In defense of my most of the time patient wife...

Darn Bruce, you're sending that garbage our way! High wind warnings, heavy rain storms turning to snow. When does this S^&T ever end?!

Darn Bruce, you're sending that garbage our way! High wind warnings, heavy rain storms turning to snow. When does this S^&T ever end?!

ndww1t.jpg

No alligators around my house and thankfully no pythons, at least yet!

We do have some honking big imported lizards, though! They are call "curly tails". This one was on my deck today - about 5 or 6 inches long:

5jz4ig.jpg

Hey, at least they eat bugs:D

Last edited:
Jon my wife is a wonderful and tolerant woman but she would kill me if I had that many grills. She thought my two was excessive for a while.

I am feeling even a little more guilty:eek: I do confess! Yes, I got carried away and need to make some amends and improvements:(. My wife deserves her deck and there is a limit how many grills need to be in my yard, especially derelict ones with no realistic way to restore:p.

As far as my grill shed, I am keeping that but fully intend to get it back to the original plan where the parts are sorted and accessible for the next restore. Yes, there are parts for at least 4 or 5 grills. If I had frames I could make even more.

What I will always wrestle with is what grills should I honestly keep? How many do I realistically need, even allowing for some collection fever? I did a post on this a while back, but my list probably evolves every month! I am really enjoying using a Genesis Silver again, I love my Q, sometimes do use 3 kettles at once...Will I be able to part with my most recent find the free Genesis 300 if I work hard and fix it all up? Who knows, but I need to get things down to a line in the Florida sand and then do as Rich suggest and rehab one (alright maybe 2 or 3) at a time!!!

Back to taxes...

The one thing I can say is I do use all of them and some are set up for specific jobs. The mini smoker is used almost exclusively for smoking bacon. The JJ is for quick charcoal cooking of steaks, burgers, chops etc. and uses a lot less charcoal than the performer. The performer is for longer cooks, roasts, turkeys and such. The kettle gasser is for cooking whole chickens I've never had better chicken than that thing does. The 18.5 WSM is for larger smokes of butt's, packers and maybe someday if I get my butt in gear sausage. The two gassers are our mostly winter cookers, the E320 NG is our outdoor summer oven also and they are all we can use during the summer when the fire restrictions are in place during the fire season, no charcoal allowed.
I probably could eliminate a couple of them but I've had them for years and I'm comfortable with using them. Plus after adding the paver patio I have plenty of room for them.

Jon, if you find that you have a lot of extra parts that you can't use to put together to make a complete grill, then I would consider putting some of them up on Ebay or even CL. You might find there are others out there desperate for a manifold or tank scale or drip pan holder or the aluminum drip pan rails, etc...... Even something like an unused Weber logo plate or cover thermometer might fetch you $5-$10. It will help you clean out some clutter and give you some more seed money for your next CL find. I have two or three grills that I know will wind up being parts grills. Once I strip them down, I will look for excess parts to sell off from those and just keep what I might need in a pinch.

I am a bit better with my personal grills. I have a Q100 on the back deck. I used to use that all the time, before I rehabed my current Genesis 1000. I have the Genny 1000 that I now do 80% of my cooking on and I also have a Q140 (electric) that I use for camping and it stays in the camper. Could take the Q100 camping, but I prefer to not have to drag a bulky propane tank along. Plus, why not use the campground electric since it is paid for. So, they all get used and have specific uses.
I guess my problem is getting to be accessories. I have the Thermoworks smoke, a 9890 rotisserie, a 9891 rotisserie, a smoker box, and the requisite utinsels and grate brushes. I keep finding additional accessories that I would love to justify, and have a hard time not doing so. The storage shelf under the grill is overcrowded already.

Larry, So far it is staying mostly to the North and West which is good for me and better even for you, but that will probably change going into tonight. The hope is that the temps stay high enough so it stays mostly a rain event and not snow and ice. You should be better off that way as well. We actually need the rain up here. Up until a few days ago, the farmers were really starting to get worried and the Wisconsin River here is as low as I have ever seen it in April. Up until a couple days ago, it was as low as a dry summer in August. There was virtually no current.

While it should improve a little starting Monday, I don't see normal seasonal weather anywhere in the next ten day forecast.

Jon, if you find that you have a lot of extra parts that you can't use to put together to make a complete grill, then I would consider putting some of them up on Ebay or even CL. You might find there are others out there desperate for a manifold or tank scale or drip pan holder or the aluminum drip pan rails, etc...... Even something like an unused Weber logo plate or cover thermometer might fetch you $5-$10. It will help you clean out some clutter and give you some more seed money for your next CL find. I have two or three grills that I know will wind up being parts grills. Once I strip them down, I will look for excess parts to sell off from those and just keep what I might need in a pinch.

Bruce,

I guess at this point I have just kept any usable parts until I work through my inventory. I have, however, helped a couple members with needed parts from my supply shed:)

Once I make as many grills as I realistically can assemble, then I think your idea is very sound to whittle down excess and try to raise some more $. Some of my stuff just needs to be donated to our organization for scrap metal. I will keep an inventory of readily usable parts for future renovations which I hope to do a much better job of spacing out!

Jon:
That is what I do basically. Use what I can, store some key parts I know I can use later and then what is left that I can't sell or otherwise use, I keep in a pile until it is time to run to the local landfill/recycling center. Last year, I had to make a couple trips for old furniture and what not and just threw in the load. Pieces of frames, trashed hoods, spent grates, flavo bars and other parts that were not usable. I can get away with throwing a lot of it in the regular trash, but some not. I could keep it all until there was enough for one of the local scrappers to stop by and pick it up, but I don't like collecting and storing it until I have enough.

Yeah Bruce I noticed on my last hike along the Kishwaukee River a couple days ago the river was unusually low for this time of year. Not badly so but just at levels I typically don't see in late March and early April Same with the Rock River I noticed driving over it

Good point shaun. Hey isn't your name the same as the character on that TV show called the "GOOD DOCTOR"?

Back