ill never use newspaper in the chimney again

I've always used news paper but if I ever run out I have a good back up plan now. I saw a video where someone used those cubes in place or lit charcoal when using the minion method. I can see it working but I'm guessing it takes quite a long time for the grill to get up to temp.

I use the Weber cubes to start my chimney. I put an upside down, empty, tuna can on my grill grates, put the cube on top of the can, light the cube and set the chimney full of briquettes over the tuna can. The tuna can prevents the cube from falling through the grates and also inserts the cube higher up into the chimney for more effective use. One cube works every time. It only takes 15-20 minutes before it is ready to dump the coals into the grill.

When using the WSM, I drop a cube into an IKEA silverware caddy, light it and then carefully drop in my 12 briquette load (using the "tin can minion method"). In just a few minutes it is ready to dump into the tin can. Works beautifully and is completely consistent. The WSM is ready to go in about 15-20 minutes.

Dale53:wsm:

I keep all our wine corks, and soak them in a jar of alcohol. Just be sure and don't use the synthetic corks. Sometimes it takes 2 depending on wind and such, lot neater than newspaper.

A vote for the Weber firecube here too. Just one and the chimney starts quickly every time. I also use one to start the WFO; so easy and foolproof.

I crumble up and stick an entire edition of the Sacramento Bee up under the chimney. I then soak about half a roll of Bounty in Quaker State and place it down in the top of the chimney. Finally, I take an entire box of Weber cubes and stick them in the bottom holes of the chimney. I load my Matchlight charcoal and place the chimney on the side burner of my gasser and start it up. This works every time. :D

(Warning, do not try this at home)

Paper towels and canola oil for me. Cheaper and more readily available than starter cubes, none of the ash and sparks of newspaper.

I used to use paper in my chimney. then I discovered the weber cubes. no looking back. light easy, burn hot/long, no odor and can be crumbled by hand when needed.

Never tried the cubes or paper towels, but the side burner of my gasser is awesome for lighting a chimney. :D

Ditto, but sometimes use a cube as I have leftover stash. Save the cubes for trips where's there pits but no gasser...............d

Just yesterday's paper here. Usually have enough wind here on the coast. Have never had a problem. No oil.

Paper towels and oil for me! When I cook bacon, I save the towels used to drain off the excess grease. Works great and smells good too!

Went to local :Lowes today and picked up 4 boxes of The Weber cubes $3.29 a boxs , also use round Cedar non tocic firestarters always have clean and perfect fires
jerr

You guys turned me onto the cubes this spring and its all I use.
Nice to know one will light the chimney I have been using two.

I bought some Weber cubes - they work great, but I can smell something that I don't like - and there seems to be a core that takes longer than I am willing to wait to burn itself out.

Lately, I have been using paper towels soaked in peanut oil - I don't get the ash that I got with newspaper and I don't get the remnants from the cube - my next step will be to try a propane torch applied to a limited area - if I ever get tired of the PT and peanut oil.

Back