If you couldn't have a WSM, what would you buy?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious what you would buy if you couldn't buy the WSM. To stay in the same general price range, I would add, up to $400-500 or so. I realize the wsm is only $250, but there really doesn't seem to be anything that compares to the wsm at this exact price point, so it would come down to a range.

Originally posted by Davidd:
Just curious what you would buy if you couldn't buy the WSM. ...
Since it's getting closer to Halloween, I guess it's appropriate to submit "your most scarey thought" ... ?
icon_smile.gif

Seriously, I don't think you can buy an equivalent smoker in the $400 to $500 range. If I had to get something other than the WSM, I would probably go with a Backwoods smoker, and that would take me up around $750, or more, plus a bunch for shipping.

Paul

I would go with the BGE which is a big price jump. Nothing compares with the WSM at its price. I am fortunate to have both...tom

Hello all,

We all know the WSM is nothing more than a metal tube with the ability to support some grates inside. It's also got some holes in the top and bottom. This means that any metal tube that could be made to support some grates and that you could drill some holes in could easily replace the WSM. How about your basic 55 gallon drum? I have a WSM and a BBQ Guru but sometimes I would like more capacity. One of these days I'am going to get motivated enough to locate and purchase a clean 55 gallon drum to convert into a smoker. I realize that 55 gallon drums are easy to come by but, due to health concerns, you want one that was used by the food manufacturing industry rather than by a paint or plastics manufacturer.

This guy below buys his used drums from a juice company (I think). He punches a few holes in them, adds some grates and paints them with black grill paint. If anybody would like to know the size and quantity of holes to drill into a 55 gallon drum to make it into a natural-draft smoker just let me know. However, if you will be using the BBQ Guru or Stoker, you would of course only want one hole in the bottom for the blower and 3 or 4 smaller ones around the top perimeter.

http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

Take care,

Brian

Before I scored my WSM I was using an Okie Joe's Longhorn which I still use when I need high capacity.

Before I bought my WSM, I was going back and forth between buying that and a Bar-B-Chef w/mods. So, I would probably go with that.

To keep somewhat close to the price range you mentioned, the closest I would go would be a Backwoods too, I suppose. Alas, it's too late to speculate - done did da deed, and bought myself a birthday present.

It's kind of a new kid on the block made by Travis Creek in San Angelo TX - it's a trailer-mounted Diamond Plate Products "Fat 50" model. 5 feet wide, 40" deep, two rack levels, about 31 sq ft of cooking space, two big heat transfer pipes coming in the rear-mounted firebox, dampers everywhere you could possibly want to "damp", and right-fine-lookin' twin chrome Peterbilt stacks. A dream to keep temps balanced, fast to heat up, and easy to maintain. First big cook is this weekend, with a minimum of 4 packers, 4 butts, a case of spares, about 40-50 chicken thighs, a few cabbages, a coupla fatties, and a few pans of cornbread after everything else comes off and I run the heat up to oven temps.

Pictures Here.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

I think I might fabricate one of those smokers that are made out of two 55-gallon drums...
bigbaby1.jpg

I think the question is ... What KIND of smoker do you want? You want a easy one? Like a WSM, or something you need to tend to occasionally like an offset.

If you want easy, then I can't recommend anything else than the WSM.

If you want to play with fire, then the 20" Horizon "Classic" is the most attractive for a little more.
Solid 1/4" walls, 36" horizontal, 18" firebox, portable, decent capacity for $900.

Easy answer for me. I would buy a Grill Dome. It is a reasonably priced equivalent to the BGE, with a better choice of colors.

Originally posted by Brian K:
Hello all,

We all know the WSM is nothing more than a metal tube with the ability to support some grates inside. It's also got some holes in the top and bottom. This means that any metal tube that could be made to support some grates and that you could drill some holes in could easily replace the WSM. How about your basic 55 gallon drum? I have a WSM and a BBQ Guru but sometimes I would like more capacity. One of these days I'am going to get motivated enough to locate and purchase a clean 55 gallon drum to convert into a smoker. I realize that 55 gallon drums are easy to come by but, due to health concerns, you want one that was used by the food manufacturing industry rather than by a paint or plastics manufacturer.

This guy below buys his used drums from a juice company (I think). He punches a few holes in them, adds some grates and paints them with black grill paint. If anybody would like to know the size and quantity of holes to drill into a 55 gallon drum to make it into a natural-draft smoker just let me know. However, if you will be using the BBQ Guru or Stoker, you would of course only want one hole in the bottom for the blower and 3 or 4 smaller ones around the top perimeter.

http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

Take care,

Brian

I built my magnum this past spring and bought a brand new drum from an industrial supplier in my town. I would suggest taking a stroll through your local yellow pages as I am sure there is a need for drums in just about all big cities. I am sure someone will ask, the drum I bought was $26. They sold cleaned "used" drums for $22. I figured I would just splurge and buy a brand new one instead of worrying about what was in it or what it was cleaned with.

$4-$500 range? Nothing compares to the WSm imo. I tend to agree with Larry and would build that smoker, or buy a small heating oil tank and make one.

Weber 22-1/2 inch kettle.

It has the capacity for most of the smoking I do and temperature can be controlled almost as well as a WSM. I'd also think more seriously about building a Magnum if I wanted more capacity.

jrp

lots of interesting posts. i enjoyed reading them. one thing is certainly clear, everyone agrees that the WSM is the best unit in this price range.

i already decided to buy one and contacted the grill doctor. i gave up on all substitutes, including gas, electric, etc. For my hunting camp, the electric will work. For home, it will be a wsm.

Back