I wonder what charcoal sales will be like this year?

The grocery store that's closest to us got bought out by another chain. :(
And since there is one of the purchasers stores a mile and a half down the road from there, it's going to close down sooner or later.
As soon as I hear of it's closing date, I'm going to go buy all the charcoal I can from them, because they have a really decent price on KBB!
I'll keep you guys informed

Around me, KBB is 50 cents a pound at HD/Lowes all year round. Only goes down slightly when on sale.

So I mostly go with K Pro from Costco instead. 55 cents a pound reg price ($20, 36 pounds). 42 cents a pound ($5 off) when it goes on sale (first sale is next week).

But I got most of my stash in October at clearance time. 36 pounds of K Pro for $9.97. 28 cents per pound.

I have more than enough to get me through the next 3 months, so I'm going to wait for the Memorial Day sales and go from there. If Lowes has a great deal on KBB I'll go with that. If the Costco K-Pro sale is the best deal, I'll go that route.

I have more than enough to get me through the next 3 months, so I'm going to wait for the Memorial Day sales and go from there. If Lowes has a great deal on KBB I'll go with that. If the Costco K-Pro sale is the best deal, I'll go that route.
I think I can make it to Memorial Day, maybe Independance Day. After that..l I grill damn near every weekend.

I am assuming you are not to neat to one of the big BBQ stores in Edmonton or Calgary. I noticed the same thing nothing at any of the big box stores for the longest time. Gave me the opportunity to try out Jealous Devil lump that I can pick up 15 minutes away here in Edmonton. It would be nice if we saw some of those big sales on Charcoal that you used to see in the US here in Canada. I don't know if I have ever seen Charcoal on sale.

Yeah, I am in the North West, so it's quite a long drive to BBQ Country - don't make it too often unless I'm around that area for something else. I just went to Lowes East today and they had Cowboy brand which I have never seen before. Picked up a bag. A little steep - I think it was $27, but they had a good supply of other brands too. I've been picking up "broken bag" stock when possible and ask for a discount and they usually give me a good deal. I got about 5 bags of Kamado Joe Large Lump - cut open bags, at 50% off a while back at Lowes...they were not missing too much.

Unfortunately, the most common - Royal Oak, is the one I don't like much. Picked up a bag of Master Chef at Canadian Tire to try as well.

My local Sams has Kingsford Original, two 20# bags, $16.98 ......... I believe that was Home Depot's price last Memorial Day ?

@Chris S in YEG So, had to run to Costco at lunch, and of course after paying $26 for a bag of Cowboy at Lowes yesterday, they have it at Costco for $16! Too far to drive back to return it for $10...but hope it's OK as I picked up a couple more bags.

Yeah, I am in the North West, so it's quite a long drive to BBQ Country - don't make it too often unless I'm around that area for something else. I just went to Lowes East today and they had Cowboy brand which I have never seen before. Picked up a bag. A little steep - I think it was $27, but they had a good supply of other brands too. I've been picking up "broken bag" stock when possible and ask for a discount and they usually give me a good deal. I got about 5 bags of Kamado Joe Large Lump - cut open bags, at 50% off a while back at Lowes...they were not missing too much.

Unfortunately, the most common - Royal Oak, is the one I don't like much. Picked up a bag of Master Chef at Canadian Tire to try as well.
Grant, let us know what you think of the Master Chef. I picked up three bags of Weber briquettes today to try. Will probably only use it in my Smokey Joe Mini smoker so it will be awhile before I try it.

I'll report back when i try it. I bought it because I heard that the Masterchef Lump is sourced from Royal Oak USA - not our blue bag RO stuff more common here (which I have never liked)....though I have not been able to confirm that.

Since I just got back into charcoal grilling last fall I am not too familiar with charcoal and prices. I was in the Walmart looking for Pasta de Huacatay for some Peruvian Chicken and saw this 16# bag for $8.97. Is this good or bad charcoal and price? Thanks
20210305_150916.jpg

It's $15 up here (Alberta, Canada), so that converts to about $12 US...never that cheap here. Not sure about compared to your other states.

I'll report back when i try it. I bought it because I heard that the Masterchef Lump is sourced from Royal Oak USA - not our blue bag RO stuff more common here (which I have never liked)....though I have not been able to confirm that.
I bought a bag of the blue bag RO last fall when Walmart had it on clearance. Haven’t tried it yet. What didn’t you like about it?

I had to stop at walmart last night with my better half, and snooped around their seasonal section here in Winnipeg. I noticed they had R.O. Lump (blue bag) R.O. Ridges (very small bag.) R.O. Classic (Orange bag.) KBB and KBB pro. No prices listed at the time of my visit as it was all being pulled off of the pallets.

My regular go to is RO classic and Walmart has the cheapest price near me. Haven’t checked this springs prices there yet. HD and Costco are 100 klm away.

I bought a bag of the blue bag RO last fall when Walmart had it on clearance. Haven’t tried it yet. What didn’t you like about it?
I bought 3 or 4 twin packs when Walmart had it on sale in summer 2019. It was fine for cooking in the WSM and for short high-heat cooks (burgers, chicken breasts, pork chops, etc.) but I didn't care for it when doing longer high-heat cooks as it just burned down too quickly and it didn't seem to burn as hot as KBB. After I used up my last bag, I went back to KBB and have no plans to buy the blue bag RO again.

The blue bag RO seems to be lower quality than the Ridge charcoal that Lowe's sells (It's the same stuff as the red and yellow bag RO that they used to sell, they just changed the bag and the name).

Since I just got back into charcoal grilling last fall I am not too familiar with charcoal and prices. I was in the Walmart looking for Pasta de Huacatay for some Peruvian Chicken and saw this 16# bag for $8.97. Is this good or bad charcoal and price? Thanks

Best price for KBB is usually Lowes and HD. 40 pounds of KBB for $20 standard price, a few bucks less during Mem Day and Labor Day sales.

Joe, did you find the huacatay there? Not in a million years at the ones here in town! Luckily, there is a Latino grocery store just a few blocks away now and they carry it all the time!
Making Peruvian Chicken this evening!
Just had a killer “Maxwell Street” polish sausage from a joint a few blocks the other direction. Man it was tasty!

Best price for KBB is usually Lowes and HD. 40 pounds of KBB for $20 standard price, a few bucks less during Mem Day and Labor Day sales.
Thanks Jim, So HD and Lowes is about 50 cents per pound and the Walmart price is about 6 cents more per pound at 56 per pound. Now I at least have a ball park for prices and quality. I have a little Royal Oak in
Joe, did you find the huacatay there? Not in a million years at the ones here in town! Luckily, there is a Latino grocery store just a few blocks away now and they carry it all the time!
Making Peruvian Chicken this evening!
Just had a killer “Maxwell Street” polish sausage from a joint a few blocks the other direction. Man it was tasty!
Nope. My wife did a search in the car and Walmart said they had it but did not. That was after we went to 3 Latino markets. We found frozen huacatay at the last one on the way home and will probably grind it up with some water I guess to make a paste. If it doesn't come out good I will get some from Amazon. I have called about 6 latino markets here with no luck but we did find the Aji Amarillo. I plan on marinating the bird tonight and cooking it tomorrow or Monday on either the WGA or Q.

The grocery store that's closest to us got bought out by another chain. :(
And since there is one of the purchasers stores a mile and a half down the road from there, it's going to close down sooner or later.
As soon as I hear of it's closing date, I'm going to go buy all the charcoal I can from them, because they have a really decent price on KBB!
I'll keep you guys informed
So, we heard that the store is closing and that they are starting to discount stuff
Sure enough, twin 12 pound bags of KBB were $17, with a 15% discount, so $14.50 per twin pack.
I snagged 4 twin packs and will go back next weekend and see if they have any more.
Plus, beer was 10% off, so I snagged a sixer of chef juice! 😉

Basically the restrictions are mostly for the forest areas but we happen to be in a fire district that has forest areas so we have no open flame or charcoal use all summer. It's for fire not air quality. No charcoal, firepits, tiki torches, camp fires, even weed eaters and welding torches are forbidden.
As it stands right now pellet grills and gas grills are okay as they are not on the list of what can't be used.
This is the 5th year in a row from April till late October that the fire restrictions will be in place.
I'm very careful when using any of my gassers or the camp chef. A couple of years ago we had a close call when a truck towing a trailer had the safety chain dragging on the highway and started a large grass fire on the large ranch next to were we live. The last picture is houses and outbuildings burning in our housing tract less than a quarter of a mile from our home. As you can see in the picture nothing but dry grass between the fire and us

View attachment 23271

View attachment 23272
Rich are you in the Grandville or Drywell subdivision?

Back