I will just leave this here

No, not all platinums had stainless frames. The only Genesis Platinum or otherwise grills that had the stainless frames was two years from 2004-2005 or 2005-2006. They did make platinums other years that did not have the stainless frames.
Were you not in the discussion the other day? Weber seems to have continued production of the stainless frame Genny Platinum for a few years after the 310/320 were introduced. I have the proof sitting out on my deck.

But yeah - an older Platinum with the removable thermometer on the right side like the Gold in the OP will have a painted non-stainless frame.

Lee, I do remember that conversation, but I guess I just assumed the sticker was a misprint or something like that.

Lee,
I don't understand your sticker, either. I know from the catalogs and even memory that Weber only made the stainless Platinum Genesis and Summit for 2 years - 2005 and 2006. In 2007 they went to the first 300 series Genesis grills and the new 3rd generation Summit:

The 2006 catalog has the last year of the Genesis Platinum and Summit Platinum:

I can't say for certain that Weber didn't do like Kaiser back in the 40s and resticker leftover Genesis Platinum stock and sell them though some outlets, but it was not one of their catalog offerings after 2006.

I can't say for certain that Weber didn't do like Kaiser back in the 40s and resticker leftover Genesis Platinum stock and sell them though some outlets…
I’d still wager that’s exactly what they did. Whether the frames were already built or not, everything was already tooled, so they probably just kept them alive as a premium offering exclusive to favored retailers. Even today, you have things like an 18” Compact Kettle (a Jumbo Joe on legs) popping up for sale at at Kroger.

Lee, I do remember that conversation, but I guess I just assumed the sticker was a misprint or something like that.
If mine were the only one, I might buy the misprint theory. There was at least one other grill in that thread with a post-2006 build code, though.

Not without surgery. The 13-bar fire box is a bit wider than this one, so the whole package doesn’t quite fit together.

No, not all platinums had stainless frames. The only Genesis Platinum or otherwise grills that had the stainless frames was two years from 2004-2005 or 2005-2006. They did make platinums other years that did not have the stainless frames.

Ok thanks for the information

I just looked up the warranty on the kamado's and it is the same 10 year as the kettle. I would think for the amount of $$ they would make it at least 15 or 20.

That is a great rehab candidate. Sure the floor and sides of the cabinet will have to go, but that frame is the cream of the crop for Genesis grills.

If someone picks it up, I would be interested in the swing-up tables. I have a platinum that I am restoring with similar rust issues, so going to convert it to an open cart.

Back