I'm a little rusty..

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
After the long winter layoff from cooking outdoors....
well , to begin with...I had these two petite sirloins that have been in the freezer since September so their time came today. Thawed em out and then marinated them in weber grill creations Italian herb marinade (which was excellent).
6c1118edcdc845b9e903f9a615f010ed_zpsc25dd8fe.jpg

d363f8bc482c97641d62b7a7a0a302e7_zps2ef0ed24.jpg

Sooooooo next I fired up the smoky joe with a mix of lump and briquettes in my medium chimney...the lump was a bunch of fragments left in the bag of Frontier brand that I bought a while back and that's where my troubles started. There was so many small fragments of lump that once it all got going , it was a pretty small fire when the chimney was dumped in the grill. I knew right away the fire wasn't going to get hot enough. This is what the steaks looked like after 6 minutes and a flip.
cab3473ac6c188f1ad02f21b05164181_zps683ed7ff.jpg

The meat was cooking but no grill marks and not really getting a good sear on the outside. The smoke did smell good , though. I almost gave up on the grill and brought it in the house to broil , but I summoned my patience and waited. I have to say these were not great LOOKING steaks when they were done , but the flavor was excellent and they were tender and juicy. I like this cut of beef and the Weber marinade was really nice.

5597ad0f9b48c5447a5c17d57ec1a087_zps4bcb864b.jpg

I know Tony won't give me any points for (paper) plating :p , but week nights I like to shoot for easy cleanup. So visually this was a bit of a fail , but it tasted durn good. And BTW , I am done with lump charcoal. Briquettes for me from now on. Too much waste to that lump stuff.

I tried the Weber Garlic and Herb marinade with chicken breasts last night and liked it a lot too.
Your steaks look beautiful on the inside, so your not really rusty at all.

FrankH;
The steak looks FINE!

Some time ago, I settled on Kingsford Original Briquettes. They are absolutely consistent and I know what to expect. They do a fine job for me and I stock up during the Memorial Day and Labor day sales.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Looks good to me my friend...

You could of added a little habanero death dust to the marinade.

Thanks , guys. You know , the other great thing about a home cooked steak dinner like this is the price ! 5 bucks for two really nice steaks? You add in the 50 cents I spent on the marinade and 2 potatoes and a little charcoal and we had dinner for about $4 each. Try that at Longhorn steakhouse.

tony , I used a tiny tiny pinch in some rub I used the other day and sweeties lips were burning all night. I had to promise not to do that again. :rolleyes:

Rusty Frank? I don't think so bud, looks like good eats to me. I am with you on the lump, I will still use it in a cook mixed with 80% Stubbs as I do believe it adds some nice flavor. But the Stubbs are a cooks dream for fire and consistency in my opinion

Back