I'm Cooking My 1st Brisket this Weekend & Could Use Some Advice

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I bought a nice 13.20 lb Prime brisket at Costco yesterday. I've never done one before this, as I always concerned myself with the long cook. With the help of my DigiQ, I am now ready to tackle the project.

I understand pretty well about trimming the fat; putting the meat temp probe in the flat; dry rub & possible injection. I am not certain about when to begin the cook.

Am I correct that around 5 - 6 hrs into the cook the internal temp should be about 160º and ready to wrap tightly in foil? Then another 5 or 6 hrs until the IT is 200º. At 200º wrap in towels and put into a cooler for another 2 or 3 hrs.

If all that is correct - at what IT is it ready to eat during the cooler time?

Also, is everybody actually getting out of bed at the 5 hr mark to foil these briskets?

The timing and length of time has kept me from making this jump, all these years.
Any tips from you are appreciated!

My advice, take it or leave it.

1. Foil unnecessary. Others may disagree. I've never used foil.
2. Don't over trim the fat. It helps keep the meat moist and you can trim it before eating.
3. Meat temps will vary depending on the temp you are running. I've done a high heat 17 lb brisket in 7.5 hours and nailed it. I've also undercooked a 13 lb brisket cooking at 250*.
4. Time in cooler may vary. 2 hours okay. 3 hours okay. Just depends on when you want to eat and what time it is. I'd give it at least 30 minutes to rest, preferably 1 hour+.
5. I like starting around 12am and then going to sleep. I find this a good starting time because it gives you plenty of flexibility to cook until done, and hold longer in cooler if cooked sooner than expected.
6. Do NOT worry about overcooking the point. It's fatty and you are not going to over trim the fat (see number 2 above). Cook until the flat is ready (probe passes through like hot nail through butter) and let the point "come along for the ride."

Good luck.

Though I do not buy prime cut brisket, I cook start to finish at 350*F. When it hits 170*F internal I wrap it in foil until 205*F. The whole cook takes 5 hrs and it has never failed. I plan to cook one for Sunday Supper starting after church while the race is on. If interested read up on K Kruger's High Heat method. ...but not sure if it works for Prime cut or not.

Foil is definitely not necessary. I usually do mine a 250, and it typically takes nine or at most ten hours. I use just salt and pepper for the rub, and serve with sauce on the side. Brisket is easy on the WSM.

My advice, take it or leave it.

1. Foil unnecessary. Others may disagree. I've never used foil.
2. Don't over trim the fat. It helps keep the meat moist and you can trim it before eating.
3. Meat temps will vary depending on the temp you are running. I've done a high heat 17 lb brisket in 7.5 hours and nailed it. I've also undercooked a 13 lb brisket cooking at 250*.
4. Time in cooler may vary. 2 hours okay. 3 hours okay. Just depends on when you want to eat and what time it is. I'd give it at least 30 minutes to rest, preferably 1 hour+.
5. I like starting around 12am and then going to sleep. I find this a good starting time because it gives you plenty of flexibility to cook until done, and hold longer in cooler if cooked sooner than expected.
6. Do NOT worry about overcooking the point. It's fatty and you are not going to over trim the fat (see number 2 above). Cook until the flat is ready (probe passes through like hot nail through butter) and let the point "come along for the ride."

Good luck.

Roger, JeffB hit the nail on the head. As a fellow Texan, I think all 6 items he mentions is on point. I just usually start mine about 5:00am though, and it ever actually stalled, we'd miss dinner. When using a stickburner, as I always have, I've never had the luxury of starting a cook and then going to bed...as it has to be monitored and watched constantly, and I have to add wood at least every 45 minutes. I usually smoke a packer brisket between 275*-290* on my stickburner. I've joined this site because I'd like to do an overnight cook, so I ordered a 22.5 WSM last weekend...and am looking forward to trying it. And, I will try a brisket on a new WSM soon...so, I can't really speak for that at this time. But, like JeffB says, my brisket is normally ready in 7-8 hours...sitting at around 200*-203* internal. At this point, I take it off the smoker, wrap it in foil, and a towel, then put it in an ice chest to rest for 3-4 hours...just whenever the rest of dinner is ready. Normally, I try to take it off at 200* internal, because the temp will continue rising for a while after you remove it from heat. Even at a 4 hour rest, it will still be very hot, requiring gloves, when you go to slice it. Sometimes, during the cook, I don't wrap at all, sometimes I wrap in foil (what they call the Texas crutch), and sometimes I wrap in butcher paper. I see very little difference in the three ways I've smoked it. Without wrapping has a little crispier bark, and wrapping in butcher paper has a crispier bark than wrapping in foil. And, at that temp and above, whether you wrap or not, most of the time it will go right on through "the stall". If I do wrap, I'll do it at about 160*internal...as between 160*-170* is where the stall will come in to play. I've seen friends trying to smoke a brisket at 225*, which is fine...but, I've also seen them hit the stall for 7-8 hours...you just never know when it does hit the stall. I always tell them, if you're between 160*-170* internal, sitting at the same temp for 30-45 minutes, take it off and wrap it in foil, crank your smoker temp up to 275* and let it get past 175* internal. Then, you can either drop your smoker back down to 225*, or just leave it at 275*...and it will sail right on through to 200*. If you can get to 170* without it stalling, it will sail right on through . I also believe in only Kosher salt and course ground black pepper for a rub...that's the Central Texas flavor profile that I like personally. Most people will say one part salt to one part pepper...but I like to go one part salt to two-three parts pepper.

Here's the last one I smoked, for New Year's. That's why I'm ready to do another one.

IMG_6699_zps30cjwvyf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was very tender and juicy. You can see below some pieces from the point, which is what I like.

IMG_6722_zpsdyynshuu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mick,
Thanks very much. Great looking meat too!

Do you guys ever slather brisket with mustard then add your rub?

Last edited:
Well Robert I say don't over complicate it just let the wsm do what it is going to do .if you're temp on the smoker is 25 +or mins don't worry to much make small adjustment to the bottom vents the top fully open so you don't get stale smoke. it's a big cut of meat use salt. pepper .garlic. give it a good coat good luck and enjoy

Happy smoking and good eating :wsm::kingsford::blackkettle::blackkettle::smokeyjoe:

I decided to not inject my first ever brisket. I made up the broth, but then thought I'd see what it's like natural. I did however take some of the fat and meat trimmings and simmer them in that broth that I 'was' going to inject...

Can you inject that simmered solution into a brisket? There is fat floating on top. If you were to inject the flavoring and the fat, would the fat make the meat more tender when cooked in the meat?

My WSM is heating up and I'm about ready to go... another question please -

During the stall, I'll wrap either in tin foil or brown paper bag.
If I take it out of the foil at 185 - 190 and put it back in my cooker until 205,
will the bark go back to being crispy again?

Roger,

You have already made to two major steps to a good brisket -- you bought prime and you have a WSM. If this is your first cook, do it simple, like several above have suggested. Use water in the pan, don't wrap and cook until the flat is probe-tender. After you have that first one under your belt, feel free to start experimenting with tweaks.

Use water in the pan, don't wrap and cook until the flat is probe-tender. After you have that first one under your belt, feel free to start experimenting with tweaks.

When I remove the brisket from the foil the bark will be gooey I think. Can I remove it early and set it back in my WSM to dry out the bark again? If yes, how long does this drying out take?

When you remove the brisket from the WSM and unwrap it, there will likely be liquid in the foil, so be careful. I would just open the foil, let the brisket rest on the counter until it reaches about 170-175 internal, then re-wrap it and let it rest in a cooler (wrapped in towels) for 1-3 hours -- the longer the better. It will reabsorb the moisture and be nice and juicy. The bark will be fine.

Mick,
Thanks very much. Great looking meat too!

Do you guys ever slather brisket with mustard then add your rub?

Personally, no, I don't slather mine in mustard before I rub...I use Tabasco sauce. Works great! And, I have never even contemplated injecting a brisket.

Back