Identifying Year Of Weber Grills From Serial Numbers

MikeBee

Hi everyone. I have been using this page to identify the year of both charcoal and gas Weber grills.

It seems there may be an update available for new products. For example, some Qs serial number now start with VG which does not mean much with the old GIVEJOYNUW code. Does anyone have or know where I can get an update on serial number codes?

Cheers

Hi Mike,

Weber does not publicly announce these date code schemes. We only know about new ones when we stumble across them, and then for a while we don't know what we're dealing with until we pry the info out of a Weber customer support rep OR enough time passes that we can fill in the blanks ourselves.

If the Q you're speaking of is a 2021 model, then the code is GVxxxxxxxx with G being 1 and V being 2. Looking at the Weber.com support page, the two-letter dropbox contains options for VG and VW. So maybe the code is GVxxxxxxxW with VW being 2020 and VG being 2021.

Hi Mike,

Weber does not publicly announce these date code schemes. We only know about new ones when we stumble across them, and then for a while we don't know what we're dealing with until we pry the info out of a Weber customer support rep OR enough time passes that we can fill in the blanks ourselves.

If the Q you're speaking of is a 2021 model, then the code is GVxxxxxxxx with G being 1 and V being 2. Looking at the Weber.com support page, the two-letter dropbox contains options for VG and VW. So maybe the code is GVxxxxxxxW with VW being 2020 and VG being 2021.
Thank you Chris. The specific model I am talking is a Q3200. I have seen plenty with S/N's beginning with VW which appear to have a manufacturing date up to 09/20. The VG ones seem to have manufacturing date from 10/20 - neither of which make sense based on GIVEJOYNUW. Will keep trying to crack the code.....

Investigating this a bit further. Looking at the GIVEJOYNUW date codes on Weber.com, it's interesting to note that dates go from GI (2012) to GU (2019) but there is no IW for 2020 or IG for 2021. Yet Mike says there is VW for 2020 and VG for 2021. I'm starting to think these grills have been erroneously coded as 2030 and 2031.

It's also the case that every date code starting with G on Weber.com is accounted for using the GIVEJOYNUW code. In other words, if there was a new date code GVxxxxxxxW where V = 2, we might expect to find a code on Weber.com like Gx for 2019 where x is an unknown letter. But there are no such codes on Weber.com...every code starting with G fits neatly into the GIVEJOYNUW code.

And wouldn't it be really confusing to have two date codes that both start with G and end with W? My money is on a coding error in the serial numbers of Weber Q 3200 grills. Either that or those grills teleported back from the future. :D

Yah, I am confused.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Ya never know. The other day there was an obit in our paper, showing 1953 to 2051. Go figure

I know. I see people getting all "hung up" on there about "what year is my grill". It really doesn't matter as they typically made the exact same thing for many years in a row with no changes or such subtle changes i.e. casters on left side or not.

Yah, Larry, but if you had a late 60's Chevy Chevelle, you would want to know if it was a '68 or a '69.

A Chevelle is not a grill LOL. And if you have one and can't tell you don't deserve to own it LOL. Give it to me! (the Chevelle not the grill). Just like someone had posted a grill photo. And another member noticed what they thought was Chevelle from 70. I knew right off just from the curve of the 1/4 glass it was a 68 :D

If you really want to get into date codes, try getting an old Corvette judged. People spend a s-load of money getting the right date coded parts for their restorations. I guess it makes them more valuable to a collector. Problem is, two days later, are those parts still on the car? It's crazy.

I can see trying to find out when your grill was built if you have something special, like an early Genesis with the wide wooden slats, or an old kettle grill from back when they started making them.

Yeah, I could tell that wasn't a '70 Chevelle
Gerry

Watch the show Graveyard Cars. That guy goes down to even using the correct fasteners for the date and more. They do amazing work even if you aren't a Mopar fan it is worth the watch

MOPAR. Yah, I was watching some older NASCAR footage a couple weeks ago and it was awesome seeing those old Dodges and Pontiacs. It is really too bad that Chrysler is out of the Nascar game.

Today I have run into yet another new year code. I have a Q1200 with S/N beginning with LB. The date on the sticker is A11/11/2020 I do not believe these are errors. Instead, I believe our friends at Weber have a new code sequence out there. As previously mentioned, I have run into VW and VG on Q3200s as well with 2020 sticker dates.

Today I have run into yet another new year code. I have a Q1200 with S/N beginning with LB. The date on the sticker is A11/11/2020 I do not believe these are errors. Instead, I believe our friends at Weber have a new code sequence out there.
LB would be the BLAQKSMIXH date code used on some charcoal and gas grills. A grill made 11/11/20 would be a 2021 model year grill, thus LB date code for 21.

Back