesis-3-Print-Ads

Looks like a good find if you need it. Don't sweat the lid. I just redid a Blue lid that was painted flat black and it came out beautiful. I hope those black knobs are original. I like them.

Speaking of that blue lid you rescued. How did you get the paint off? Razor scraper?

Yes sir. Partly a razor scraper, and partly paint thinner. But, I started with paint thinner and got the vast majority off that way first. Just easier and less chance of scratching something. The razor will work by itself. In this photo, you can see where I removed a strip of the flat black paint with my razor scraper. I did that to prove to someone that the lid was originally blue with black paint instead originally being black with peeling blue paint.

orpXMjU.jpg

Yes sir. Partly a razor scraper, and partly paint thinner. But, I started with paint thinner and got the vast majority off that way first. Just easier and less chance of scratching something. The razor will work by itself. In this photo, you can see where I removed a strip of the flat black paint with my razor scraper. I did that to prove to someone that the lid was originally blue with black paint instead originally being black with peeling blue paint.

orpXMjU.jpg

Great. Thanks for the info Bruce. A friend of mine is picking up the grill for me and holding it until I can get a chance to go get it. The owner verified the original lid color was black, her father originally purchased it, and gave it to her and her husband when he grew tired of it. And she said it has mostly sat in the garage or in storage. And they have the original manual to go along with it. She was even kind enough to send more pictures which I'll try to post soon.

LOL: The owner of the grill pictured above SWORE that it was a black grill lid with blue peeling paint. Hahahahaha.
Good luck Douglas, I am anxious to see some before and after pictures of your new grill.

In the mean time, I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to do with my other gen 2. It's nearly winter time here so grilling season is about over. My I will order some flip grade parts and try to sell it. I don't know.

Maybe I missed something. Looks like you did get that early version Genesis 2. So which one are you going to keep?

Maybe I'll keep the one with the black knobs and just swap all the new oem parts I bought for the grey lid. And then buy some "flipper" parts for the grey one and sell that one.

Maybe I'll keep the one with the black knobs and just swap all the new oem parts I bought for the grey lid. And then buy some "flipper" parts for the grey one and sell that one.

Sounds like a good plan:coolkettle:. I think you will enjoy having a very unusual Genesis.

If you were to decide the other way, though, please let me know. I would potentially be interested in the parts that are specific to the early Genesis, to purchase and do a swap with "regular" Genesis parts so you could still complete a grill for sale.

I have the same grey top 2000 that had the grey wood slats and fold down table on both left and right. the model serial number on my grill also suggests it was a 2000. The Gen 4 and 4000 had the flame check button on control panel which mine did not have and the 4000 came with a side burner which mine didn't. Gen 4 also being older had handle right through end caps on lid, low profile wheels and no castors on left side which mine met the specs more of a gen 4000 without side burner, serving trays or flame check button. I believe both the Gen 4 and 4000 also had stainless flavouriser bars and the steam n chips smoker 9880 as standard. No smoker on mine but did have the stainless flavouriser bars.

I have since restored this and photos below of the restoration is when it wasn't 100% complete so missing fold down tables and rocker switch but this is how it came. Previous owner says its all original and nothing swapped out so i think they sold them exactly like this. Anyone else have any info on what this grey top could be. Seems to be in between a 2000 with extras but not quite a 4000.

102291384_2632415340305740_4708955057607933952_n.jpg

104206664_608587556682980_6337230848794704199_n.jpg

Back