ideas for weekend bbq

Aaron B

Hey everyone I am in need of suggestions. I want to do something on the smoker for a small get together of about 6-8 people and I wanted to see if anybody had any ideas. Keep in mind that these guys will eat like horses as we have all just returned from deployment so don't rule out the bigger cuts of meat. Thanks ahead of time guys!

Brisket, Pulled Pork, Beer Can Chicken & Ribs!
icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of chicken and ribs. Everybody likes ribs and it's easy to do a bunch of them at once. If me, I'd do the chicken for 6-8 on my kettle. Then there's the possibilty of a chuck roll, pulled beef.

I think you get more bang for the buck (and space) doing pulled pork. Smoke up a 9pounder on the bottom rack, and then add a bunch of chicken (wings, quarters, breasts, Cornish hens, fryers, whatever) to the top later in the cook.

Easy peezy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
make 200 wings! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And 200 ABT's to go with 'em!

I'm doing two 7 lb. butts for ten people but 4 are children. That would feed 6 navy guys just off deployment - maybe
icon_wink.gif
. Pork fat rules.

Welcome home. I'm proud of the way you young guns have picked up after us old codgers. Stand tall. You have earned our respect.

I'm not sure what you're cooking in, but you could always do a pork butt and throw some other things on. Maybe some brats or sausages, chicken pieces, or a chuck roast.

well after careful consideration and all your input i've decided to do pork butts. can't really go wrong there, plus its a forgiving piece of meat and i might need it to be after not being able to use the wsm for a year.

i also have a rack of spareribs that came pre cut st. louis style that i was thinking of throwing on the top rack. i was gonna do them yesterday but the weather wasn't having it.

again thanks for the input guys. if the cook goes well i can post pictures, if not... well we .will just leave it at that, hahaha.

just a quick follow up to this. everywhere i look i cant seem to find any wood other than hickory and mesquite. does anyone know any major retailers who sell a decent variety? i'm located around the Tennessee/Kentucky border and i would have thought that it would be easy to find some in the area.

The Kentucky/Tennessee border is pretty big. There's an Academy Sports north of Nashville going towards Kentucky. The Academy's around here carry a good variety of wood. Oak, Pecan, Hickory, Mesquite and Apple. You might call if it's a bit of a drive for you to make sure they have it before you go. Other than that I would suggest trying a local hardware store. I've had good luck with the "Do It Best" hardware stores. You could also try the Ace Hardware stores.

yeah after rereading my last post i realized i wasn't to specific about my location. i'm in clarksville. the academy sports is a bit of a drive especially with a wife and kid coming along for the ride.

i ended up just grabbing a bag of the real flavor hickory chunks from wally world in the plastic bag. i was hoping to get something different this time around but it can wait. i got all the time in the world now.

i would also like to say thank you guys for the thanks, it means a lot when people say it. its easy to forget that there are still people who appreciate what we do.

Back