I'll call the first run a success....

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Two racks of BB ribs. I've read that if you cook them perfect, they are outstanding and if you cook them poorly, they are still ok. My guests thought they were outstanding, but I think they were over-cooked.

The WSM performed perfectly.. nothing to add there.. Learned a lot in a short time and the WSM seems pretty forgiving.

My intent was 2,2,1. With temps right where they should be it took a looong time for the rub to set and after 3:15 I was just starting to see some pull back on one of the two racks. I used water in the pan.. could that have contributed to the long stage one?

Stage two (wrapped in foil meat side down with a generous dose of sauce) was only an hour.. and after that time the meat was already falling off the bone and it stuck to the foil in one spot, causing the rack to come apart. I was already 'cooked' at this point.

Stage three, to set the sauce, was only a half hour.. any longer and I would have crashed and burned.

Would no water in the pan, with more generous spritzing if needed (I used ACV) have shortened stage one?

Two racks of BB ribs. I've read that if you cook them perfect, they are outstanding and if you cook them poorly, they are still ok. My guests thought they were outstanding, but I think they were over-cooked.

The WSM performed perfectly.. nothing to add there.. Learned a lot in a short time and the WSM seems pretty forgiving.

My intent was 2,2,1. With temps right where they should be it took a looong time for the rub to set and after 3:15 I was just starting to see some pull back on one of the two racks. I used water in the pan.. could that have contributed to the long stage one?

Stage two (wrapped in foil meat side down with a generous dose of sauce) was only an hour.. and after that time the meat was already falling off the bone and it stuck to the foil in one spot, causing the rack to come apart. I was already 'cooked' at this point.

Stage three, to set the sauce, was only a half hour.. any longer and I would have crashed and burned.

Would no water in the pan, with more generous spritzing if needed (I used ACV) have shortened stage one?
I did the exact same approach with no water in the pan yesterday. The only difference was I did not sauce the ribs but just put them directly in the foil but I still experienced the same thing. After two hours there was decent bark formation. After taking the ribs out of the foil after two hours they were pretty much ready to fall apart. I think next time I may go 2-1.5-1 or maybe even shorten the foil time to an hour. I feel like the bark probably softens up pretty quick with the ribs basically steaming themselves.

Though I am guessing, I'd like to try again without water in hopes I can reduce the first phase to the two hour mark. I think the water might have extended the initial cooking time which messed up everything that followed. i had an admirable bark and a decent smoke ring.. should have taken pictures. However, there was no taking a bite of the ribs.. the meat just fell off the bones.

I think the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 are just guidelines for people starting out smoking ribs. I don't follow it instead I check the ribs about every hour. Once the bark sets then I wrap. At the hour mark I unwrap and use the rest of the time to get the bark set again and then sauce. Every cook can be different. I did two racks of spares Saturday and went 2.5-1-1 until they were done. I used water in the pan and cooked at around 250.

Some of the best ribs I’ve made were with no foil at all. If you prefer bark to tenderness thats the way to go. I have recently started going no water in pan too, which I find increases my charcoal life and helps build an even better bark. Make sure to spritz often though if going no water in pan, I like to use AC Vinegar / Water 5050.

Cheers,
Kyle

Back