I will just leave this here

Jason,
That does look like a really good deal if the grates are salvageable. There is always one more great deal out there, so sometimes you have to just accept that and let it go. Still, I wouldn’t blame you for jumping. Says one enabler to another :rolleyes:!

LOL. I was just saying to Bruce in Q section that I'm going to pass on this one, even though I don't really want to.

Yah, I agree. If you could salvage the grates, that would be a good flip. Grates would run you $60 or so however.

Well, if you are talking "economical" then you probably don't want to go the SS route. I know for a fact that RCP won't do regular steel. Not that he can't but he says he is all set up for stainless and doesn't want to have to deal with a lot of different metal stock.

I suppose there are fabricators out there that could do it pretty easily and would if they knew there would be a stable market out there for him so that he could set up his equipment and do a bunch of the panels at one time before switching to a different panel or something else entirely.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this so I will post it here.

I just pulled apart my Silver A green head and noticed that the drip pan under the cookbox is aluminum instead of the normal porcelain coated steel? Is that normal on the Silver A's? It is actually the first Silver A I have redone. I am talking about the bigger drip pan just under the cook box, not the small one that holds the disposable trays.

Cost I am sure is the reason. Probably a savings of $3 by going with the aluminum vs porcelain coated steel. It might be looked at as the beginning of the downward slide...hhahaha.

Actually, I thought maybe it was an aftermarket part.

The Spirit E-320 SS I just got also has the aluminum drip pan. I don't know how hard it is to clean, but for not rusting out it may not be such bad thing. I wish they kept "body on frame" construction when they went to closed in cabinets. They could have made the sides, bottom, and back out of aluminum, too since it wouldn't have been structural and the rust problems would never have been an issue.

I had one of those aluminum trays on my first Skyline Spirit "520" and after de-greasing and cleaning like crazy, it looked OK, just quite a few rusty "dots." No structural issue or rusted edges like you sometimes see on the bigger porcelain trays. But a new one is "only" $22 bucks Bruce! cha-ching.

Nah, it will clean up fine in minutes. I don't see any problem reusing it. It isn't one of those in your face pieces so I am not worried about the looks. Flavorizer bars and grates are another story.

But, yah, aluminum does corrode. I have found many of the bottom drip pans that have holes in them from corrosion. I guess the grease has some kind of acidic properties to it, and if it sits in the pan long enough, will eat through it.

Back