I'mmmmmm Baaaaaaack! Question about 300 series hood liner? Remove? Repair?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all!!!! Well it has been a long time but you guys taught me so well that I have been able to fly on auto pilot for quite a while. I took a long break from doing resto flips but now I find myself between jobs and a little extra $$$$ for eggs and gas never hurts so I am revving up the resto machine. Well.......just one a week is the plan and I primarily focus on Genesis 300 series and any of the newer Genesis II's that I can scoop for a great deal. So I hope all of you guys are doing well and still enjoying the hobby.
I am flipping an older 300 series with the black hood yet this one has a hood liner.......I have no idea why some have liners and some dont. It makes sense for the stainless hoods but not for the black hoods. Anyway the liner has deteriorated and has some pitting and rust on the folded crease near the bottom. Its not horrible but for someone paying $350 they dont want to see that. So is it ok to remove the liner? Or should I Just fabricate some sheet metal for the bottom section and screw it in to cover the bad section? I can include pics soon.
Thanks!!!!!

Ohhhh I learned a new trick the other day so I will pass it along to anybody that hasnt figured it out yet. I wont go into too much detail cause you either know the area I am talking about or you dont. So on my 300 the knob shafts from the valves werent lining up with the control panel holes very well....they were off center. Initially I thought I had purchased another grill that had fallen on its face and bent the valves. I have learned how to fix those bent valves but that wasnt the problem with this grill. I had no idea that the adjustment is made from the underneath of the control panel. There are two screws that hold the control panel on and they install into an open slide notch vs a restrictive hole. This open slide allows you to line up your control panel then tighten doen the screws. After that you install the underside dust cover and you are good to go.
Maybe I am just late to the party but I never knew that was the purpose of that slide mount.

Some just had them some didn't. Really not necessary. So if the liner is bad an angle grinder will take care of it

I wonder if the liner helped with better heat retention. Yep I am sure I could pop it out of there. I havent really looked to see how it is attached. Is it spot welded?

I wonder if the liner helped with better heat retention. Yep I am sure I could pop it out of there. I havent really looked to see how it is attached. Is it spot welded?
Not spot welded on a 2013 or 2016 E330. Just remove the Allen screws and strap and it comes apart.

I painted the cookbox and endcaps black on mine. I think it will improve resale. The grey is really hard to clean.

Thanks for the replies. I didnt realize the Allen screws held the sandwich together on this model. I just hope if I remove it that the exterior of the hood doesnt show fading or weird discoloring. I have scraped a hundred under hoods with razor blades and the inner and outer finishes held up fine with no liners.

Just thought I would follow up. So its official I have removed my first hood liner on a Genesis 300 series. It was a little tricky because both hood pins were seized. But just like Dan said.....just remove the hood straps.....the Weber logo.....the thermometer....and you will figure it out from there. Since my hood pins were seized I removed the liner with the hood still on the grill by slightly separating the endcaps once the hood straps were removed which allowed just enough wiggle room to get that crusty liner out. Side note.....I installed an aftermarket thermometer but my first high heat run with no liner the grill really struggled to reach 550. It took about 20 minutes to get there but I am assuming she was hot at grate level but maybe not so much at hood level. Or the aftermarket thermometer was a slow learner :)

Attachments

• 20230223_174657.jpg
    20230223_174657.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 15
Ya I thought I did too.....I just searched my phone for the pic.....but truth be told I dont think my OCD would even let me take a picture of it....I was so ashamed. :)

Originally, I think Weber used those liners to keep stainless steel from turning blue. Later I believe they started using them on porcelain coated steel hoods as well because the liner material doesn’t create the “peeling paint” effect that porcelain does from carbon buildup inside of grills. One can only imagine how many service calls Weber got - and still gets about paint peeling off the inside of owners’ grills!

My main complaint is that Weber won’t sell you a replacement liner.

Ahhhhh good point about the phantom peeling paint. Many of the grills I have purchased in the past were from owners complaining about paint falling in their food. That said the liners almost always look bad to me.......but they do serve a function.

Ahhhhh good point about the phantom peeling paint. Many of the grills I have purchased in the past were from owners complaining about paint falling in their food. That said the liners almost always look bad to me.......but they do serve a function.

So funny, the peeling paint description is exactly how it looks on my Silver B

I picked up a grill from a guy that I intended to rehab. He basically was trying to apologize for the peeling paint. on the inside of the lid. I proceeded to grab a piece of the "paint" and put it in my mouth and eat it. He kinda laughed it off after I told him it was just burned on carbon. but I am not sure believed me even after that.

So funny, the peeling paint description is exactly how it looks on my Silver B
Chris, maybe if you just gave your old grill a good cleaning you would regain some of that pride of ownership. Drag it in the garage and give it a good cleaning while it's still not nice enough to cook on it, you can use a razor blade scraper on the inside of that lid to make it look new again. Here's one I did last summer, I think it's a 97 or 98 Genesis lid.20221115_131704.jpg20221115_131723.jpg

Or just cook with it as is. It doesn't affect the cooking performance and will eventually get that carbon coating again anyway.

Chris, maybe if you just gave your old grill a good cleaning you would regain some of that pride of ownership. Drag it in the garage and give it a good cleaning while it's still not nice enough to cook on it, you can use a razor blade scraper on the inside of that lid to make it look new again. Here's one I did last summer, I think it's a 97 or 98 Genesis lid.View attachment 66893View attachment 66894
If you were to see my white notepad "to do list" Clean Grill is one of the items. Has been on the list since last September. Never got to it before winter came (although winter has been very tame this year).

Most definitely on my short list of projects in the next month. A good clean of the firebox and I will look at that lid.

Can you give me any tips on the lid? Do you use any degreaser or oven cleaner spray or just a mechanical scrape? When you say razor blade are you saying actual metal blade or like a plastic razor blade or plastic putty knife or something?

Back