ID Help - Genesis Lids?

Katherine DL

I've recently picked up yet another Weber primarily for the frame (no rust) and, because it's blue vs. my original 2001 Silver B which is green. Though I bought this without being able to personally inspect it, all images provided showed it to be in better condition (aka less/no rust) as compared to my original. Great right?!
BUT, after getting it home I discovered an "unusual" difference in the lid assembly. The side panels have "studs" through them attaching the shroud? Whereas the side panels on mine are solid. I'm not sure if this indicates it's an older or newer model year.

All other aspects of the grill appear identical. I was certainly attracted to the blue lid but based solely on a "knock test" my original one certainly seems to be more robust/solid. I can literally just swap lids between the two if needed but I wanted to ask if the gauge/quality of the lid itself changed during the early 2000s??? Perhaps it's only a question of how they're attached? Any help appreciated as always!!

PS > Winter rehabs anyone?? When all's said & done I'll have TWO Genesis Silver Bs (one LP - one NG) ca. 2001/2002 literally FREE to a good/loving home.
References are not required & there's no "rehoming" fee!!

1119201438[1].jpg

Katherine,
The Blue lid is an older lid if it has the studs/bolts that protrude through it. Pretty much anything 1999 and older had that style till Weber made the end cap with just a stud affixed to it. You can used either end cap as long as it's a 3 burner on both as they will match up just fine.

I haven't noticed any weight differences or one style of lid being more robust than the other.

Jeff

Yah, that entire lid will be interchangeable or you can swap just the end caps as long as the other lid isn't the more rounded style that Weber came out with towards the end of the Silver B line in mid 2000s.

The nice thing about that lid is that you can replace those bolts with some nice Stainless steel ones to make it look this way.

20190907 Genesis 1000 Skyline (4).JPG

Thanks everyone!! So essentially if I wanted to use the "solid" end caps from my original grill they'd work with the blue cover from the older one? All dimensions and mounting appear to be the same except for the "plugs" in the one I just got.

Needless to say I'm determined to keep my original (19+ yr old) grill alive & well for as long as humanly possible - the current ones just seem to be tin knockoffs when compared to the older ones :cautious:

I'd already replaced my flavorizer bars with those from RCPlanebuyer after replacing OEM bars2x and couldn't be happier.
As for the grates I'd replaced the porcelain ones with steel and then replaced them yet again with "grillgrates" - frankly I do not like them. They're a bitc* to clean and I can't honestly see what all the fuss is about. I'd purchased an original set of the cast iron grates beforehand which I'd never installed and now after 5 yrs they're still fine, no rust and prefer them over all others ... least so far.

Anyone in my area looking to "rehome" two Silver B's ??? Winter projects perhaps;)

Thanks everyone!! So essentially if I wanted to use the "solid" end caps from my original grill they'd work with the blue cover from the older one? All dimensions and mounting appear to be the same except for the "plugs" in the one I just got.

Needless to say I'm determined to keep my original (19+ yr old) grill alive & well for as long as humanly possible - the current ones just seem to be tin knockoffs when compared to the older ones :cautious:

I'd already replaced my flavorizer bars with those from RCPlanebuyer after replacing OEM bars2x and couldn't be happier.
As for the grates I'd replaced the porcelain ones with steel and then replaced them yet again with "grillgrates" - frankly I do not like them. They're a bitc* to clean and I can't honestly see what all the fuss is about. I'd purchased an original set of the cast iron grates beforehand which I'd never installed and now after 5 yrs they're still fine, no rust and prefer them over all others ... least so far.

Anyone in my area looking to "rehome" two Silver B's ??? Winter projects perhaps;)
Katherine,

I am with you on cast iron, and I am sure Larry will love your review of GrillGrates 😆 !

Yes, the "stud-less" end-cap will bolt right up to the older blue lid just fine. As a matter of fact, my 1996 grill is currently using the stud-less variety end caps.

Jeff

The lids with the studs also have the advantage that you can use SS 1/4" bolts and nuts. For the lid panels with the integrated bolt stems you have to use the self cutting nuts and I could not find any of these in SS.

Stefan,

I would have to agree with that. I haven't seen any at least. I don't see it as a big deal because they are quickly covered with grease so rusting out usually isn't a big problem that I have found. Both looks have their positives. I guess I kind of prefer the "clean" look of the studless, but if I were doing one of those big Genesis Gold/Platinum grills on the Summit frame I might try the stainless some of you have used successfully. It goes along with the "macho" look of those grills to me.

Back